Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2008, 05:12 AM
Top Prospect

Default Core i7, NB 4870 x2 all under water soon. Pics coming as stuff arrives.

After disappointing C0 overclocks(4.5ghz is not enough for dual core at 1.53 volts) I am going to core i7 920.

I know I won't get to 4.5 but I am aiming for minimum 4.1 ghz underwater which should outperform the former on a 4870x2 which is highly cpu strained. (sorry no xfire, I am no renoracer who's probably scraping his car windows with one).

Have six gigabyte of ddr3 all with 7-7-7-20 or better timings. Its just mutt ram, which means I have 3 different brands so I am not sure if it will all work together.

Board I am going with is the gigabyte ex58-extreme.

Hopefully a tpq-850 will power it all.

Have a thermochill pa120.2 but that won't be enough to cool it all down. One more radiator should do it. Which do you guys recommend?

Recently got a 4870 x2 block at a great price.

Also waiting for the adapter kit to convert a dtek fuzion v1 to fit a 1366. Until that comes it going to be running on stock air

Also need a fan controller? San Aces are driving me nuts, they are too loud. Tried three different fan controllers, the original sunbeam one,Zalman ZM-MFC2 and the hardcano 12 se. None of them powered the fans. These things have had to be plugged into directly into the molex connector and its way too loud.

Last edited by sheepdogexpress; December 7, 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Updated.
Old November 20, 2008, 06:06 AM
Top Prospect

get a black ice 360 mm rad and damn man get another 4870x2
dont cheap out on a build like that

its all about whos got the bigger E-Penis lmao J/K
PSU:Koolance 1300 Watt
Graphics: Tri sli XXX GTX280 XXX
HDD:2 Supertalent SSD
LCD:24IN Samsung wide
CASE:TT Armor
Danger Den WC Setup
4 Pelts 226Watt
Old November 20, 2008, 06:15 AM
Allstar

Get an mcr320 if you have the room for a 2nd rad. Won't be disappointed by it for sure! It's actually probably replace the PA120.2 & run everything fine but 2 is better than 1 as they say what? lol
Old November 20, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

The correct radiator for you is the biggest one you can fit. And the MCR series are well-proven.

If the fans in question are all running on Molex connectors, you might try swapping the pins around so that they run in sets of two, in series, which effectively runs them at 6V. They shouldn't have any trouble starting like that, and they'll definitely be much quieter. Of course, this only works if you have an even number of fans, and it's a half or nothing situation, but it might serve as a quick fix.
Old November 20, 2008, 02:44 PM
Allstar

Ek Water Blocks EK-FC 4870 X2
HW Labs Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240

on a seperate swiftech 655 makes for a happy gpu.

Stock was 79C
Now 38C

Just keep in mind that even when using CCC and overclocking to max it does not offer much improvement unless you're willing to flash the bios or use an alternative program. My reasoning was to remove the horrid noise the hsf came with and I'm happy as a pig in mud.

CHEERS
Old November 21, 2008, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't get the black ice.

They require high speed fans to work. The MCR series is better for a lower noise system.
Old November 21, 2008, 06:43 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
Don't get the black ice.

They require high speed fans to work. The MCR series is better for a lower noise system.
I'm using the black ice II with the 655 and a pair of Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120MM Cooling Fan 1200RPM 20.1DBA 49.0CFM FDB fans. My temps are 40C on the 4870x2 in an enclosed case. The rad is located inside the upper portion - not an ideal location but it worked.

CHEERS
Old November 21, 2008, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright then. I'm just going by reviews and tests I've read, as opposed to personal experience, so take my advice with a grain of salt
Old November 21, 2008, 07:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
Don't get the black ice.

Its high pressure, not high speed they require, though (usually) they go hand in hand. But as long as you get a decent type of fan, it shouldn't be a problem, though a 38mm thick fan would still likely give a jump in perfomrance.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

Anyone here heard about any mounting or even new blocks for the 1366? I can't find anything at ncix. I heard the dtek mounting was going to be sold soon, but their is not even a eta soon and I want to get it one water asap.

I seen a dangerden tdx block but I am a haven't heard anything good about the tdx block. I am also interested in the aqua computer block. It looks so nice, but I havent' heard anything in regards to performance on this thing.

I thought the thermochill killed the swiftech series in regards to performance?