Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Upgrade Part II (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/11299-upgrade-part-ii.html)

Phaddie October 29, 2008 08:21 AM

Upgrade Part II

Hey Guys,
A couple of months ago I made an upgrade purchase and its now time to finish that upgrade!!

What I have bought:
OCZ GamerXStream 700W PS
BFG GTX 280 OC
Lian Li ArmourSuit Case

What I have left from my old system still
AMD FX-55
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 x 160 gig seagate SATA drives
ZALMAN 9700
generic dvd burner

I want to spend about a 1000 Canadian dollars and will prolly bye from www.ncix.com, they have great price matching so I usually buy from there. Was hoping to get new CPU, MB, and of course memory. Maybe a bigger hard drive to keep movies and MP3's on.

I do some gaming but not super hardcore, I like playing with overclocking as well for sh&^s & Giggles. This machine will mainly be for games(RPG's, FPS, Strategy) and media server for movies and music to my PS3.

The main question is with my budget is it worth waiting a couple more weeks and getting new CPU architecture??

Thanx guys

Phad..

Eagle Eye October 29, 2008 08:36 AM

You could you'll have to stretch your budget though if you need a cpu, motherboard, memory and a HDD I wouldn't expect the Intel Core i7 and new intel chipsets to be cheap.

Phaddie October 29, 2008 08:38 AM

That is what I was thinking. Does an appropriate price drop usually come from the current equipment? So would the Quads and the motherboards for them come down? Or is it a wait and see type of situation?

Phad

MpG October 29, 2008 08:50 AM

You'd probably be served just as well by getting a good P45 motherboard, some good PC8000-8500 DDR2 RAM, and overclocking a dual-core chip up to around 3.6-3.8Ghz. At that range, cooling shouldn't be much of a problem, and nothing short of max details/resolutions on games like Crysis will pose much of a problem. And it'll cost much less than an X58 motherboard, an I7 chip and three sticks of DDR3.

Haven't seen any word on upcoming price cuts, and Intel's had a tendency to announce those in advance lately, so I don't think I'd get my hopes up. It'll almost certainly be awhile before any budget I7 motherboard are realized.

miggs78 October 29, 2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 105974)
You'd probably be served just as well by getting a good P45 motherboard, some good PC8000-8500 DDR2 RAM, and overclocking a dual-core chip up to around 3.6-3.8Ghz. At that range, cooling shouldn't be much of a problem, and nothing short of max details/resolutions on games like Crysis will pose much of a problem. And it'll cost much less than an X58 motherboard, an I7 chip and three sticks of DDR3.

Haven't seen any word on upcoming price cuts, and Intel's had a tendency to announce those in advance lately, so I don't think I'd get my hopes up. It'll almost certainly be awhile before any budget I7 motherboard are realized.

Totally agreed with MpG here really, It'll be cheaper to just go for a Intel Core 2 Duo build, i7 is going to cost an arm and a leg really.

Phaddie October 29, 2008 10:04 AM

What I had been eyeing is this:

Rampage Formula
Q9550
4 Gigs Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066
sunbeam core contact cooler
500 Gig western Digital (cannot remember which one now)

That and a few trinkettts is about 940 + tax and shipping from NCIX

That is my budget and was thinking from what I had read that it would do me nicely. Not sure if I can get same performance for less price or more performance..

Thanx guys...

BALISTX October 29, 2008 11:21 AM

You don't really need a Quad Core, I think a E8400 would suit you fine. With a good HSF, you should be able to push it to 4.0GHz no problem and that will not bottleneck your GeForce GTX 280

cwestwell October 29, 2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BALISTX (Post 106016)
You don't really need a Quad Core, I think a E8400 would suit you fine. With a good HSF, you should be able to push it to 4.0GHz no problem and that will not bottleneck your GeForce GTX 280

Agreed...I moved away from a quad to a dual on my gaming rig (the top one in the sig) and was able to get a lot more OC room out of my CPU which lowered the CPU bottleneck and produced better 3dmark results as well as in game frame rates.

Phaddie October 29, 2008 12:57 PM

Cool, this is not the first I have heard that. There must be a point at which a Quad-Core does outperform a dual core, or is it all in the software utilization. I am hoping to have this computer for about 4 or 5 years. So if the software is going to catch up would a quad not be a better choice long term?

BALISTX October 29, 2008 01:16 PM

It's mostly software utilization. Application or games that are written to take advantage of the multi-threading that a Quad Core offers. Quad Core will outperform a dual core in cases such as video rendering.