Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 05:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
First of all, welcome to HWC! The only thing that I would change if it was my build is drop the sound card for now and invest more in the video card (4870). You can always add a sound card at a later date if you decide you really want it (there are some threads here that suggest that there are better ones for a lot less).

I don't know if you plan on overclocking, if you do, check to see what the build warranty will cover. I tend to think that you will find it more rewarding to build it yourself and rely on manufacturer's warranties for your components. In the end, it really depends on what exactly the build warranty will cover. If it is only labor and trouble shooting, then I would doubt that it is worth it. There's a lot of troubleshooting knowledge right here at ol' HWC.

Alright, I will probably upgrade too a 4870. I believe the warranty covers hardware if anything were to fail. Hopefully that is worth it, if not I will remove it. Also, what sound cards would be better or just as good at a cheaper price? I would definitely like to see the thread. I am not an audiofile and I doubt I would be able to hear any difference between sound cards. I just want something better then onboard sound.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Mostly everything in your list is good, I'd switch out the P5Q-Pro for a P5Q-E as the -E is on sale atm on NCIX for only 5 $ more than the Pro, also I would drop the sound card and up the video card to a 4870 1GB OR a 260 GTX. If you don't mind going used, nakano2k1 is selling 2 4850's fpr $300 shipped is selling 2 4850's for $300 shipped which is a GREAT deal, 2 of those in crossfire will give you close to 4870x2 performance. Not only that and you'd get to play around with some crossfire fun!
I will check out the P5Q-E, thanks. Also, I cannot buy from people on forums. My parents just won't allow me. :(

Thanks, though.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
Banned
F@H

Onboard sound isn't as bad as it used to be...especially in Vista...to the point that it's not worth it to buy a sound card unless you have a specific plan that requires one. Most avg PC speakers won't show enough of a difference to justify the cost, but some mid-to-high-end amps will...
Old November 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
Top Prospect

I won't be using speakers, only the Creative Fata1ity Headphones that I am ordering? Will the onboard sound of a P5Q Pro or P5Q-E be enough?
Old November 13, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Onboard sound isn't as bad as it used to be...especially in Vista...to the point that it's not worth it to buy a sound card unless you have a specific plan that requires one. Most avg PC speakers won't show enough of a difference to justify the cost, but some mid-to-high-end amps will...
What he said. unless you have really tuned ears, or ultra high end speakers chances are your not gonna notice any difference whatsoever from using on board or a dedicated sound card. In fact the only reason I own/use a dedicated sound card in the first place is because I got it (free)as a birthday gift from all my friends. Besides, if you like you can always upgrade later for relatively cheap. (yes with the headphones your buying, your fine with the onboard)

Another question I have your you is your hardrive choice, only reason I question is it you can get a 640GB WD Black edition for around $85 on NCIX's sale, and its performance, while not as fast as the velicoraptor is fairly close. Not only is it many times cheaper, you get 4 times the space. Is there any particular reason you want it?

Only reason I ask is I've gone thru many raptors (I was one of the first people I know to own the original 36GB raptor) and frankly the only difference you notice (other than in benchmarks) is the windows boot time. Hell if you take two of the 640GB WD Blacks and Raid 0 them I'll get faster than velicoraptor performance even! Just something to think about.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:49 PM
Top Prospect

Alright guys here are some new questions:

1) If I am buying a Creative Fatality headset, will the onboard sound of a P5Q-Pro or a P5Q-E be great? I won't be using any speakers.
2) Will the NCIX PC Assembly offer, do you think they mod Antec 900 cases so that they can do cable managment?
3) I am unsure if I plan to overclock as I really can't afford burning anything. Should I still get the CPU cooler and is overclocking hard? I do not plan to overclock my Q6600 to 3.6 Ghz because that seems to hard for a first time overclocker and someone who can't risk burning anything. Would 3.0 Ghz be easy for anyone to do?
Old November 13, 2008, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
What he said. unless you have really tuned ears, or ultra high end speakers chances are your not gonna notice any difference whatsoever from using on board or a dedicated sound card. In fact the only reason I own/use a dedicated sound card in the first place is because I got it (free)as a birthday gift from all my friends. Besides, if you like you can always upgrade later for relatively cheap. (yes with the headphones your buying, your fine with the onboard)

Another question I have your you is your hardrive choice, only reason I question is it you can get a 640GB WD Black edition for around $85 on NCIX's sale, and its performance, while not as fast as the velicoraptor is fairly close. Not only is it many times cheaper, you get 4 times the space. Is there any particular reason you want it?

Only reason I ask is I've gone thru many raptors (I was one of the first people I know to own the original 36GB raptor) and frankly the only difference you notice (other than in benchmarks) is the windows boot time. Hell if you take two of the 640GB WD Blacks and Raid 0 them I'll get faster than velicoraptor performance even! Just something to think about.
Thank you for your information on the sound card. I have decided I will not buy a sound card at this time and just invest in one at a later time if I ever decide to get a high end speakers. The price of the Raptor is actually killing me. For the past 6 years I have worked on around 40 - 80 GB's of space. My original computer came with 80 GB's of storage, but that HDD gave out so now I use a 40GB hard drive. 640 GB is a lot of room and really it would go to waste. When it comes to a hard drive, I want speed > storage because truly I will never use all 640 GB's of that hard drive. Do you have any suggestions on a better hard drive choice?
Old November 13, 2008, 05:58 PM
Banned
F@H

you could do 3.0ghz on the stock cooler, and probably 3.6 too.

they will not mod the case, merely zip-tie cables, if that.

The P5Q uses REaltek ACL1200 codec, which features :

Quote:
DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC is the perfect audio solution for people that listen to music or watch movies on their computers, with just 2 speakers. Whether your audio source is stereo or surround sound, you can enjoy a virtual surround effect. DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC is comprised of two DTS technologies.

DTS Neo: PC takes 2-channel (stereo) audio and transforms it into a full-bandwidth 5.1-channel matrix
DTS Surround Sensation allows you to enjoy 5.1-channel audio from just 2 speakers, using a surround effect

Audio that is 2-channel (stereo) is processed through DTS Neo: PC to create the 5.1 channels, then processed by Surround Sensation to provide the surround effect from your two speakers. Audio that is already encoded in 5.1-channels bypass DTS Neo: PC processing.
DTS | Technology | Surround Sensation - UltraPC

I nregards to the hard drive, unless you are getting a velociraptor, don't bother, and even then, it's not something that you'll really notice the speed difference if all you are doing is gaming. If you were doing heavy HDD stuff ,like encoding or something, the loss of space would be justified, but even going with 2x640mb, adn RAID them, will give you much better performance, IMHO.
Old November 13, 2008, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
you could do 3.0ghz on the stock cooler, and probably 3.6 too.

they will not mod the case, merely zip-tie cables, if that.

The P5Q uses REaltek ACL1200 codec, which features :

DTS | Technology | Surround Sensation - UltraPC

I nregards to the hard drive, unless you are getting a velociraptor, don't bother, and even then, it's not something that you'll really notice the speed difference if all you are doing is gaming. If you were doing heavy HDD stuff ,like encoding or something, the loss of space would be justified, but even going with 2x640mb, adn RAID them, will give you much better performance, IMHO.
I can't use 640 Gb's though. Do you know of a speedy solution with a decent amount of HDD Space at a great price?
Old November 13, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes、 View Post
I can't use 640 Gb's though. Do you know of a speedy solution with a decent amount of HDD Space at a great price?
Thats the thing thou, the 640 Blacks are some of the fastest drives you can get .

That being said, if you really are scared of having lots of HD space, these Samsung F1 320GB drives should be very close to the speed of the WD Blacks if not the same.