Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2008, 01:27 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Fair enough...if no gaming = less coin! Probably build a decent Rig for $1K.
Well he never said he would do no-gaming. In this case, if he does do some gaming or decides to wants to game at a later time, won't a Q9550 or a very good quad be bottlenecked by a cheaper graphics card?

I am not an expert, but I am just curious.
Old November 16, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermesĄ˘ View Post
Well he never said he would do no-gaming. In this case, if he does do some gaming or decides to wants to game at a later time, won't a Q9550 or a very good quad be bottlenecked by a cheaper graphics card?

I am not an expert, but I am just curious.
No, CPU's cannot/will not ever be bottlenecked by a graphics processor(aka GPU, aka Video Card). GPU's only serve to provide the information your monitor needs to display pretty shapes and colours. Assuming your not doing anything that needs a GPU(3d rendering, gaming, etc) all a GPU/Video card does is serve/show information crunched/processed by the CPU.

Hell, technically you don't even need a monitor for a computer to run fully, once an OS is installed you can manage a PC entirely through remote control. That being said the reverse CAN be true, where a GPU CAN be bottlenecked by a CPU due to the fact that it(the GPU) is ready to produce funny/cool shapes and colours but the cpu can not dish the information to the GPU fast enough about WHAT shapes, colours and etc they need to be.

I apologize to the OP, I'm extremely tired and have not had a chance to review this topic. After a good days sleep(6am here) I will come back with some proper suggestions. That being said I'm sure I'm not the only one here who doesn't knows what their talking about (jokes). I'm sure everyones suggestions are fine and dandy and I'm not needed here, but I like rambling on .
Old November 16, 2008, 11:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Just curious Sugar what MOBO's ? I only ask as everyone I know has been extremely happy with thier onboard digital HD 7.1 Audio on the 780i / 790i MOBO's...??!! Mine is incredible through my 5.1 Surround System,,,why clutter up your Case with more peripherals if its not necessary...curious is all..perhaps those Intel MOBO's don't provide the same?
rj - don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever put a sound card in your system?
I used to think my onboard sound was good too, until I put my X-Fi card in.

As for mobos I've tried the onboard: Asus P5N-E SLI, GA-P35-DS3L, Asrock X-48 TurboTwins, Biostar Tpower I45. The only mobos that I wouldn't recommend replacing the sound is the Asus Republic of Gamer series, they come with a PCI-E X-fi card. But they are $350-$450 mobos.

Edit: Sorry MopeyMartian, your original list is fine as is except for the hard drive, I wouldn't use less than a 500gb in any new build.
Old November 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
Allstar

Sound cards are nice but with every new board Asus comes out with the PCI sound card they supply is every bit as good. I cannot tell a noticeable difference at all really with my surround or my headphones. I have no choice but to opt for this in my upcoming i7 build as all the PCIe slots will be covered by vid cards lol. No biggy that or later on try out that PCI X-Fi rig maybe or something?
Old November 16, 2008, 01:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The only mobos that I wouldn't recommend replacing the sound is the Asus Republic of Gamer series, they come with a PCI-E X-fi card. But they are $350-$450 mobos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Sound cards are nice but with every new board Asus comes out with the PCI sound card they supply is every bit as good. I cannot tell a noticeable difference at all really with my surround or my headphones. I have no choice but to opt for this in my upcoming i7 build as all the PCIe slots will be covered by vid cards lol. No biggy that or later on try out that PCI X-Fi rig maybe or something?
Sniper, isn't that what I said?
Old November 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
rj - don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever put a sound card in your system?
I used to think my onboard sound was good too, until I put my X-Fi card in.
Sugar...wrong way not taken at all...no I have never gone with a Sound Card, always integrated....I was under the assumption that higher end MOBO's which boast decent onboard integrated sound were al least as godd as a seperate $150 Sound Card...
Interesting....was actually looking at one today in Staples...think it was the one on here in the reviews...can't remember the name now...the one that comes with the Evga 780i Board is an Azalia 7.1 Ch HD Audio (with SPDIF) input as well...thanks for the advice and insight!

Old November 16, 2008, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Sugar...wrong way not taken at all...no I have never gone with a Sound Card, always integrated....I was under the assumption that higher end MOBO's which boast decent onboard integrated sound were al least as godd as a seperate $150 Sound Card...
Interesting....was actually looking at one today in Staples...think it was the one on here in the reviews...can't remember the name now...the one that comes with the Evga 780i Board is an Azalia 7.1 Ch HD Audio (with SPDIF) input as well...thanks for the advice and insight!
I suspect that even the cheapest $50 stand-alone card would offer as good or better audio quality than any built-in ever could (except for the few boards that shipped with dedicated SB audio). It only stands to reason that motherboard manufacturers can't afford to pay for the same kind of quality components that go into dedicated sound cards as that could easily amount to 1/3 the cost of manufacturing costs.

That said... some folks don't really care and don't need to invest in a $100+ sound card.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 17, 2008, 01:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming!

I've also been looking at the new i7 hardware that was just released. I don't know if it would offer my bro much along the way of speed (though they say the lowest i7 matches the $1000 C2Q) but it's very forward thinking and matches his budget. Here's another build I came up with...

Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 LGA1366 3GB DDR3 1600 Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM Antec Three Hundred Corsair 620HX 620W HIS Radeon 4870 Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Samsung 22x w/Lightscribe Edimax EW-7128G Acer 24" 1080P HD LCD
I know, the hard drive is the same on this list. I've also heard the Samsung F1s are excellent HDs.

Creative kinda screwed people with their Vista drivers last year, but I don't really know what else would be a good option. Besides, with a 1366 board I probably wouldn't have room for a sound card anyway. He NEEDS a good Wifi card because his housemate keeps the router at the other end of the building.
Old November 17, 2008, 01:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My own opinion would be to avoid a brand new platform unless he's the kind of user who might upgrade every year or so.... to many unknowns until a platform hits the street and real users get a chance to put it through its paces.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP