Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
Rookie

Do you guys recommend letting the GPUs fold by themselves or also have the CPU cores folding at the same time?
Old November 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkin View Post
Do you guys recommend letting the GPUs fold by themselves or also have the CPU cores folding at the same time?
Depends what OS your going to use, under XP you need a core per GPU, under Vista both GPU might use 6-8 % of one core. If you go with Vista and a Quad you could run both GPU's and the SMP clients easily, that's what I do on my Q9550 rig...

And welcome to our little corner of the world...

Old November 14, 2008, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Depends what OS your going to use, under XP you need a core per GPU, under Vista both GPU might use 6-8 % of one core. If you go with Vista and a Quad you could run both GPU's and the SMP clients easily, that's what I do on my Q9550 rig...

And welcome to our little corner of the world...
Thanks for the info and thanks to everyone in this thread for the hardware advice. I'll post the build next week when everything arrives.

Question - Is the SMP client that much faster than running 2 install of the console client?
Old November 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for the info and thanks to everyone in this thread for the hardware advice. I'll post the build next week when everything arrives.

Question - Is the SMP client that much faster than running 2 install of the console client?
I don't use the standard console client but from what I've heard they can be fairly small point wise, as a comparison my quad at 3GHz does between 1860 and 2670 PPD depending on the WU. There are two types of SMP WU's, the 1920pt ones that take ~25 hrs to complete and the 1760pt ones that only take ~ 15hrs to do. If you get the 1760's you get the higher PPD ...

Old November 14, 2008, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
I don't use the standard console client but from what I've heard they can be fairly small point wise, as a comparison my quad at 3GHz does between 1860 and 2670 PPD depending on the WU. There are two types of SMP WU's, the 1920pt ones that take ~25 hrs to complete and the 1760pt ones that only take ~ 15hrs to do. If you get the 1760's you get the higher PPD ...
Alright...I'll be looking for some assistance with the SMP install...it had me pulling my hair out the last time I tried it.

You are running the system tray SMP client?
Old November 14, 2008, 05:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Alright...I'll be looking for some assistance with the SMP install...it had me pulling my hair out the last time I tried it.

You are running the system tray SMP client?
I use this console client version new 6.23 public beta client. The main download page still lists the 6.22 beta2 version but the 6.23 beta features much improved EUE handling and seems much more stable...

One thing to remember is to install it in its own directory C:\Fah not in the default C:\Program Files [x86] location. A good source for help are the New official SMP installation/configuration guides recently rewritten by Xilikon...

Old November 16, 2008, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info...I going to read up and that guide.
Old November 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for the info...I going to read up and that guide.
Hope it works for you this time...

Old November 21, 2008, 07:50 AM
Rookie

OK..it's up and running, which in itself is a small miracle. It's my first build and everything works.

Anyway, it's time to get folding...I'm starting a new thread in the F@H forum...please chime in there.

Thanks,

John