Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2008, 04:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Old Board, New CPU

I am currently in the process of buying a new CPU and I want to know what you guys think is a good option for me. I currently have an ASUS Striker II Formula motherboard and OCZ Reaper 1066 mhz memory. Which CPUs are good options for this board. I am heavy into gaming and encoding video. I currently have a 65nm Q6600 and i really like it but i am moving it to another machine. I hear that the 45nm Q6600's are nice but I wouldn't mind something better that i can overclock. What do you guys think? (i dont want to get too crazy, maybe around 400 bucks)
Old November 30, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, 1st of all...welcome to HWC InfamousBert. There is no 45nm Q6600...maybe you're thinking the Q8200 is this, but it's different than the Q6600. If you can spend $400...that's perfect... the Q9550 has a nice 8.5x multiplier(if you are going to overclock..that's a plus).

This is a great deal , with free shipping as well.

GL
Old December 1, 2008, 08:33 AM
Allstar

I would stay with the Q6600GO. It's one hell of a processor and it's proven it's worth. I would stick with what you have until the i7 market matures - maybe Q3 of next year. You will not notice any gaming difference if you move to any other processor.

CHEERS
Old December 3, 2008, 01:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

thx for the input, I must have been thinking of something else thats different. i think it was the stepping. I have the older version. anyhow, i think i can squeeze another year out of the 6600 and upgrade to something newer once prices drop. thanks guys.
Old December 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousBert View Post
thx for the input, I must have been thinking of something else thats different. i think it was the stepping. I have the older version. anyhow, i think i can squeeze another year out of the 6600 and upgrade to something newer once prices drop. thanks guys.
np

CHEERS