Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

My System Specs

@MpG,

Creative has fixed their driver problem with the card I want, however the Prelude does have its own problems...read the Oct -- or is it Nov -- issue of MaximumPC and you'll see what I mean...anyways that is water under the bridge at this point. Oh, and it's my money and I'll spend it how I want to.

@S_G & klaiboi,

As I said, even though NCIX has Interac Online, I cannot use it as I've only got a $500 a day spending limit...so I have no choice but to really buy locally.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

Water cooling is easy to setup and totally worth it. Basically all you need to do is the initial leak testing of 24 hours and you will be fine.

Imagine a videocard that runs at half the temperature or lower, and 0 noise essentially. You will get better overclocks and most importantly, fully utilizing that expensive processor.

Without water your better off not getting a 965, since most of your heat will be stressed on the northbridge and you won't be needing many volts. You test that extreme edition when you use a high multiplier which in turn produces alot of heat, a task best suited to water.

I guess you could go for another 4870 x2, but as someone has said, you don't need that much power for a 24", not yet anyways.

Noone goes creative anymore, there performance isn't that great. And for the love of God don't get anything with the fatality brand on it. Fatality puts his name on anything and it shows nothing about quality. E.g Their is ocz ddr2 ram which requires 2.1 volts to hit 800mhz. Most common ram nowadays can do that at 1.7-1.8Volts.

The name only serves to trick gullible people who think fatality is some god and stuff with his name on it is god like.

This bluray drive I mention burns dvds as well. It just reads bluray and hd dvds. You might as well get it since your budget is so massive. Its only a 120 dollars which is a drop in the pond.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

My System Specs

I am not getting the card because it has Fatal1ty's name on it, I've been a Creative user since the early '90s...yes they've screwed up many a times; and yes I've gone with onboard audio because of it, but there new card -- regardless of the branding -- is doing well again.

I never said I was going to do Crossfire, I just mentioned that I'd be able to get a second card if I wanted to.

And, I may change my mind about the sound card closer to the time I am going to buy.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

My System Specs

If I was to get a Blu-ray burner, I want the one from Plextor...unfortunately it costs USD$999; more than I want to pay for a burner.
Old November 16, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
@MpG,

Creative has fixed their driver problem with the card I want, however the Prelude does have its own problems...read the Oct -- or is it Nov -- issue of MaximumPC and you'll see what I mean...anyways that is water under the bridge at this point. Oh, and it's my money and I'll spend it how I want to.

@S_G & klaiboi,

As I said, even though NCIX has Interac Online, I cannot use it as I've only got a $500 a day spending limit...so I have no choice but to really buy locally.
Go to the bank and ask them to temporarily change that limit, simply explain your making a big purchase in the next coming days and need the limit upped to whatever you need. Trust me, they will do it with no issue.

That being said where you located, if you tel us the general ares your in maybe someone here can direct you towards a local shop that has good prices/support if you don't want to go with the route stated above.
Old November 17, 2008, 04:07 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
If I was to get a Blu-ray burner, I want the one from Plextor...unfortunately it costs USD$999; more than I want to pay for a burner.
IIRC, Plextor stopped manufacturing their own consumer drives a couple of years ago. Their BD-RW drive is really a rebranded LG GGW-H20L, considerably cheaper.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old November 17, 2008, 04:57 AM
Allstar

I also have a $500 on what I can take out per use though. I can take out as many $500 limits as I want in the run of a day maybe that's your case also. Check to find out as that would be a serious pain in the a$$ lol. Also it's diff when buying something like at a store or online generally there is no limit. Check into it though for sure dude.

Why all this hate on Creative still? I've owned nothing but Creative products ever since I got into building systems & never once had a problem with any of them or the drivers? When 64bit first came out sure who didn't then that was fixed & not a hiccup since. Creative is still a good product. I personally won't buy anything but.

IMO the i965 is nice but just like the QX's to much money. It's going to need better cooling than what your willing to give it obviously cause you don't want to go water but if your insistent then make sure you get the best air cooler you can when they come out with the proper bracket mounts for them.
Old November 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
IIRC, Plextor stopped manufacturing their own consumer drives a couple of years ago. Their BD-RW drive is really a rebranded LG GGW-H20L, considerably cheaper.
There's no way -- IMHO -- that the PX-B900 is a rebranded LG. Granted there are probably better drives out there than Plextor and/or LG offerings.
Old November 17, 2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Go to the bank and ask them to temporarily change that limit, simply explain your making a big purchase in the next coming days and need the limit upped to whatever you need. Trust me, they will do it with no issue.

That being said where you located, if you tel us the general ares your in maybe someone here can direct you towards a local shop that has good prices/support if you don't want to go with the route stated above.

I am in downtown Toronto.
Old November 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogexpress View Post
Water cooling is easy to setup and totally worth it. Basically all you need to do is the initial leak testing of 24 hours and you will be fine.

Imagine a videocard that runs at half the temperature or lower, and 0 noise essentially. You will get better overclocks and most importantly, fully utilizing that expensive processor.

Without water your better off not getting a 965, since most of your heat will be stressed on the northbridge and you won't be needing many volts. You test that extreme edition when you use a high multiplier which in turn produces alot of heat, a task best suited to water.

I guess you could go for another 4870 x2, but as someone has said, you don't need that much power for a 24", not yet anyways.

Noone goes creative anymore, there performance isn't that great. And for the love of God don't get anything with the fatality brand on it. Fatality puts his name on anything and it shows nothing about quality. E.g Their is ocz ddr2 ram which requires 2.1 volts to hit 800mhz. Most common ram nowadays can do that at 1.7-1.8Volts.

The name only serves to trick gullible people who think fatality is some god and stuff with his name on it is god like.

This bluray drive I mention burns dvds as well. It just reads bluray and hd dvds. You might as well get it since your budget is so massive. Its only a 120 dollars which is a drop in the pond.

If Bigfoot Computers was still around, I'd go to them to get watercooling -- or some other advanced cooling tech -- installed, but they aren't and I know no one with watercooling.