Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2008, 11:57 AM
MVP

Default What Quad for a 680i SLI?

I run an E6750 in an eVGA 680i SLI A1 (specs in sig). I would like to up it to a quad. Currently, the Q6600 has the best price, and should work best in my 680i. However, I have a couple of P35 boards, one of which I may move into eventually or possibly pick up a P5Q Deluxe or Premium later. I would then be moving the quad to the newer board.

I have heard that the 680i has problems with the newer 45nm quads, so had not really considered the 9xxx series till recently.

But the problems are only with overclocking, right?

Since I run my main rig at stock speed these days, I wouldn't have any problem running say a Q9450 or Q9550 in it, would I?

I could migrate the CPU out later, overclocking it then of course. If I get a Q6600, I would probably keep a mild overclock on it to at least meet or surpass what I currently have. I've no problem with that.

The problem would be migrating a non 45nm chip into one of my other boards (or a new one) -- it won't perform as well as a 9xxx.

So if I got a Q6600, I think it would be pretty much welded into the 680i forever, and I'd have to get another quad for the migration. I don't have the money for that, which would delay things.

So what is the best quad for me to get? A Q6600 that I may leave in the 680i, or migrate to a newer board till I get another 9xxx quad? Or get a 9xxx quad now, run it stock in the 680i and migrate it out later with much better overclocking potential?

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old November 11, 2008, 06:33 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It's been a while since I used a 680i, but wasn't there a compatibility issue between Quads and the BIOS? I remember one of my customers going for one, and using an E6300. He then wanted to go for a Q6600, and I think that the BIOS was a problem: even flashed, oc'ing was not a possibility.

Memory's not good these days, and this happened 2 years ago...
Old November 11, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Pretty much covers everything about 680i here, included BIOS Flashes, troubleshooting etc etc..
EVGA nForce 6 Series
Good luck!

Old November 11, 2008, 09:59 PM

45nm quads will not function at all in the 680i.

If you want to run a quad you will need a 780i.

Incidentally I have a 780i for sale. PM for details ;)
Old November 12, 2008, 01:29 AM
Top Prospect

Well I have a q6600 running in my 680i A1 mobo overclocked to 3.4 Gigs, never had an issue with the latest Bios, I have my Ram overclocked also. All this has left me with a very stable system, according to Everst Ultimate my CPU core temps go 39,38,38,38 respectavly, motherboard is usually around 41, if you ever want help on overclocking the 680i with a quad this site is a great reference Q6600 overclocking on the 680i, How to. (56k killer!!!!!!) - HEXUS.community discussion forums.

Happy overclocking
RAM: 4 Gigs OCZ Reaper @ 1066 Mhz
Mobo: 680i A1
Vid: 2 x EVGA 8800 Ultra SuperClocked
HDD: 300Gig VRaptor
Old November 12, 2008, 02:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Basicly any of the Q6xxx series will work, while any of the newer Q9xxx will not, I don't see any info on weither the q8xxx series would work or not, but I'd assume not.

See this link for more info from nVidia directly.
Old November 12, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Use an Intel chipset with a Quad if you want it to run properly. Nvidia chipsets are crap to begin with and it goes downhill fast when you add a Quad of any kind.
Old November 14, 2008, 11:48 AM
MVP

Wow, thanks guys, great info here. Just what I needed.

Decision made, picked up a Q6700 NIB and should be here in a week or two.

I didn't know it wouldn't run 45nm quads at all! I'm pretty sure I've seen some nice overclocks with 45nm dual core, is my memory wrong or does the 680i run E8xxx cpus? /edit: chart says 680i is OK with E8xxx.

I doubt it will run the new Q8xxx, still haven't read any of the links, will confirm there somewhere I suppose. Linus, would you know?

I like my 680i a lot, it has been very faithfull so far. I'm lucky I guess, and got a good one does well over 500FSB, has been completely stable and is way more mobo than any of the intel boards I have (except maybe my P5K Premium). I'd like to get a nice P45 or X48 board before jumping to i7, but will have to see how long the 680i and Q6700 last me. If I do, I'll then get a Q9xxx of some sort.

b1lk1, while I am not currently happy with nvidia's recent behavior, this chipset is definately not crap. No offence, none taken, I realise and understand the figure of speach. A lot of people have had dead or dying 680i's, the mem controller goes to poo.

The first time I used one was for a client build, same board (A1), and it was just on the market. At the time, it was fantastic, and to me, still is (even though it's performance has long been surpassed by other chipsets and boards). The BIOS is extremely easy to set up for any clock, and was the highest performing board I had used at the time. I got one for myself within a month. The thing I liked most about it was that being nV's top of the line, it had all the features and functions available. Every fan header is speed adjustable, lots and lots of fan headers, nVidia ntune works flawlessly with all features available. It reliably goes into and out of standby while overclocked, as well as with power saving features on. For my main PC, I've always gone with the higher end feature rich boards, and never regreted it (except, perhaps, the Abit KV8-MAX3 A64-3200 ClawHammer system that I can't seem to part with lol -- add another one to the museum collection).

The 680i's biggest failing from my point of view is it's incompatibility with the newer cpus. I had a P965 I let go of a few months ago, and I bet it would run 45nm no problem -- it was a great board, I put a huge variety of cpus through it, but never used it as my main. The 680i has a few quirks I don't like, mostly layout issues and the lack of all solid caps for a board with a lifetime warranty.

Linus, All my vid cards are nvidia, I do need to be able to run SLI for now. I doubt I will by into a newer nvidia chipset like the 780i etc, but tyvm for the offer! I'll keep it in mind though, might run into a client with the need.

Fritz, I was going to shoot for 10x333 for 3.33GHz first, but may go for the higher FSB first 400x8 (like the QX9770). 400 may be pushing things, don't know till I read these links and try it. I'd be happy with a 3.2GHz 24/7 setting, whatever the FSB is at. Once it proves good and stable, I'll probably run it stock speed (if I can stand it lol), or move it into one of my P35's for a few weeks. Being my main work (as well as play) system, I like to be conservative about overclocking, and careful about backups and archives in case of OS corruption.

Normally, this new cpu would be in my DFI P35 on the bench for a month of overclocking, testing and benching. I'd know exactly what it is capable of before moving it into the 680i. But since I just got Vista going, I want it in the 680i right away.

I'll move my E6750 into the DFI, and get my OC fix that way. I wonder how much faster I'll be able to run it? I could only get 3.8GHz stable in the 680i, which isn't bad on air. The DFI has a better cooler, I may be able to reach 4GHz although possibly just a suicide run.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Last edited by Lithotech; November 14, 2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added blethering!