Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
Rookie

Default Upgrade (gfx, psu, cooler)

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, just discovered it while reading some reviews on the internet, and thought it was a great place to ask for advices :)

But let's go straight to the point.
I'm currently running on the following system:

ASUS Rampage Formula X48
INTEL Xeon X3350 (2.67GHz, 12MB cache)
THERMALRIGHT Ultra-120 eXtreme w/ NOCTUA NF-P12
OCZ Reaper 2x2GB DDR2-1066 CL5
SEASONIC S12+ 550w
eVGA 8800GTX KO ACS³ (626/1457/1000)
Creative X-Fi Fatality

The point is my 8800GTX gets into trouble with the latest games... in BIA-HH, C&C-RA3 and such, the computer hangs and crashes from time to time due to the 8800GTX overheating. Besides that, well I got frustrated when I can't get the graphic options high enough :p

Thus, I'm thinking about upgrading the system, first with a new graphics card: I know ATI's 4870X2 is the fastest card around here, but I must say I don't like ATI's Control Center, compared to nVIDIA Control Panel. I saw here in Belgium a new MSI GTX280 SuperOC card which looks great (700/1400/1150) and costs around 345 euros (pro price, that's 530 Canadian dollars).
Any advice on that?

Next, if I'm upgrading my graphics card, I guess my Seasonic 550w PSU will not do the trick anymore. Any advice on good PSU's out there? And which power should I be looking for (knowing I'm not planning on running SLI/Crossfire anytime soon)?

Finally, in order to make temps drop a bit globally in my case and to be able to overclock that Xeon processor a bit, I plan on upgrading my cooler. I heard about the CoolIT Freezone Elite lately, and thought it could be a very nice solution, but reviews out there are disappointing: some are saying it's just incredible and great, others are saying it's a piece of crap. So err... any users around here that might give an advice? :)

Well, I think that's it. Please forgive me if I'm doing a few mistakes writing in english

Last edited by fiddy; November 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old November 1, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

First off welcome to HWC.

Regarding your video card you get the EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 280 602MHZ 1024MB 2.214GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - $579.20 after $30MIR

But you would probably be suffice with the

EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 Core 216 576MHZ 896MB 1.99GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - $353.38 after $20MIR.

Both will be an improvement over your 8800GTX

Regarding your PSU, you could upgrade to the Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - $129.99

or if your budjet allows you could upgrade to the

Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 140MM Fan - $289.99

Personally I think the 1000 Watt is overkill if you don't plan on doing SLI which with the X48 board you can't do anyways.

As for you HSF, the TRUE 120 is a great HSF, if you want to go above and beyond that you would probably be looking into water cooling.

I hope this helps with your decision. Good Luck.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com

Last edited by BALISTX; November 1, 2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old November 1, 2008, 11:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

Your English is great so fear not. That price on the 280GTX sounds pretty good, it also sounds like you would prefer NVidia over ATI the 280 is a solid choice it would easily handle your new games at high resolutions. As for your new PSU I would get the Corsair HX620 w/ modular cables or the TX750 for some extra power room for the future. Otherwiser your Rig is rock solid ....Nicely Done.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old November 1, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy View Post
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, just discovered it while reading some reviews on the internet, and thought it was a great place to ask for advices :)

But let's go straight to the point.
I'm currently running on the following system:

ASUS Rampage Formula X48
INTEL Xeon X3350 (2.67GHz, 12MB cache)
THERMALRIGHT Ultra-120 eXtreme w/ NOCTUA NF-P12
OCZ Reaper 2x2GB DDR2-1066 CL5
SEASONIC S12+ 550w
eVGA 8800GTX KO ACS³ (626/1457/1000)
Creative X-Fi Fatality

The point is my 8800GTX gets into trouble with the latest games... in BIA-HH, C&C-RA3 and such, the computer hangs and crashes from time to time due to the 8800GTX overheating. Besides that, well I got frustrated when I can't get the graphic options high enough :p

Thus, I'm thinking about upgrading the system, first with a new graphics card: I know ATI's 4870X2 is the fastest card around here, but I must say I don't like ATI's Control Center, compared to nVIDIA Control Panel. I saw here in Belgium a new MSI GTX280 SuperOC card which looks great (700/1400/1150) and costs around 345 euros (pro price, that's 530 Canadian dollars).
Any advice on that?

Next, if I'm upgrading my graphics card, I guess my Seasonic 550w PSU will not do the trick anymore. Any advice on good PSU's out there? And which power should I be looking for (knowing I'm not planning on running SLI/Crossfire anytime soon)?

Finally, in order to make temps drop a bit globally in my case and to be able to overclock that Xeon processor a bit, I plan on upgrading my cooler. I heard about the CoolIT Freezone Elite lately, and thought it could be a very nice solution, but reviews out there are disappointing: some are saying it's just incredible and great, others are saying it's a piece of crap. So err... any users around here that might give an advice? :)

Well, I think that's it. Please forgive me if I'm doing a few mistakes writing in english
AKG reviewed that unit here at HWC if you are looking for a specific question drop him a PM.
While the CoolIT units are nice myself I would rather just go with a decient watercooling loop.
CoolIT Freezone Elite CPU Cooler Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys!

As I live in Belgium, prices you might refer to aren't necessarily the same as here.
Anyway, the eVGA GTX280 BALISTX mentions is more expensive and not overclocked, compared to the MSI I saw here which is overclocked to 700/1400/1150 and 40$ cheaper. Moreover, as far as I know the eVGA lifetime warranty isn't applicable here in Belgium, which makes the price difference worhtless, I guess.

Though, I was wondering if it was a good idea to buy an overclocked GTX280 now, since I heard nVIDIA should get new cards on the market soon? Though, rumours here say those cards should only be die shrinks with no real performance improvement. Rumours may be wrong, though...?

Concerning the PSU, Corsair seems a good choice, however the 750w model has been quite badly reviewed by some hardware tech magazines and webzines. Also, cwestwell is right, I would prefer a modular PSU. Maybe Corsair 620w would be enough for such a rig?

@Supergrover: yeah, I read that review. That's how I found this website, actually. The CoolIT Freezone Elite seems to have really great performance according to this review, but I might consider watercooling as well. The thing is I want my rig to be relatively easy to get from one place to another (lan parties, friend's, ...), and that may not be easy with watercooling?

Last edited by fiddy; November 2, 2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old November 2, 2008, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Hey again,

I had contact with AkG about the CoolIT Freezone Elite cooler, and he answered my questions about it, which is great. That cooler seems to be reaaaaally cool.

Apart from that, there' re still two questions in my head about my upgrade, if anyone has a bit of time to drop a line here:
- is it a good idea to buy a new GTX280 card right now?
- would a Corsair 620w modular PSU be enough for my rig?