Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I also have a $500 on what I can take out per use though. I can take out as many $500 limits as I want in the run of a day maybe that's your case also. Check to find out as that would be a serious pain in the a$$ lol. Also it's diff when buying something like at a store or online generally there is no limit. Check into it though for sure dude.

Why all this hate on Creative still? I've owned nothing but Creative products ever since I got into building systems & never once had a problem with any of them or the drivers? When 64bit first came out sure who didn't then that was fixed & not a hiccup since. Creative is still a good product. I personally won't buy anything but.

IMO the i965 is nice but just like the QX's to much money. It's going to need better cooling than what your willing to give it obviously cause you don't want to go water but if your insistent then make sure you get the best air cooler you can when they come out with the proper bracket mounts for them.
No, I have a $500 a day limit, $5000 a week...doesn't matter what the purchase medium -- in person or online -- is.

As I said, I have no problem with Creative, and if anyone reads the recent issue of MaximumPC they'd see Creative's card got a better review than Auzentech's card.

I only know how to do air cooling, and since I don't know anyone who has ever gone the watercooling route I cannot ask them to help me with it.
Old November 17, 2008, 02:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

The Thermalright Ultra 120 True (yadda yadda yadda) anyway there is a socket 1366 mounting kit available for this...so if you are going to go with air...for now this is one of the few coolers realeased so far that will cool your EE965 enough to OC. But if you are not going for Water Cooling I would save a bunch of Money and get the i7 940 and OC it...you will probably hit the same OC wall with it as you would with the EE965 on air anyway.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old November 17, 2008, 04:20 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
No, I have a $500 a day limit, $5000 a week...doesn't matter what the purchase medium -- in person or online -- is.

As I said, I have no problem with Creative, and if anyone reads the recent issue of MaximumPC they'd see Creative's card got a better review than Auzentech's card.

I only know how to do air cooling, and since I don't know anyone who has ever gone the watercooling route I cannot ask them to help me with it.
If you are really interested in water cooling, just ask and we'll help you out. It's pretty simple, actually. But yeah, if you want to stick with air, it is always the easiest route.

As for money, you have one other choice: go to your branch, and there you will be able to pull out as much money as you want. NCIX accepts these alternative payment methods: Prepaid Company Cheque, Cashier's Cheque, Money Order or Bank Draft. Believe me when I say that for such an expensive build, you are going to be paying a lot more elsewhere, and you probably won't get as good service.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old November 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
Top Prospect

Honestly water cooling is something that you don't need someone to physically guide you.

The toughest part is the 24hr test period, I just built a water cooled systems a month ago. It was my first water cooled system. No leaks and immediate temperature differences. It took me a couple hours to setup, but that not much more than a regular system actually.

It was really easy actually. The quietness can be great with the right fans and the right controllers.

On a C0 e8500 I pulled 4.5 ghz on 3dmark vantage which would have been impossible or atleast more dangerous on non water.

This community is a rather nice one for the most part, they will virtually guide your hand as much as possible if you decide to go water. Heck if you need help, I bet there is someone in the toronto area that will help you. People just love doing water that much. Just post and someone will likely help you do it for free. If you want someone else to do the work for you, there are guys like silver bullet.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:07 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestwell View Post
i7 940
The i7 920 & 940 are multiplier locked, where the 965 is not...so I don't know how well you'd even be able to OC the two lower end offerings of the i7.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:11 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
As for money, you have one other choice: go to your branch, and there you will be able to pull out as much money as you want.
That is what I was going to do anyway. Sending something like a money order to NCIX is not really an option for me, as everytime I send a piece of mail it never arrives at the destination nor do I get the mail back.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:12 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogexpress View Post
Honestly water cooling is something that you don't need someone to physically guide you.

The toughest part is the 24hr test period, I just built a water cooled systems a month ago. It was my first water cooled system. No leaks and immediate temperature differences. It took me a couple hours to setup, but that not much more than a regular system actually.

It was really easy actually. The quietness can be great with the right fans and the right controllers.

On a C0 e8500 I pulled 4.5 ghz on 3dmark vantage which would have been impossible or atleast more dangerous on non water.

This community is a rather nice one for the most part, they will virtually guide your hand as much as possible if you decide to go water. Heck if you need help, I bet there is someone in the toronto area that will help you. People just love doing water that much. Just post and someone will likely help you do it for free. If you want someone else to do the work for you, there are guys like silver bullet.

If someone wants to do it for free, I'd think about it...because the money is going towards my computer so paying someone is just not possible.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

No offense to ya mlauzon, but you seem to be shooting down everyone's opinions so why bother asking for them?

And just so you know, you can multi-quote by clicking this button on all the posts you want to include and then hit Quote or Post Reply.

Anyways, here's my thoughts if you want them:

Motherboard: EVGA X58, ASUS P6T or DFI's X58 board
RAM: Apparently it doesn't matter much, grab whatever you want and can afford. Make sure its a triple-channel kit though.
GPU: All ATI vendors suck pretty much so brand doesn't matter. They all use the reference design I believe.
Case: Definitely full tower, maybe the Coolermaster HAF? Since your going air that case has tons of fan options.
PSU: Corsair 1000W maybe?
HDD: Dual WD 640GB Black's in RAID0 + 1TB drive for backups
Old November 18, 2008, 07:47 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Multi-quote seems not to be working for me, don't know why...may just be IE8beta acting strange.

Does the P6T do CrossFireX or just regular CrossFire?
Old November 18, 2008, 08:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
The i7 920 & 940 are multiplier locked, where the 965 is not...so I don't know how well you'd even be able to OC the two lower end offerings of the i7.
That is actually the reasoning behind my recommendation. If you are not going to Water Cool the you will likely be able to reach the same or close OC from a 940 with an increased FSB as you would with a 965 with unlocked multiplier. As long as you get a solid board that supports increasing the FSB than you should be fine.

The i7's are setup as follows

Core I7 965 133FSB x24 MULTI
Core I7 940 133FSB x22 MULTI

If you increase the FSB to 166mhz which I have seen on a few sites as pretty easy you get 166x24 =3.65ghz

This is likely the most you would get out of either CPU's due to heat retriction without water. So either spend the cash and get water plus the EE965 or go cheap and easy with Air and a 940.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit