Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 05:21 PM
Banned
F@H

the 640's offer the best bang for your buck. I say 2, and raided, giving you just 640GB, but data redundancy, and fast reads as well(but slightly longer writes).

I used to say the same thing abt HDD space..160gb was MORE than enough, and sure, I could function with 160gb, but I currently have 3x500GB, and 4x250GB....I ended up putting my 100's of CD's on my pc(120GB alone ,and not done yet), and I end up ripping alot of movies from DVD to dump on my PSP.

I'm primarily a gamer, but cannot game during the day as I'm busy with my 4 kids, and now that games take avg 8-12GB each(and I have well over 200 games) having so much space has become a requirement.

Mind you, for example, I got my PS3 in Sept, and already have bought 16 games, plus 6 pc games, so maybe my perspective is a bit skewed...I REALLY am a GAMER.

Perpendicular drives have made raptors basically obsolete...the BLack 640GBs are "dual proc" meaning...they are stinkin' fast, like almost a RAID in a single HDD !
Old November 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
Top Prospect

Right, but once something is loaded from the HDD, the memory takes care of the rest. Therefore, would it be a good idea to invest in a single 640 GB Black and invest in good DDR2 Memory? I don't have thousands of music files or ebooks to store on my computer. My computer is mainly for internet browsing and playing games, etc. Would a single 640 GB be enough to store everything I need such as games and movies? I would most likely start storing movies and seasons of TV Episodes on my HDD.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes、 View Post
Right, but once something is loaded from the HDD, the memory takes care of the rest. Therefore, would it be a good idea to invest in a single 640 GB Black and invest in good DDR2 Memory? I don't have thousands of music files or ebooks to store on my computer. My computer is mainly for internet browsing and playing games, etc. Would a single 640 GB be enough to store everything I need such as games and movies? I would most likely start storing movies and seasons of TV Episodes on my HDD.
A single 640GB would be more than enough for you needs right now? Dare I say, yes. As for the ram, 4GB is good and plenty, but if ya want, go for the 8GB, I know I did. Very little you do will use 8GB mind you. The ram kit you have right picked out right now is VERY GOOD, best plan of action would be pick up 2 of the kits up. Make sure you get a 64bit OS thou if you go down the 8GB path.
Old November 13, 2008, 06:34 PM
Banned
F@H

Yeah, gmaes liek Crysis, Crysis warhead, and GRID, as well as up and coming games really seem to benefit from greater than 2GB(4gb required for Crysis), so chilly would be spot on.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default Okay, done!

Alright, I listened to your recommendations! This is what I was able to come up with:

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S754 S939 S940 W 120MM PWM Fan - $34.10

Xigmatek ACK-I7751 Crossbow Mounting Kit for 3 Piece Heat Pipe for HDT-S963 HDT-S1283 RS-S1283 - $9.72

Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL16X/12X Lightscribe DVD Writer SATA OEM - $28.99

Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW 22IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1680X1050 8000:1 DVI VGA - $199.00

Razer DeathAdder Gaming Mouse 5 Button 1800DPI Infrared Optical USB - $57.50

Steelpad Qck Mini Mouse Pad 9.8X8.2IN - $9.72

Creative Fatality Gaming Headset 8FT Noise Canceling Microphone W/ Volume Control - $41.00

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio - $109.00

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive OEM 5YR Mfg Warranty - $81.43

Mushkin XP PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - $117.99

Diamond Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI-I Video Card - $349.84

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - $116.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box - $227.99

ASUS P5Q-E ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA 1394 Motherboard - $175.11

And of course, I decided I would just let them build it, see that everything works and functions, and then give me the 1 year warranty.
PC Assembly and Testing (PRE-CONFIG OS If Purchased) - $50.00

--

Alright, with that being finally done. I have a few final questions. Though before I ask them, I just want to point out why I chose some components.

1) I chose a 750W Power Supply from Corsair because in the future, better graphic cards will be released. That being said, they may have higher power requirements then the GPU's we have today and I won't have to upgrade my PSU. Good idea or bad idea? Why so?

2) I chose a P5Q-E over the P5Q-PRO because of its better features as well as having better sound quality. I dumped my sound card as I would only be using headphones, in this case, the on board sound that comes with this motherboard should be absolutely fine.

Okay, here are my questions:

1) The Antec 900 comes with great cooling, but it also comes with optional areas to add more fans (2 I beleive, correct me if I am wrong). Should I buy however many extra fans for more cooling? If so, I want to mention that adding a fan near the HDD's as I saw someone say in the past is a bad idea and will block larger GPU's, is this true?

2) Do you guys reccomend I add, remove, or replace any of the hardware that I have chosen?

Thanks guys.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:55 PM
Banned
F@H

PSU..better to get higher rated as it will be in a better "efficiency" point when it's bigger than needed, meaning you draw less power from the wall.

If you are not overclocking, or only moderately, additional fans may lower temps a bit, but will also add noise, so it's a give-or-take situation. Persoanlly, I'd add the fans, but only if they are exhaust fans( I don't care about dust). that's another thing, is that more fans may introduce more dust...

I'm not a big fan of asus motherboards, eve nthough they have spent more time in my machien than any other OEM, but that's just a personal thing. Otherwise it looks great!
Old November 13, 2008, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
PSU..better to get higher rated as it will be in a better "efficiency" point when it's bigger than needed, meaning you draw less power from the wall.

If you are not overclocking, or only moderately, additional fans may lower temps a bit, but will also add noise, so it's a give-or-take situation. Persoanlly, I'd add the fans, but only if they are exhaust fans( I don't care about dust). that's another thing, is that more fans may introduce more dust...

I'm not a big fan of asus motherboards, eve nthough they have spent more time in my machien than any other OEM, but that's just a personal thing. Otherwise it looks great!
Alright I will look into a better PSU, it is just they can get a bit expensive. I will also look into some fans. Do you recommend any? Also, do you know how many fans the Antec 900 comes in total, how many it comes built in and how many optional? What size are the optional ones?

Thanks.
Old November 13, 2008, 09:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The 750w PSU is plenty for your planned build. Mine powers a similar build to yours plus a WC pump, and the fan never spins up from load. I'd be surprised if I pull more than 450w from the wall. If you are planning a crossfire setup, I might be tempted to bump up to an 850w or more, but for a single GPU it's overkill IMHO. Look for rjbarker's 750W PC Power threads, he was running 2x GTX280's off a 750w with no problem.

Edit: the 900 comes with 3 x 120mm fans and a 200mm fan up top. There's space on the window for a 120mm fan, and you can add another 120mm fan to the HDD cage if you have room. I'd recommend throwing the 120mm fan on the window as it sits right over your GPU, helps keep the temps down on the ATI.
Old November 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'll concur...my PC P & C 750W was ruunning 2 x GTX 280's / OC'd E8400 @ 4.05 Ghz...a bunch of Fans / 2 x Optical Drives....all without a hitch...although I have since crossed over to 1 kW.

Old November 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes、 View Post
Alright I will look into a better PSU, it is just they can get a bit expensive. I will also look into some fans. Do you recommend any? Also, do you know how many fans the Antec 900 comes in total, how many it comes built in and how many optional? What size are the optional ones?

Thanks.
Hey now, the 750 Watt PSU you have chosen is VERY good, your WHOLE system I reckon won't even use more than 500-600 Watts at load. This being said if you STILL wanna go higher, your not gonna like the prices of what I consider real quality (ie not fake ratings) here are a few good models (most expensive to cheapest) to look at;

Corsair HX1000W
Antec Truepower Quattro 1000W
Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
Silverstone Decathlon DA850
Silverstone Olympia OP850 850W
Silverstone Strider ST85F 850W

Trust me the 750Watt is MORE than enough but if you are dead set on going higher, I would recommend the OP1000, in my opinion the OP1000 is better than the Corsair and Antec, and it actually comes at a price point below some of the 850's on that list.

Again 750Watts should be(rather IS) more than enough unless you decided to go crazy with dual 4870x2's