Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 12:47 AM
Top Prospect

Default Cheapest build with a 4870X2?

any ideas? something that won't bottleneck the gpu?
Old October 28, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You'll need to oc your CPU to at least 3.6-3.8 from what we've seen on the review benchmarks.
Old October 28, 2008, 02:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

that's rated GHz, not clock speeds, methinks. An E8400 build would do it justice.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old October 28, 2008, 04:30 PM
Top Prospect

my budget is 1300 CAN. i need everything except speakers and a monitor. I need a PC with a GPU that will last me 4-5 years.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Read the sticky, search the threads around the forum. Then you'll know what you can get for $1300.

A PC can last for 4 to 5 years, but if you want the best performance and quality out of your system, your rig will last about 2 years max. After that, as newer and more graphic intensive games release, you'll need to turn down the quality of your games or upgrade your parts.
Old October 29, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personally think a quad would be better choice for a longterm solution for future game releases, provided we are just beginning to see games utilize all 4 cores now it will be more common with the years to come.

The motherboard choice is a little out of my area of expertise, however I would pick something that would allow you the option of adding a second 4870x2

Personally I don't see a videocard lasting 4-5 years, at best 3 years. Even with my dual 8800GT setup prior to getting my GTX280 they took quite a beating even with the current titles released now and they were only 7 months old.
Old October 29, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I personally think a quad would be better choice for a longterm solution for future game releases, provided we are just beginning to see games utilize all 4 cores now it will be more common with the years to come.
I totally agree....with the advent of FC2 and Fallout3 utilizing all Cores why cripple yourself. I'm personally thinking of retirng my E8400 for a Q9550, but not before I lay the Voltage to it and see what it can do hahahaha

Old October 29, 2008, 04:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I totally agree....with the advent of FC2 and Fallout3 utilizing all Cores why cripple yourself. I'm personally thinking of retirng my E8400 for a Q9550, but not before I lay the Voltage to it and see what it can do hahahaha
sorry to get off topic but do you guys resell your parts after you've finished with them? i mean your 8400 is rather new and if your retiring it you would sell it on these forums or something right?
Old October 30, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
sorry to get off topic but do you guys resell your parts after you've finished with them? i mean your 8400 is rather new and if your retiring it you would sell it on these forums or something right?
Thats the first thing to come to mind, is selling it here on these Forums. As in the past I have sold an Evga 8800GTX and 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer Memory (gor a mre fraction of what I paid). Which brings to this conclusion, IF I purchased a Q9550, I'd likely keep the E8400 for another "scraps" build, I'm really kicking myself now for selling the other components!!

Old October 30, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Its a vicious cycle my friend...sell the old to fund the new.