Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2008, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Smile building gaming pc, need some suggestions

Hi all , i'm looking to build a pc very soon (in time for xmas hopefully), and i really need some advice on parts since i've been out of the loop for quite a few years (last build was an p4 ).

To answer some of the questions in the sticky:
1. This pc will be used for gaming. Maybe some movies etc but mainly for gaming.

2. I have a temporary budget of around 1500 or lower if possible. I'm willing to go a little higher if needed but of course cheaper the better. :)

3. I'm in Ontario.
4. Brand preference: Intel and nVidia only.
5. I'm planning to do some overclock, but nothing extreme though (not planning on water-cooling so yeah).

6. I'm planning to get everything built before the 23th. I can only start building after the 18th because i'm in university and have stupid finals coming up sigh.. So right now i want to get all the parts i need, to be ready to go.

CPU
Intel E8400 $200
I need suggestion on a decent CPU cooler. I'm looking at the ZALMAN CNPS9700 thing but really not sure as i have never used any aftermarket fan before.

Mobo
Asus P5Q Pro $153

Memory
OCZ Platinum XTC rev.2 2x1Gb dual channel kit $50

Video
XFX GTX 260 Black Edition $349

Sound
Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer $117

Case
LIAN LI PC-P60 $260 ???
I'm looking for a big case that has a air filter. I'm using an Antec 900 rev.2 now, but I had a hard time hiding all the cables and it's a dust magnet. This lian-li is (too) expansive, i know, but i feel like i have no choice. If someone has a cheaper alternative please do tell. :)

PSU
I'm debating between the 750tx $145 and the 620hx $186. The cabling nightmare from my current pc makes me wanna go with the modular 620hx, but 750tx is so much cheaper. ...

Monitor
22" Samsung 2253BW ???
I really have no idea here. I play FPS games mainly so i guess i'm looking for a LCD with 2ms response. But things like color depth, contrast ratio etc i really don't understand at all. All I know is that i would like to be able to actually see people inside bomb site B on de_train in Counter Strike. :D right now i can't see people under the train at all, everything's so dark lol.

HDDs etc
i will be using the 2 sata + 1 ide + 1 lite-on cd/dvd writer drives from my current pc.

Others
Keyboard and mouse and speakers will be from current pc.

Total $ so far (all price rounded to dollar and don't include MIR):
200 (cpu) + 153 (mobo) + 50 (memory) + 349 (gfx) + 117 (sound) + 260 (case) + 186 (psu 620hx) = $ 1315

So are these good choices for my gaming pc and are the prices fair?
Old December 7, 2008, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What OS are you planning on using ie 32 Bit or 64 Bit....?
1. Great deal on Mushkin Redline Memory at DC right now $77 2 x 2GB - Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada
2. Not sure about that XFX GPU, but this would be a great choice as well - EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 Core 216 SC 626MHZ 896MB 2.1GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E 2XDVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - DirectCanada
3. Partial to the PC Power and Cooling Quad Silencer 750W - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W ATX V2.2 EPS12V 24PIN SLI Active PFC Power Supply Black - DirectCanada
4. Case only $174 - good reviews - NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower Black EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio - RC-932-KKN1 In Canada.

Looks good overall! - Do you plan on OC'ing that E8400?..if so pick up a decent HSF!

Old December 7, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can't people just follow the parts listed in the other threads? Getting tired of repeating myself. There have been quite a few threads recently where they're asking for suggestions on a $1500 or so gaming build. Check those threads out please.

First of all, your parts are overpriced. Remember to use the price match feature, and to check NCIX/Direct Canada out, and Canada Computers as well, depending on where you live. Oh, and don't forget about rebates.

Here's a quick suggestion on what you should get:

Intel E8400/Q6600
ASUS P5Q Pro or Gigabyte EP45-DS3L/DS3R
Patriot/OCZ/Corsair/Mushkin 4GB RAM. I would go with DDR800 RAM because I see no point in purchasing DDR 1000 RAM, but that's me.
NVIDIA GTX 260 Core 216, or ATI 4870 <--- prices are dropping to around $200 USD
Corsair 620HX
OCZ Vendetta 2

Don't purchase a sound card yet. Integrated sound has come a long way, and some integrated solutions such as the ones found on certain Gigabyte EP45 motherboards perform just as well as a dedicated sound card. Of course, the speakers that you're using is a factor as well.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
What OS are you planning on using ie 32 Bit or 64 Bit....?
1. Great deal on Mushkin Redline Memory at DC right now $77 2 x 2GB - Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada
2. Not sure about that XFX GPU, but this would be a great choice as well - EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 Core 216 SC 626MHZ 896MB 2.1GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E 2XDVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - DirectCanada
3. Partial to the PC Power and Cooling Quad Silencer 750W - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W ATX V2.2 EPS12V 24PIN SLI Active PFC Power Supply Black - DirectCanada
4. Case only $174 - good reviews - NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower Black EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio - RC-932-KKN1 In Canada.

Looks good overall! - Do you plan on OC'ing that E8400?..if so pick up a decent HSF!
I'll Second everything although the hx620 is a great PSU too.
+1 for the OCZ or maybe a TRUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Can't people just follow the parts listed in the other threads? Getting tired of repeating myself.
Then don't!!
Guys just like everyone else...looking for a little help cut him slack..hell he even listed everything and pretty much followed what is required! Welcome to HWC Happy Bunny..hopefully we can be of assistance :)

Old December 7, 2008, 10:04 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Get a quad core!

Sigh.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Get a quad core!
Hey what do you think Squeetard...new OEM QX9650 for $550 or a new retail Q9550 for $400 ? Sorry Happy Bunny for throwing this in thier...

Old December 7, 2008, 11:10 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

My calcs say the unlocked multipliers are only good for the extreme ln2 type cooling crowd. But $550 is a hella good price.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
But $550 is a hella good price.
Thanks.......damn Xmas :(....hahahahaha

Old December 8, 2008, 08:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think the Coolermaster HAF 932 is the best case for that build.
After all, you DON"T have to remove the MB when You swap out Cooling solutions.
Seriously, that is worth the sticker price of that Case.
Also, the Cooling options for that Beat out any other Case to date.

The rest of your parts seem sound, Quad-Core is a good choice if you want Longivity of your build.
Otherwise find a Nice E8600 3.33GHz and call it a day from there if you're on a budget.

Good Luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com