Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2008, 12:43 PM
Top Prospect

Default Cheapest Microsoft OS

Hi guys,
I have a new Vista Ultimate upgrade which can be installed on almost any Vista, XP, 2000, 98 but can't seem to find a new version for cheap to install as a base.
Any recommendations on which one I should get and if there is going to be a down side to using a much older OS for install first.

This is for a completely new build.
Old October 31, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How to do a Clean Install of Vista Using the Vista Upgrade DVD
Step 1. Boot the PC from the Vista DVD.
Step 2. Select 'Install Now,' but do not enter the Product Key from the Vista packaging. Leave the input box blank. Also, turn off the option Automatically activate Windows when I'm online. In the next dialog box that appears, confirm that you really do want to install Vista without entering a Product Key.
Step 3. Correctly indicate the version of Vista that you're installing: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate.
Step 4. Select the 'Custom (Advanced)' install, not the 'Upgrade' install.
Step 5. Vista copies files at length and reboots itself one or more times. Wait for the install to complete. At this point, you might think that you could 'activate' Vista, but you can't. That's because you haven't installed the Vista upgrade yet. To do that, run the DVD's setup.exe program again, but this time from the Vista desktop. The easiest way to start setup again is to eject and then reinsert the DVD.
Step 6. Click 'Install Now.' Select Do not get the latest updates for installation. (You can check for these updates later.)
Step 7. This time, do enter the Product Key from the Vista packaging. Once again, turn off the option Automatically activate Windows when I'm online.
Step 8. On this second install, make sure to select 'Upgrade,' not 'Custom (Advanced).' You're not doing a clean install now, you're upgrading to Vista.
Step 9. Wait while Vista copies files and reboots itself. No user interaction is required. Do not boot from the DVD when asked if you'd like to do so. Instead, wait a few seconds and the setup process will continue on its way. Some DOS-like, character-mode menus will appear, but don't interact with them. After a few seconds, the correct choice will run for you automatically.
Step 10. After you click a button labeled Start in the Thank You dialog box, Vista's login screen will eventually appear. Enter the username and password that you selected during the first install. You're done upgrading to Vista.
Step 11. Within 30 days, you must 'activate' your copy of Vista or it'll lose functionality. To activate Vista, click Show more details in the Welcome Center that automatically displays upon each boot-up, then click Activate Windows now. If you've dismissed the Welcome Center, access the correct dialog box by clicking Start, Control Panel, System & Maintenance, System. If you purchased a legitimate copy of Vista, it should quickly activate over the Internet. (You can instead activate by calling Microsoft on the phone, which avoids your PC exchanging information with Microsoft's server.)

from infopackets
Old October 31, 2008, 12:54 PM
Allstar

Generally upgrades are not recommended.

MS does not have "Sales" on old OS's either.
They want you to buy the current one.
Old October 31, 2008, 01:01 PM
Top Prospect

Wow! That is great.
Has this worked for most?
Old October 31, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yepp, thats what I do with my Vista installs. Works like a charm.
Old October 31, 2008, 01:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

So essentially all you have to buy is the upgrade?
Old October 31, 2008, 01:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
So essentially all you have to buy is the upgrade?
That is how I'm understanding it. I already bought the upgrade for approx $70 throught he ultimatesteal deal.
Old October 31, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hi i got a question about this too, i upgraded my xp home to vista 32bit and i did enter the product key and it was the full os cd , would i be able to use my xp home cd key on a another computer?
Old October 31, 2008, 07:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

5ILVgeARX - I think if you read the license agreement you will find that the upgrade is used in place of the other OS and it states that you cannot use the other OS. That would be the purpose of the upgrade and why it is cheaper than a full version.

All that said, if you install the upgrade Vista in the manner described above you will be able to install the other version of XP and have both show as valid, I think. Not legal by the license agreement, but they would both work.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old October 31, 2008, 09:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

hmmm, something I didn't know. learn something everyday. How long till this gets locked?