Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 02:35 PM
Rookie

Default New build 1000 dollar budget.

First time poster here on hardware canucks.
Just looking for some advice here on this build.
Budget is 1000 dollars could possibly go for 1100-1200 if it made a huge difference.
the reason im coming here is for many peoples opinions, i asked a friend of mine and even though i do a lot of research i keep getting the same answer out of him and that everything else is garbage. So im looking for other opinions because i know for a fact that what he is saying is not true so here I am.

This rig will not be used for gaming, but alot of multitasking will be done on it, photoshop, Punch! software, word programs, internet and more all at once sometimes.
Now Ive come up with a list of parts from newegg.ca just for reference, and am willing to order online. places ill order from are newegg.ca ncix.com and i have a memory express in town so if i there are better prices on some things there ill go there.
prices are from newegg.ca

Heres my parts list so far:

Motherboard: Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Processor: Newegg.ca - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
RAM: Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
GPU: Newegg.ca - MSI N9600GT-T2D512-OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
HDD: Newegg.ca - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
DVD/CD: Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Subtotal: $731.63 leaving 300 for everything else unless there are better parts out there.

as for the heatsink/fan i need suggestions. I will be overclocking this chip to 3.0Ghz maximum seeing as this rig will be on for days at a time most likely and need a cooler that will keep it cool, but doesn't break the bank. i was thinking maybe the cnps9700?

As for power supply, I haven't fully decided, this is the major problem with my friend, he says i need 800W minimum, now i know i don't need that much, but im all confused now and need suggestions.

And lastly, as for the case, That is still being decided. anyone have opinions on the antec p180? / Antec 300? / cooler master 690? or should i go to a full tower.

Thanks in advance for your help, this is a christmas present to someone so I have alot of time to come up with a parts list. :D

Oh! almost forgot, I don't need a to add vista to the cost, because I got a disc already.
Old November 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You don't need 800w.

You could probably do fine with a good 500w unit. I had a Q6600 at 3.6GHz with an 8800GTX on a 650w PSU

Do you need an OS and a monitor? Those two are going to eat a big chunk of the $300
Old November 13, 2008, 02:46 PM
Rookie

No, I already have 2 monitors, keyboard and mouse, this is just replacing an old tower he had that's on its last legs.
and at the end of my post i said i don't need a vista disc :)
Old November 13, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oops, sorry, I missed that part.

Anyway, that's a pretty sweet list of parts right there.
Old November 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
Rookie

yeah? i was worried about the motherboard, i dont have much experience with many boards seeing as the only one i have experience with is the evga lt sli :)
but im just wondering if theres better, and if it'd be smart to go for a 1GB graphics card because of some of the software he uses
Punch is like 3d landscaping and house building.

And if people have personal experience with parts that they recommend thats good too :D
Old November 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Im gonna be going for tonight, ill make any replies necessary tommorow. Thanks for the quick reply though Zlojack I figured i didn't need 800w, he builds computers but i think he overpsec's things to be safe. but thats not in my budget :p
Old November 13, 2008, 03:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Don't worry about the Gigabyte board, it's a good one. But I would go for a 9800GT GPU though.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Don't worry about the Gigabyte board, it's a good one. But I would go for a 9800GT GPU though.
If hes not gaming thou....

As for the power supply ensure you get a quality one, I would recommend any from Corsair, Silverstone, or PCP&C. I've used the Zalaman cnps9700 in the past and would defenitly have no issue recommending it for a rig like yours, plenty OCing room on that cooler, and it looks great too . Gigabyte makes good boards, you should be able to reach beyond your goals with that board,you'll be plenty happy with it (I personally prefer ASUS and DFI).

As for a case, I would recommend a Lian Li A05, a great looking Lian Li case for cheap, its also smaller than usual giving it that big punch in a small package feel. Really thou, with cases you can't go wrong assuming you arn't picking up the $30 pos.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:30 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
If hes not gaming thou....
Didn't read the whole thread. Sorry.
Old November 14, 2008, 09:08 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the posts guys, I think for a case i might end up getting the Cooler Master 690 or the Antec 300.
As for HS/F I was thinking the OCZ Vendetta 2 with MX-2. Not really a huge fan of that Lian Li A05 :p