Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2008, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

Default Questions about saving info on HDD

I will be using my current HDDs in next week's build. 500 and 160 gig.

My 500 gig is devided roughly into 450 and 30-odd gigs, with XP running on the 30 gig partition. 30 gigs isnt big enough for me there, I have about 1 gig free atm.

How do you guys set up your partitions (I plan on wiping it all!) so that you can freely reinstall xp monthly, while retaining adobe acrobat, your updates, possibly start menu folders, 'my documents', and all that jazz? How do you do it? just creating shortcuts from your 'non wiped' storage section to the 'my documents' section?

This install will be a clean wipe. Everything goes, start from scratch again. I am saving things like updated vid card drivers, and other utilities (ccleaner, etc) to use on the fresh install. I will probably chunk off about 80 gigs for windows (any preferences?), and keep the remaining ~400 gigs for storage/game downloads/movies/music.

Another question, should I wait till I have the new computer to reinstall windows, or should I save time later by just doing it now? I have another computer I can access the internet with.

Any advice you can give me, tips you learned from reinstalling, all that fun stuff, will be greatly appriciated.

Cheerio,

Dan

p.s. do you have any must-have applications for fresh installs? One that I have found useful is a codec locator for media your computer can't play, called g-spot codec finder.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nlite.... :)

I normally just make a 50G secondary partion for storing my backup files and downloads.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 28, 2008, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

Can anyone else help me with this?
Old November 28, 2008, 04:13 PM
Allstar

I only use 10g for XP and move my docs (and pagefile) to a separate drive, I install all of my programs on the second partition on the first (os) drive..
My images are under 3 gigs no matter how many docs and programs I have and it's really easy to keep multiple backups..
Old November 28, 2008, 04:27 PM
Top Prospect

woah, 10 gigs?! thats awesome!

So, when you reinstall xp, do you have to reinstall all your drivers and such, or does xp still find them on the seperate partition?
Old November 28, 2008, 05:15 PM
Allstar

When I first install my drivers, if they want to extract to the c: drive I change it to the D: drive and then I can either run the executable or just point to the folder in device manager in subsequent installs... Of course if I'm just restoring from an Acronis image I don't have to.
If I'm doing a clean install I still have to reinstall my programs, but I still have my settings and saved games etc because they are on the second partition. ( or the other drive in the case of my documents.)
You can also change the location of your data files for Thunderbird that'll save a bunch of space on your OS drive if you don't keep your emails lean.
Old November 28, 2008, 05:36 PM
Rookie

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that a windows install is hardware dependent. So your idea of saving time now by installing it on another pc would not work.
- 2GB Mushkin HP2
- HX620
- Cooler Master Stacker 810

Old November 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect

by installing it on another pc, you mean reformatting the drive I am using right now that will go into the PC, correct? I don't think that xp is hardware dependant, yeah, thats a good question.
Old November 28, 2008, 05:56 PM
Allstar

I missed that part in the original post.. Not a good idea... If you installed on your current machine and put the drive in your new one, it likely wouldn't even post due to driver incompatibility... If it did post you'd prolly wind up doing a repair and end up with a shakey system anyways.... Best to wait.
Old November 28, 2008, 06:04 PM
Rookie

You should also make the windows partition the first logical partition on the drive as you want that partition to be the fastest.

When I reformat I usually create an image through the windows file transfer wizard, so that it saves all my setting and preferences.
- 2GB Mushkin HP2
- HX620
- Cooler Master Stacker 810