Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2008, 09:45 PM
Rookie

Default Need help choosing a cheap case

Hey guys,
I need help in decding which case should I chose for a little 1-2TB home file server.
I want something that is easy to work with. Looks doesn't matter. For about 50$ b/c DC has 1$ shipping ATM; less would be great though.
I was looking at the Antec 300 and the Coolermaster CAC-T05. Feel free to recommend other cases.

Im gonna put some old parts in there with a new 1TB HDD nad will expand in the future.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobLordSpud View Post
Hey guys,
I need help in decding which case should I chose for a little 1-2TB home file server.
I want something that is easy to work with. Looks doesn't matter. For about 50$ b/c DC has 1$ shipping ATM; less would be great though.
I was looking at the Antec 300 and the Coolermaster CAC-T05. Feel free to recommend other cases.

Im gonna put some old parts in there with a new 1TB HDD nad will expand in the future.
Yeah, the Antec 300 and Coolermaster Elite RC330 are great, cheap cases...with the CM being a little cheaper.
Old November 26, 2008, 05:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Yeah, the Antec 300 and Coolermaster Elite RC330 are great, cheap cases...with the CM being a little cheaper.
My BOINC farm is 90% in CM Elite RC330's - I have one less then a foot away. Not interested in building anything yet today. The hard drive mounting system is sorta brutal.
Also make sure you cut the fan grills in the front and back as I find them sorta restrictive, and if you don't have a spare 120mm fan you will want one for the front. For the price it's a decent case.

Old November 26, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The Antec 300 from what i've read is a great case.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old November 26, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'd go with the Antec 300, relatively easy to work with, decent looks, and cheap to boot. Not a bad choice for a NAS!

If you don't mind me asking, whats your plan/how are you going to go about setting up the file server? Are you gonna use something Linux based like FreeNAS or Openfiler, or Windows based like Windows Home Server?
Old November 26, 2008, 09:04 AM
Rookie

@chilly
Well ATM im more concerned about collecting parts. Since DC has nice shipping deal, I might start with the case since the shipping rates for cases are so high.

I ve been thinking about putting linux on it but I dont know how that works(need to find some readings) so im gonna start by windows server OS. My little bro is still going to use it as a web browser till he gets his gaming rig so thats another reason to go Windows based(I guess he wouldnt like Linux).

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might order a 300 tonight.