Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

750W is plenty for his application...!!

Old November 13, 2008, 11:10 PM
Top Prospect

By the time I upgrade my GPU there will probably many GPU's out from both nVidia and ATI. I am unsure if I will go crossfire, usually 1 card is enough for me and I only want enough power to supply single GPU's with the possibility to go Crossfire on older models. The thing is, I really hope a few years from now that ATI and NVIDIA will still make GPU's compatible with my setp. I trying to keep my costs low, at the same time I do not want to hav e ahigh electricity bill. I understand 750W is plenty, but the only reason I chose it was so that I could possibly go 2 4870's in crossfire in the future as well as power up some future single GPU's as the years go by. What I am hoping is that 750W will be enough for upcoming GPU's.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes、 View Post
By the time I upgrade my GPU there will probably many GPU's out from both nVidia and ATI. I am unsure if I will go crossfire, usually 1 card is enough for me and I only want enough power to supply single GPU's with the possibility to go Crossfire on older models. The thing is, I really hope a few years from now that ATI and NVIDIA will still make GPU's compatible with my setp. I trying to keep my costs low, at the same time I do not want to hav e ahigh electricity bill. I understand 750W is plenty, but the only reason I chose it was so that I could possibly go 2 4870's in crossfire in the future as well as power up some future single GPU's as the years go by. What I am hoping is that 750W will be enough for upcoming GPU's.
750Watts is more than enough for 2x4870+Big OC+Quad Core+Big OC. PCI-e 2.0 specification LIMITS what GPU's are allowed to use Wattage wise, and both the 4870x2 and 280GTX are AT the limit.

Again unless you plan to go Quad Crossfire (4x4870, or 2x4870x2's) which, doing the math (4870x2 used around $500) (4870 1GB $275 Used) would cost $1000 on GPU's ALONE, 750Watts is enough, also if you do drop that much money on QuadFire, trust me a good PSU to add into those costs is a drop in the bucket.

I would not be worried. 750Watts is enough. THAT BEING SAID, go for the Silverstone Olympia OP1000, for $220 for a 1000Watt PSU which is a TRUE 1000Watt psu (aka not one that pretends to be)you cannot go wrong. Do not be fooled by the pictures, the current revision is NCIX stocks and sells is the OP1000-E which is a 120MM version built by Impervo (one of the best PSU manufacturers in my opinion).
Old November 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
What I am hoping is that 750W will be enough for upcoming GPU's.
If I can run 2 x GTX 280's in SLI....you're fine !!

Old November 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Top Prospect

Alright just a few more questions:

1) To minimize my costs, is it recommended that I buy a lower power PSU or is 750W perfect for the future. I don't really want to pay a premium on a 1000W PSU unless it will last me for years on end.

2) Do you guys recommend I get an OCZ Vendetta 2 or stick with this HDT CPU cooler?

3) Since NCIX is building the computer for me, will they at least make the build tidy? When I get home and check to see that all the parts I ordered are inside the computer, I want to manage the wiring and cables in my computer, is it going to be a huge hassle for me?
Old November 14, 2008, 02:39 PM
Banned
F@H

1) 750 has some room to spare, for sure.

2) you're not overclocking to the limit, get whatever you like best..it really doesn't matter.

3)Couldn't tell you. It IS fairly easy to unplug all the wires and do it yourself if they do it poorly. I'd definately like to see pics of it when you get it, to see how they do...you could post a review in the members reviews section here on the forum...
Old November 14, 2008, 03:32 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
1) 750 has some room to spare, for sure.

2) you're not overclocking to the limit, get whatever you like best..it really doesn't matter.

3)Couldn't tell you. It IS fairly easy to unplug all the wires and do it yourself if they do it poorly. I'd definately like to see pics of it when you get it, to see how they do...you could post a review in the members reviews section here on the forum...
Yes I would probably definitely post a review.

Thanks.

Alright, I guess I'll go send in my build and hope for the best, any final recommendations?
Old November 14, 2008, 03:40 PM
Banned
F@H

If you have any issues, let us know, and we'll do our best to help! That said, expect a few days for them to assemble adn do a burn-in test, I am not sure how long they do thier tests for, but I am sure that they do it. Sometimes something can happen during shipping though, so if things go wrong, don't worry about it, they'll fix it(that's what you are paying the $50 for...)!
Old November 14, 2008, 08:51 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all your help guys. I added a final 120mm fan and told and left a builders note to add it to the side near the GPU. My total was under $1600, but the environmental fees brought it to 1600 range. :P Anyways, taxes came and it went to 1800.

Thanks for your help and I hope everything works out for me. :D I will hope to review the quality of the PC Test and Assembly from NCIX when I receive the computer hopefully.