Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2008, 09:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default Buildind the comp - Motherboard problem!?

Hey guys, I received half my pieces from NCIX today.

So, as soon as i received the boxes, I started building the computer.

Motherboard, GA-EP45-DS3L
CPU Intel 5200
PSU Corsair 750w (which was cheaper than the 500w :P, amazing rebate)
Tower case = antec 300

For now, untill I receive the rest of my stuff, I'm using an old IDE (I dont know if thats the right term, its the connection which was before SATA) HDD, old DVD and an old 5500GT video card, 1g old valueram stick.
No monitor connected... for now.

So, I installed the CPU in the motherboard, removed the plastic protector etc...
Prepared the cables from the PSU.
Installed the motherboard in the antec 300.
Installed the PSU in the antec 300.
Connected the PSU's connectors to the motherboard, HDD and DVD.

Now, there is 2 weird things happening.
1- I noticed that even tho the cpu heatsink's and case's fans are working...the ATX_12V connector is missing from my power supply. Theres only the bigger "ATX" connector. Is that supposed to be alright?

2- When I plug the HDD or the DVD with the power connector and start the computer, I can hear the noises from the HDD and I see the green blinking light from the DVD. BUT, when I plug the IDE connector from the motherboard to the HDD OR DVD, they completely stop working. Why is that happening?

I followed all the instructions from the manuals, I do not understand whats wrong

Help?

thanks
Old November 19, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJoe View Post
the ATX_12V connector is missing from my power supply. Theres only the bigger "ATX" connector. Is that supposed to be alright?
Everything in your post seems fine (decent CPU choice, etc) but I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? The motherboard should have either a 4/8pin connector that needs to be plugged into it IN ADDITION to the 24pin ATX. Are you saying that you didn't find/connect the 4/8pin connector OR that your ATX connector only had 20pins, missing 4 pins off the side?

Please explain what you mean with this, it may or may not be a factor(I can't tell if its just a misunderstanding on your part of how things are labeled or you simply didn't hoot something up). That being said one thing you can try is reset the cmos, look in the manual where the RTC/CMOS jumper is and reset the cmos, should clear up any issue caused by an incorrect setting. Another thing I want you to try if reset CMOS/RTC doen't work is REMOVE all the ram from the system and turn it on. Does it beep? Clarify things for us and we'll be able to help you out more clearly. Let us know
Old November 20, 2008, 07:43 AM
Top Prospect

Alright, i'll be posting pics to be sure everything is right ;)

So, right up the heatsink, theres a 4 pin which is labeled as the "atk 12v". The connector from the powersupply to this 4 slot input is missing from the 750w corsair I have... I only have 2 pins or 6 pins "plugs" from the connector... BUT, the larger atx, which is on the right side, 24 pin is there... So, all the fans are powerered up, the LED lights too but else than that, it dosnt work...

Test #1 - I removed the ram before starting the cpu, It did not beep.

Test #2 - I plugged in a monitor and tried to get to the cmos but it dosnt seems to work. The screen is black, nothing happens.

I'll keep posting pics as I make progress..
I hope imageshack wont remove then tho.... :)

THANKS for the help! I appreciate
Old November 20, 2008, 07:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There is an 8-pin CPU power connector on the Corsair. It breaks into 2 4-pin connectors. Use that for the ATX 12V.
Old November 20, 2008, 07:52 AM
Allstar

Yes, you do need to have the 4 pin plug on the mobo filled, have another look at all your cables, I've seen psu's that had 2 - 4 pin connectors that were snapped together.
One thing, in the pics, it "looks" like your ram stick has a bend in it ( towards the bottom) It may just be the pic, but recheck it to make sure it's seated properly.)
Old November 20, 2008, 07:53 AM
Allstar

Hehe, I'm getting slow in my old age...

What he said.
Old November 20, 2008, 07:59 AM
Top Prospect

Yes! You were right there was one!!!
YEssss!! :)

It was a 8pin plug that broke into 2 4xpins :P perfect!

Now the computer is powering up smoothly, the DVD AND the HDD are working.

But there is still a problem.. my monitor keeps blacks and the computer shuts itself down after a few seconds...then resets over and over. what could be wrong??
Old November 20, 2008, 08:06 AM

Are there any beeps from the motherboard before it reboots?
Old November 20, 2008, 08:09 AM
Top Prospect

No sir, it dosnt get that far I believe.

I tried removing the ram, nothing happens. It just powerups then resets a few seconds later. No specific noise, no beeping, nothing...

Im lost

Last edited by CactusJoe; November 20, 2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old November 20, 2008, 08:19 AM

Ummm...you should not remove the ram for whatever reason.

Question: did you format your HDD?