Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2008, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

Default so i got all my parts except...

the freakin ram . so I wanna know if its alright to put togather everything, then wait till thursday for the ram. I know it's better to wait but..I can't take it anymore..all this new stuff sitting in my room and i haven't even touched em. I'm partically worried about the thermal paste. if i let it set will it harden and mess up my cpu? also, I tried out the psu to see which way the fans blow, problem is it didnt start up...are all the parts soppose to be connected for the psu to start up?
Old December 9, 2008, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You could assemble everything now, and then wait for your ram, although I usually do 1st boot outside the case to make sure everything works before I assemble it.

And you'll need to hook up the power switch or jumper the pins in order for the PSU to start up if you want to test it.

As for the thermal paste, if it's the stock Intel one it's no problem to leave it for now. I'm unsure about the aftermarket pastes, I always use them just before I install the heatsink.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippoh View Post
the freakin ram . so I wanna know if its alright to put togather everything, then wait till thursday for the ram. I know it's better to wait but..I can't take it anymore..all this new stuff sitting in my room and i haven't even touched em. I'm partically worried about the thermal paste. if i let it set will it harden and mess up my cpu? also, I tried out the psu to see which way the fans blow, problem is it didnt start up...are all the parts soppose to be connected for the psu to start up?
How did you start the PSU?

Did you "Jump" it with a piece of wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton

Last edited by Supergrover; February 8, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old December 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know there's a much better guide out there for starting a PSU, but you can start it by connecting the motherboard and CPU (even for this test you need your heat sink!) to your power supply using the ATX and the 4/8 pin connector. The mobo / cpu / psu should start up and complain that there is no RAM.

If you're like me and you want to stick wires into the PSU to turn it on, remember that some PSUs require a load on the 5V rail and / or the 3.3V rail for their fans to start up. If you want to jumpstart your PSU without the mobo attached, I recommend that you don't attach anything expensive as a dummy load, because the rails of the PSU can do very strange stuff if what you're attaching isn't a real computer. I've seen stuff as messed as 3V on the 12V rail while I was trying to start up old PSUs in my robotics lab.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

I built mine over a period of about 4 or 5 months, buying stuff as it came on sale.
You can put it together, do some early wire managment, put the drives in,
fish for that screw that drops down to where its hard to reach.
You should be able to assemble almost everything to get to the point where your ready to put the ram in and power it on.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
I built mine over a period of about 4 or 5 months, buying stuff as it came on sale.
You can put it together, do some early wire managment, put the drives in,
fish for that screw that drops down to where its hard to reach.
You should be able to assemble almost everything to get to the point where your ready to put the ram in and power it on.

You my friend have the Patience of a saint I on the other hand have a patience of a 2 year old kid. I would go nutsssssss if i had to wait 4-5 months to get something done. Granted my Watercooling projects did take me 4-6 days which in that was a hella long time but i had my old build to keep me busy.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old December 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
You my friend have the Patience of a saint I on the other hand have a patience of a 2 year old kid. I would go nutsssssss if i had to wait 4-5 months to get something done. Granted my Watercooling projects did take me 4-6 days which in that was a hella long time but i had my old build to keep me busy.

Its more planning than patience, but if you ever want to do software, it does take alot of both.
Most of my projects and product designs at work take a year or more to complete so I'm used to it.
Old December 10, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:

Its more planning than patience, but if you ever want to do software, it does take alot of both.
Most of my projects and product designs at work take a year or more to complete so I'm used to it.

Lol funny you brought that up i still remember my days with Visual Basic and C+ Programing hated it and never looked back i could do it. I switched to Computer hardware/Networking. I found it more enjoyable building networks and computers. Never looked back.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old December 10, 2008, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:

I agree. I have been waiting to build the rig that is mostly arrived and sitting in pieces in my room... for about 6 months.

Tension.. building...
Old December 10, 2008, 04:14 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

wtf guys? The computer will be obsolete by the time it's done?