Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 04:09 AM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default Another Nehalem Build

Okay, I missed the other deal, so I'm going to stay away from them now. PM all the way.

Anyways, heres my revised build:
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - $137.00 (This is probably silent enough)

EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 Core 216 576MHZ 896MB 1.99GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out *IR-$71* -$308.88 (Nothing much, but I'll probably SLI down the road..)

G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-3GBNQ 3GB DDR3 3X1GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - $109.29 (Not sure about this one, but was the cheapest kit @ NCIX)

Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 3PCI-E SATA Sound 2GLAN 3-WAY CrossFireX SLI Mo *IR-$10* - $395.92 (Read somewhere that it overclocks good, with the silent pipe or something)

Intel Core I7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S - $354.99

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT Heatpipe Cooler LGA1366 120MM Fan FDB 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM - $74.55 (Is this good or bad? Probably would want to replace the fan though)
All the prices are PMed prices. The total, with all my other non-important goodies, comes to
$1,491.03, while with tax and all, $1,669.95.

Good, bad, anything to change?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 05:02 AM
Sniper's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax NS
Posts: 700
Default

Looks like a good setup. I'd not go cheap with your ram though. Get the best you can or at least go with 2Gb sticks if you don't want to go faster timings. You won't be disappointed If you did I don't think.

What are you going with for case,hdd ect?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 06:12 AM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

I agree with sniper about the ram, at least try to fit a 6GB kit kit in your budget, DDR3-1600 as well. As for the heat sink, its an excellent choice, I hear nothing but great things about the Ultra 120(the TRUE is one of the best air coolers around). I'm also assuming your gonna reuse your case HDD and etc correct? If thats the case other than the ram your build looks excellent, good choices all around.

That being said if you can't fit it in your budget for a 6GB kit, the 3GB kit will serve you very well in the meanwhile.

Don't forget to load rosetta up on it once you build it

Last edited by Chilly; November 29, 2008 at 06:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 02:48 PM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Looks like a good setup. I'd not go cheap with your ram though. Get the best you can or at least go with 2Gb sticks if you don't want to go faster timings. You won't be disappointed If you did I don't think.

What are you going with for case,hdd ect?
I doubt I'll be able to fit a 6GB kit into my budget, since I already reached my budget.

Also, for case, I bought the MM H2GO from TerenceJ, so I'll be using that. As for the HDD, since I'm already tight on budget, I'm going to be using some old IDEs for the time being, until I get more money to afford a good hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I agree with sniper about the ram, at least try to fit a 6GB kit kit in your budget, DDR3-1600 as well. As for the heat sink, its an excellent choice, I hear nothing but great things about the Ultra 120(the TRUE is one of the best air coolers around). I'm also assuming your gonna reuse your case HDD and etc correct? If thats the case other than the ram your build looks excellent, good choices all around.

That being said if you can't fit it in your budget for a 6GB kit, the 3GB kit will serve you very well in the meanwhile.

Don't forget to load rosetta up on it once you build it
Well, obviously I'll load rosetta up, I'm officially addicted right now, since this build is mainly for folding. And I guess a... little gaming..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 03:02 PM
LCB001's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aylmer QC.
Posts: 1,774

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I doubt I'll be able to fit a 6GB kit into my budget, since I already reached my budget.

Also, for case, I bought the MM H2GO from TerenceJ, so I'll be using that. As for the HDD, since I'm already tight on budget, I'm going to be using some old IDEs for the time being, until I get more money to afford a good hard drive.

Well, obviously I'll load rosetta up, I'm officially addicted right now, since this build is mainly for folding. And I guess a... little gaming..
At least you've got your priorities in the right order, and that 260 will be great for F@H ...
__________________
Folding For Team 54196

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 08:57 PM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,667

My System Specs

Default

It better be good - check out my i7 rig.

4.0 on Air.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 08:59 PM
encorp's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,425

My System Specs

Default

Memory is the strong point with i7, don't cheap out on it.

:)
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 09:09 PM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default

But the kit I listed isn't THAT bad, is it?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 09:14 PM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,667

My System Specs

Default

It's the same kit I'm using...
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 29, 2008, 09:19 PM
encorp's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,425

My System Specs

Default

Not the kit! Just go with 6gb! hehehe
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes