Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2008, 01:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJoe View Post
So 500$ now or 1000$ later?
I am going to take the opposite approach as jonny here. Considering the resolution you are playing at right now, your budget doesn't leave much open for a new monitor in the first place. So, you may upgrade to a 19" LCD which will be well within the performance of an 8800GS even with many of the newer games. Granted, $1000 is a good amount of money for a new system but I would rather spend $500 on the system and then spend $300 on a new monitor to take advantage of the new system.

My main issue with this is that the "$1000 later" mentality really doesn't help you now and you will be stuck with the same system for the forseeable future.
Old November 3, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You're probably right. Especially if a few months turns into 6 months. Flip a coin !
Old November 3, 2008, 02:35 PM
Top Prospect

Good points...

I have a question tho..
I found a much cheaper case

NCIX.com - Buy Compucase 6C28B ATX Case Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS - 6C28B In Canada.

How do you know that the parts will fit in it?
Old November 3, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Might be a good idea to start with stuff that you could "test' with your current pc if possible like monitor. It would suck if you got lets say this Biostar Tpower I45 ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2OC 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN CrossFireX Motherboard - DirectCanada first and you didn't build your pc till 3 months later and the board was faulty. Huge hassle.

I have these 4 boards currently: Biostar Tpower I45, DFI LP Dk P45-T2RS+, Gigabyte X48-DQ6 & ASUS Maximus II Formula. In the next little bit I will be building 4 rigs (me,wife,son,brother). I bought all of these when they were on sale and saved lots but I won't know if they work "ok" till I start.

I was ok with that "risk". Are you? If not hold on to the money you prsently have (DON'T SPEND IT !!!) and when you get close to the amount you need start buying. First though you need to choose your hardware.
Old November 3, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That case looks ok but Antec 300 or Coolermaster 590 would be much better choices. Or even an Antec Sonata III that comes with a good power supply would be a good choice. Direct Canada usually has the better prices.
Old November 3, 2008, 03:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJoe View Post
Good points...

I have a question tho..
I found a much cheaper case

NCIX.com - Buy Compucase 6C28B ATX Case Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS - 6C28B In Canada.

How do you know that the parts will fit in it?
You will regret buying cheap cases. Nothing fits properly from my experiences and they are just flimsy overall. Plus you tend to get your hands all cut up too

Go with what SKYMTL said. And down the road you can upgrade to a Phenom, add more RAM, get a new video card etc.
Old November 3, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I totally agree with Sky thats is probably the best way to go a decent budget rig and the perfect starter rig to a performance pc later on down the road. I'd keep an eye on the BST thread and in a few months purchase a used video card I don't see that 8800GS lasting very long, but the important thing here is budget and staying within in it.
Old November 7, 2008, 04:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default easy

increase RAM size to 3GB and get best AGP card you can buy. should be way under your limit.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI