Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2008, 10:15 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, my barbs just shipped btw... (my bad) The ITX and mem. are coming via Xpresspost, so I should have them Monday and they should be up and running promptly (once I re-assemble the PSU that is..., it's last outing was a meeting with a sandblaster)
Old October 24, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

your barbs? waa? am i missing something here? water cooling it?
Old October 24, 2008, 11:26 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

The WC for my 4870X2, that's been a WIP for far to long now...
Old October 24, 2008, 11:39 AM
Allstar

The best linux ive heard from peeps who were 'heavy' into Unix flavors is always Debian. Linux is just Linux. But, Debian has the best package installers and is autimatically updated up to two times a day, unlike most linux flavors. Or, you could go full on Unix and get something like Solaris 10 for x86 :)) Now that would be bragging rights LoL. A Solaris OS at home!
Old October 25, 2008, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Tazer: Ubuntu is built on Debian so you get all those benefits plus Ubuntu updates the software in it's stable repos much more often than Debian (stable that is). Btw you can update any distro as often as you like, fex. on Gentoo just create a cron job that runs emerge --sync ; emerge -uvN world daily or whatever.

Solaris was hit-or-miss when they first went x86 but I guess with their opteron offerings they should have sorted that out by now. Still most people I know prefer a GNU userland and Dr_Bend_over has experience w/ Ubuntu already so no point changing just for the hell of it. Honestly, it's not much to brag about anyway. If lineage is important for some reason or you prefer a BSD userland than FreeBSD or OpenBSD would be my choice for a server. Solaris is nice with ZFS and all but I'd leave it on Sun's machines. If bragging is important than you go with LFS or plan9 or something more obscure.
Old October 29, 2008, 01:30 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Seem's that once again I fell for the 1-4 day CP shipping, which sometimes turns out to be 1 to 14 day's.