Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2008, 08:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, afte reading this (EVGA 750i SLI FTW - SZ1I BIOS Released) I think I'll leave it as is. If they are no issues with the board, there is no need to flash. But if you need to it is now rather easy with simply burning an .iso image on a CD, which is bootable.

john
Old October 18, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

John, Okay sounds good.

I can't wait till all the parts come in so I can start putting this rig together. I'm going to be very meticulous with this install and cable management. When I'm done it's going to be a work of art.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 19, 2008, 06:06 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

About the only thing missing is a HWC case badge.
Old October 19, 2008, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Exactly. Hey Gav where are those HWC Badges.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 19, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well now I definitely want an HWC case badge or two.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 19, 2008, 09:17 AM
MVP

Woot. This is a nice one... it has all solid caps and the sata ports face outwards on the edge. NV just released another SLI FTW model that doesn't have the side facing ports, and in fact looks like a refurb of all the 680Is that were stepped up back when the 780i first came out -- slap a diff NB cooler on it, clean it up and resell it. I dunno... but I like this one!

I bought a lot of open box mobos in the last year or two, and only a couple of them actually had problems. Both were serious enough that I RMA'd them, and ended up getting brand new replacements with pristine packaging and sealed contents. Lets hope we don't get a delay because of an RMA, but if so, it is even better in the end.

So regarding opened box mobos, my routine has been:

Once the OS is installed, test all the integrated features and temperatures. Try to discover why it was returned. Often enough, it is just because the previous owners CPU or RAM wouldn't work with the board (either wrong socket, older CPU or DDR1/3 ram), or could be a scratch on the NB cooler, or a loose pushpin, or a broken PCIe card lock tab. So the board could be perfect without defects, or it may be minor esthetic damage, or a minor bug in one of the features. It could also be the thing didn't O/C enough for the original user, and otherwise works perfect. A bad O/C could be the user himself.

Often enough, I determine the reason it was returned (to my satisfaction) quite quickly. The boards I returned, one would not boot, the other the Vdimm wouldn't change no matter what it was set to. Both fairly easy discoveries. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
And the board in question:

I'll ship it on Monday.

John
boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old October 19, 2008, 09:35 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Honestly, afte reading this (EVGA 750i SLI FTW - SZ1I BIOS Released) I think I'll leave it as is. If they are no issues with the board, there is no need to flash.
Agreed! Performance could suffer, because I heard that board timings were relaxed to try to clear up that video corruption problem. Since this will run at stock speed, you want as tight and high performance a BIOS as you can get. I like how they have added an enable and disable feature to this version, but will probably still suffer when disabled. Having a BIOS previous to all this is best, and move forward only if the corruption problem manifests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
... I'm going to be very meticulous with this install and cable management. When I'm done it's going to be a work of art.
Military precision, baybuh!!

Oh, and the Military doesn't have a sense of taste or otherwise understand what art it. They lost that ability along with a sense of humor way back in Napoleon's days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
OMG yeah! In a pinch, we can just print some up with an color inkjet on the right Avery Lables paper. But I would really like to see some quality ones available, perhaps used for fundraising on another worthy cause. I'd definately want a few if not a dozen or so!

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old October 19, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow how come I didn't catch this sooner? This just shows how friendly the HWC community is. I am SO GLAD I came here. Hell even buying stuff here is easy and reliable! Thanks a ton! And congrats BALISTX on getting a fully donated computer! Rock on!!!
Old October 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, even though the board was bought off eBay, it's relatively brand new. The first owner bought it from NCIX (!), and then had a deal he couldn't refuse on a 780i.

The 750i was booted once, to make sure it was functional. Which it still is. Which is good news for the built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithotech View Post
Woot. This is a nice one... it has all solid caps and the sata ports face outwards on the edge. NV just released another SLI FTW model that doesn't have the side facing ports, and in fact looks like a refurb of all the 680Is that were stepped up back when the 780i first came out -- slap a diff NB cooler on it, clean it up and resell it. I dunno... but I like this one!

I bought a lot of open box mobos in the last year or two, and only a couple of them actually had problems. Both were serious enough that I RMA'd them, and ended up getting brand new replacements with pristine packaging and sealed contents. Lets hope we don't get a delay because of an RMA, but if so, it is even better in the end.

So regarding opened box mobos, my routine has been:

Once the OS is installed, test all the integrated features and temperatures. Try to discover why it was returned. Often enough, it is just because the previous owners CPU or RAM wouldn't work with the board (either wrong socket, older CPU or DDR1/3 ram), or could be a scratch on the NB cooler, or a loose pushpin, or a broken PCIe card lock tab. So the board could be perfect without defects, or it may be minor esthetic damage, or a minor bug in one of the features. It could also be the thing didn't O/C enough for the original user, and otherwise works perfect. A bad O/C could be the user himself.

Often enough, I determine the reason it was returned (to my satisfaction) quite quickly. The boards I returned, one would not boot, the other the Vdimm wouldn't change no matter what it was set to. Both fairly easy discoveries. :D
Old October 19, 2008, 06:01 PM
Rookie

Great thread everyone! Just found this thread today. I don't really have anything to donate, but, it looks like everything is covered :-) Just wanted to say WAY TO GO. Our son also got back safe and sound from Afghanistan last month. Its great to see support like this.