Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 6, 2008, 11:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 141

My System Specs

Question Final Build, With Some Changes....

I got the following prices from Filtech, I did have to take some stuff out and make a few changes to get within my budget...here it is with prices, anything else anyone can think of:

CPU: Intel Core i7 965; $1289

Mobo: ASUS Rampage II Extreme ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI CrossFire SLI; 479.99

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card; 589.99

Soundcard: Temp. use the onboard sound

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive; $132

DVD: DVD/CD Writer; $33

PSU: PC&C T1200ESA; 489.99

RAM: OCZ triple channel kit; $315

CASE: CM HAF; $166 (I have seen the Cosmo S, it's nice big case)

Monitor: Samsung 2253BW; 215.19

OS/1: WinXP Pro; $170
OS/2: WinVista Home Premium 64-bit; $125

-----------------------------------------------
Currently having trouble locating a reseller

Keyboard: Razer Tarantula (Retail box)
Mouse: Razer Lachesis (Retail box)
Mouse Pad: Razer Destructor (Retail box)
-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mlauzon; December 6, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 6, 2008, 11:56 PM
punk_zappa's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 965
Default

WOW!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 12:07 AM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,785

My System Specs

Default

Very nice...however, considering what your spending, I would:
- nix that "army" Case and go with a nice Silverstone Temjin TJ09 / 07 or 10
- Save some coin and go with the Silverstone 1200W PSU
- go with a GTX 280 SSC or FTW and plan on SLI'ing that puppy (not sure how great Drivers and performance of Quad SLI 4870x2 is)...oh...and I'm nVidia partial :)

Nice build - Didn't notice a HSF..Thermaltake 1200 is what I believe folks are utilizing for LGA 1333
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 01:08 AM
Babrbarossa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 3,673

My System Specs

Default

I agree with rjbarker- what kind of cooling solution are you going with?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 02:06 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 141

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Very nice...however, considering what your spending, I would:
- nix that "army" Case and go with a nice Silverstone Temjin TJ09 / 07 or 10
- Save some coin and go with the Silverstone 1200W PSU
- go with a GTX 280 SSC or FTW and plan on SLI'ing that puppy (not sure how great Drivers and performance of Quad SLI 4870x2 is)...oh...and I'm nVidia partial :)

Nice build - Didn't notice a HSF..Thermaltake 1200 is what I believe folks are utilizing for LGA 1333

I am going with a lower price case, because I do have a budget cap, the TJ09 is almost $300 and my earlier build was over $5000 which I don't have.

Also, ATi is called Crossfire, not SLI.


I am just going to be using stock cooling options right now, so next year I'll by the more advanced cooling solutions.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 02:15 AM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
I am going with a lower price case, because I do have a budget cap, the TJ09 is almost $300 and my earlier build was over $5000 which I don't have.

Also, ATi is called Crossfire, not SLI.


I am just going to be using stock cooling options right now, so next year I'll by the more advanced cooling solutions.
I think rjbarker meant that you should save some money and get a GTX280, and then SLI it down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 02:58 AM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,785

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
I think rjbarker meant that you should save some money and get a GTX280, and then SLI it down the road.
Exactly.....
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 04:04 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 141

My System Specs

Default

Sorry, getting the 4870 X2, which beats the 280 in non-Crossfire mode...read some reviews.

Last edited by mlauzon; December 7, 2008 at 04:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 05:56 AM
Babrbarossa's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 3,673

My System Specs

Default

If you have a budget cap, then without a moment's hesitation, I would spend 50 bucks on a good aftermarket cooler, and SAVE $900 by going with an i7 920 and SAVE another $100 and go with the p6t or a cheaper board- then spend five minutes overclocking that 920 so that it's FASTER than the 965.

Result- faster computer, $950 not wasted.

That motherboard is overkill (even if you are overclocking) if you're not, then it definitely is. If you definitely don't want to OC, then I'd even wait until the consumer lines of LGA1366 boards came out and get one for $150.

Also, re: the 280- the other posters weren't saying that it's faster than the gx2, just that it is probably better value as it is almost as fast and $200 cheaper, so that if you are on a budget and want the option to upgrade later, you could always pick up a second one down the road for some very good SLI scaling.

That would bring your total savings to 1150.

Also- are you buying two OSes because you need to run older programs with no Vista support? If this isn't the case, you couls save another 150 by just going with Vista- it's a pretty solid OS nowadays.

But if you just need to know that you have the most expensive CPU and most expensive motherboard, and the most expensive GPU, then do what you need to do- it's good for the economy

Last edited by Babrbarossa; December 7, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old December 7, 2008, 11:17 AM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,785

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Sorry, getting the 4870 X2, which beats the 280 in non-Crossfire mode...read some reviews.
Trust me when I say I've read my share of Reviews and in all honesty, Benchmarks are only 1 Factor, others to consider are:
1. Heat n noise
2. Driver Support
3. Warranties
4. Customer Service
5. Step-up Programs
6. As Barb mentioned, the ability of 2 Cards, whether it be Crossfire or SLI to "scale" properly considering the Driver Support
With that said, I didn't mean the 280 was faster than a 4870x2....
If you have a budget cap, then without a moment's hesitation, I would spend 50 bucks on a good aftermarket cooler, and SAVE $900 by going with an i7 920 and SAVE another $100 and go with the p6t or a cheaper board- then spend five minutes overclocking that 920 so that it's FASTER than the 965.

Result- faster computer, $950 not wasted.

Quote:
That motherboard is overkill (even if you are overclocking) if you're not, then it definitely is. If you definitely don't want to OC, then I'd even wait until the consumer lines of LGA1366 boards came out and get one for $150.

Also, re: the 280- the other posters weren't saying that it's faster than the gx2, just that it is probably better value as it is almost as fast and $200 cheaper, so that if you are on a budget and want the option to upgrade later, you could always pick up a second one down the road for some very good SLI scaling.

That would bring your total savings to 1150.

Also- are you buying two OSes because you need to run older programs with no Vista support? If this isn't the case, you couls save another 150 by just going with Vista- it's a pretty solid OS nowadays.

But if you just need to know that you have the most expensive CPU and most expensive motherboard, and the most expensive GPU, then do what you need to do- it's good for the economy
Well said and I agree completely with Babrbarossa...those are all valid points and you really could save a whack of coin with the end result being a more responsice System then your posted specs.

Anyhoo, ......go for it!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes