Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2008, 08:21 AM
Rookie

Default Insurance Funded x58 build

So a couple weeks ago my house got burgled, bunch of stuff missing etc. So insurance has decided to give me a check to NCIX to build new stuff.

I've got most of what I want figured out, but a few questions left.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming/Desktop, with room for upgrades later.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$2800-$3300, I'm building 3 different computers, so I have room to juggle.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada, NCIX

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Not really, whatever works best.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

No old parts left :P

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Done some research, but there isn't a lot on the x58 stuff yet.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

OC, but not the primary purpose.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Within the next couple weeks.

=======================

What I have planned so far:

Motherboard:
EVGA x58, or maybe Asus Rampage II Extreme is someone can give me a good enough reason to spend the extra cash.

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920

Case:
Coolermaster HAF

PS:
Corsair HX1000

RAM:
Undecided on brand, leaning Mushkin if it's out in time, or maybe G.Skill. 6GB DDR3 1600.

Harddrive(s):
Not sure. Space is not really an issue, around a terabute would be nice. One of the other computers is a file server-ish with 4-6TB in RAID. So speed/price is the issue.
Seagate 1TB, 2x WD 640GB Black in RAID 0, WD Black 1TB?

Video card:
The big decision, ATI or Nvidia. It used to be easy....
Currently leaning toward an EVGA GTX280, but I'm pretty open on this one.

Monitor:
Leaning towards a Samsung T260, but the only review I found for it wasn't too encouraging. I'd like to go up from the 24" I had, but not into the $1000 range.

Cooling:
Noctua U12P w/ adaptor kit to start, Switching to WC later after I figure out exactly what I want/need.
Old November 21, 2008, 08:54 AM
Banned
F@H

If you buy a board with NF200 chips, don't use an ATI card. This gen is Intel/SLi, last gen was Intel/ATI. You are looking at anywhere from 10%-15% performacne loss of your vga if using ATI cards on NF200 chips.
Old November 21, 2008, 12:43 PM
Rookie

I haven't seen anything saying that either the Asus or the EVGA boards are using an NF200. Or have I missed something somewhere?
Old November 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
If you buy a board with NF200 chips, don't use an ATI card. This gen is Intel/SLi, last gen was Intel/ATI. You are looking at anywhere from 10%-15% performacne loss of your vga if using ATI cards on NF200 chips.
Proof? Links? I haven't seen ANYTHING that collaborates this. I know that the NF200 chip *may* harm the performance of ATi cards (as seen from skulltrail) but I was not aware that ANY CURRENT x58 motherboards make use of it. If I remember correctly it was the lack of uptake BY motherboard makers that made nVidia decide to allow SLi to work on "naked" (ie NF200 less) X58 boards.

Last edited by Chilly; November 21, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old November 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
You are looking at anywhere from 10%-15% performacne loss of your vga if using ATI cards on NF200 chips.
I'm a little curious myself - has this been verified? I'd heard there was a latency issue when the NF200 was incorporated into the board, but I have yet to actually find a source.
Old November 21, 2008, 02:57 PM
Banned
F@H

It won't be ANY different than Skulltrail.

I don't bench any more, so I don't have any links, or anything, maybe the guys here could post a review and either quell or enrage the debate?

Boards without the chips will slow tri-SLi, not even sure if they support it...

EDIT:ACTUALLY, for evidence, I'll submit the hotfix driver for X58 Ati has released...why would X58 need a special driver? Maybe to deal with this issue?

Last edited by cadaveca; November 21, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old November 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I thought that you could have 2 cards in sli without the nf200 chip (2x sli native), so the nf200 chip would have no part in 2 pci-e slots, thus not hurting crossfire (or at least making a skulltrail comparison null). This is an assumption on my part though, and I can't seem to find a definite answer to this.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I read on Maximumpc.com that Mushkin has released 16 different kinds of ddr3 3 kit ram sets.

Link: Holy Moly, Mushkin Releases 16 Triple-Channel DDR3 Kits | Maximum PC
Old November 21, 2008, 03:10 PM
Banned
F@H

If the board does not have the NF200, then it has a special key in bios disabling SLi by special function during Windows loading.
Old November 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I have the T260 and have found it a pleasure to use (over the past 2-3 weeks). Yes its a TN panel but even with my photography work I am getting good results (had a friend compare image on his $1K monitor back in Aus and he stated the colors were on par with his panel which is setup using a spyder). No ghosting at all from games, CoD5 has been sharp and has a great depth of color. I Havent used the other ports (outside of DVI) so I can't comment on their capability or function. The USB ports are almost useless unless you intend on just using them for a keyboard or mouse (which resulted in to many cables floating around my tiny desk).

I only paid $479 at ncix (price matched at the time) and for that price I am incredibly happy with the build quality and features of the T260. So thats a thumbs up if your already leaning towards it.