Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2008, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Gaming Core i7 build

Hello again. I recently posted a thread about upgrading my computer to a E8400, P5Q pro setup to fit within my original $500 budget. Since then i decided I wanted to go bleeding edge with it and spend a little (a lot) more money for something that will last me longer. So here it is:

Parts I'm keeping:
Antec P180 w/ 3x120MM casefans
Seagate 300GB HDD
Seagate 500GB HDD
X-fi Xtreme audio
OCZ Gamexstrem 650W PSU
LG DVD drive
Vista ultimate 64-bit
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 626Mhz 896MB 2.1Ghz

New parts:
Intel Core i7 920 ~$350
Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 ~$325
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 ~$300
Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink ~$80

Total: $1000 + tax and shipping. Prices are estimates based on current and recent pricing.

Concerns:

1. Not sure about the mobo. So far this appears to be the cheapest but is still has more options than I need (i.e. triple PCI-E)

2. I noticed the gigabyte mobo has a built in, one-click OC option built-in, is this any good or should I plan to overclock manually? (never overclocked before but willing to put the time in to figure it out)

3. I plan to buy this either on boxing day or late in January. Will there be much of a price different between now and then? Will there be newer, lower-end mobos that support Core i7 by then?

4. Finally and most importantly, will my PSU be able to handle this sytem assuming a moderate overclock (3.2ish)? I don't want to buy a new one unless i absolutely have to.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind i'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible obviously. I'm hoping to fund some of the cost by selling my old parts

Thanks

-G
Old December 7, 2008, 10:08 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'd say you're good to go. Nice rig. I'd expect a price drop in January, and some mid range x58 boards.
Old December 7, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm hoping to fund some of the cost by selling my old parts
Or be like myself and keep throwing them in the closet..befire you know it you'll have enough "spare parts" for that 2nd Rig......I miss my old 2nd Rig, used to have it sitting beside my new one, so that when I managed to pull a "bob Zone" move, I still had access to all these great support Forums to help bail myself out :)

Old December 8, 2008, 04:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Evylldemon, you've got a great build picked out there! Now to answer your questions, the motherboard you picked out is a GREAT motherboard, well worth the price(if it wasn't for the fruit loop colours ). You may not need some features offered by it, but the features that you would use are of such high calibre, that I'd stick with it and not go with some "budget" board.

As for the built in OC feature, if your willing to spend the time learning how to properly OC, I would not even consider some "automatic" OC tool, too many issues could occur by its use. If your gonna be going for a mild OC. the heatsink you got picked out is, well one of the best air cooled heatsinks money can buy. As for the PSU, I would not trust it AT ALL, it MAY barely be enough, but I would not put any trust into it, even at stock.

Look at something like a Corsair\PCP&C\Silverstone 750Watt and up PSU in your price range(whatever it is).

One last note, 3.2GHz? Thats LOW, with a TRUE 120 as you've got, these things should easily clock to 3.6GHz with no effort at all, 4.0ish with a bit of effort and proper cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Or be like myself and keep throwing them in the closet..befire you know it you'll have enough "spare parts" for that 2nd Rig......I miss my old 2nd Rig, used to have it sitting beside my new one, so that when I managed to pull a "bob Zone" move, I still had access to all these great support Forums to help bail myself out :)
Hahaha, my "Spare Parts" PC fever catching on?
Old December 8, 2008, 08:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Call me conservitive, but I tend to hold off on new Tech releases until they become established in the Tech world.
If your board can support it, I'd Opt for a Q6600 + and up processor and call it a day from there.
Few Programs and Games out there right now support 4 Core Multi-threading anyways, so going bleeding edge while it is still brand new might not be the best option.
Again, just an opinion.
With the right cooling, you can make a Q processor mighty fast with less of a cost.

However, that being said, the high end i7 does look promising for OC (with the Multiplyer comming unlocked), but that setup will set you back $1K +

In the end, its your call, but I think your setup just needs a few tweaks.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 8, 2008, 09:15 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I think I could squeeze in a 750W PSU into the budget if I could find one for $100 or less. I remember seeing the corsair TX750 on NCIX for $95 during the black friday sale so hopefully it comes down to that again on boxing day or ideally PCP&C cuz i'm partial the brand.

With a new PSU i won't be as worried about OC'ing so I'll probably try for something closer to 3.6.

Hopefully by the time I buy it I can find 6GB of CAS 8 RAM at 1600 for cheap. NCIX had 2GB packs of the OCZ stuff on black friday but was limited to 1 per customer so it woulda been too complicated to try to get more.

Does anyone know if the thermalright ultra 120 LGA1366 is bigger than the LGA775 version? I know the 775 version will fit in the p180 so I assume the 1366 one will too. Also what does TRUE 120 mean? is that just another name for it? should I be looking for a bolt-thru kit (does it come with push-ins or a proper backplate)? And finally is the fan that comes with it good or should I expect to buy a different one?

Thanks again guys for all the input. As for the spare parts I'll pretty much have all the things I need, short of a case, for a complete second computer if I replace my PSU. Maybe I'll buy a cheap case and sell the thing as a whole piece to someone. I also have a 3 year old dell sitting in my closet I should probably sell. Or I could just leave them running as a Folding machine...

Old stuff:
E6600
ASUS P5N-32 SLI SE Deluxe
2x1GB OCZ Gold DDR2-800 5-5-5-12
EVGA Nvidia 7950 GX2
some old DVD drive
120GB HDD
OCZ gamextream 650W PSU
Old December 8, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Look at something like a Corsair\PCP&C\Silverstone 750Watt and up PSU in your price range(whatever it is).

One last note, 3.2GHz? Thats LOW, with a TRUE 120 as you've got, these things should easily clock to 3.6GHz with no effort at all, 4.0ish with a bit of effort and proper cooling.

Hahaha, my "Spare Parts" PC fever catching on?

Great suggestions from Chilly, the only argument I have here is that while great PSU's, the PCP&C are made by OCZ. (PCP&C is an OCZ Group company) Different marketing direction but identical PSU's really.

OP: The mobo you're looking at is really damn nice, I've been on the fence over it myself. Although in the end I think I've chosen different; but my build is also different. I think for your i7 920 you really can't go wrong. There may be a lot of features that seem overwhelming but in the long wrong that GB really is one of the top i7 boards right now.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 8, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evylldemon View Post
I think I could squeeze in a 750W PSU into the budget if I could find one for $100 or less. I remember seeing the corsair TX750 on NCIX for $95 during the black friday sale so hopefully it comes down to that again on boxing day or ideally PCP&C cuz i'm partial the brand.
Good plan, I see the TX750 down around $100 give or take a few dollars at NCIX all the time. Personally I'd say that if you have the cash, the second you see it at 100 give or take, just grab it.

Quote:
With a new PSU i won't be as worried about OC'ing so I'll probably try for something closer to 3.6.
When you get all your parts in, if you need any help with it, just ask, many experienced people here with that same combo! We'll all be sure to help you best we can!

Quote:
Does anyone know if the thermalright ultra 120 LGA1366 is bigger than the LGA775 version? I know the 775 version will fit in the p180 so I assume the 1366 one will too. Also what does TRUE 120 mean? is that just another name for it? should I be looking for a bolt-thru kit (does it come with push-ins or a proper backplate)? And finally is the fan that comes with it good or should I expect to buy a different one?
They are the exact same size, only difference is the mounting hardware that comes with it. TRUE 120 stands for ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120. Personally I would get a better fan than the one that comes with it, but if $$$ is an issue, it will do you well. As for if it comes with push-pin's or a proper backplate, I do not know, hopefully someone else on here knows.

Quote:
Thanks again guys for all the input. As for the spare parts I'll pretty much have all the things I need, short of a case, for a complete second computer if I replace my PSU. Maybe I'll buy a cheap case and sell the thing as a whole piece to someone. I also have a 3 year old dell sitting in my closet I should probably sell. Or I could just leave them running as a Folding machine...
Crunch for the HWC BONIC Rosetta team!
Old December 8, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try posting in the FS/T/WTB forum for a TX750 or something along those lines, someone may have one!

Also; The new 1366 TRUE uses a backplate and bolts just like the 775 as far I know.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Deciding now whether to wait until boxing day or order in the next couple days. NCIX has some good deals on all 3 things I want right now but I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of waiting and hopefully getting a better deal on the 26th or losing out and having to pay more... I'll keep you updated when I get the build going and OC stable.

If anyone else has some input into the "will the 650W PSU be enough" question please let me know. I'm gonna make another thread in the PSU forum about it. I'm trying to avoid buying a new one if I don't absolutely need to.