Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2008, 08:16 PM
Rookie

Default First build, check this over

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming, Photoshop, Painter, Learning 3dsmax, Learning Zbrush, Movies

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

~$1500 - >$2000 would be ideal

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

My preference goes to the best performance/price ratio not brand

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

None

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes, I did lots of research

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Some mild overclocking once I get more comfortable building

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

I plan on ordering parts within a week if not sooner

I have put a build together that seems like it will work for me, I researched every single part I chose from multiple sources and benchmarks.

I will be using a 24" monitor if that information is needed.

The build:

COOLER MASTER RC-690
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4
Q6600
OCZ Vendetta 2
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000w
2x 4850 cards in CF
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
WD Caviar SE16 640 GB (can and will get another or raptors later)
ASUS 20X DVD±R

I plan to overclock the processor to around 3Ghz maybe more, This will be my first ever PC build so any tips and criticism is welcome.

While I'm at it... Do I need to use motherboard risers, do I need to plug the 4 or 8 pin connector into the motherboard as well as the 24 pin main power and lastly do I need to use thermal grease or is the performance gain minor enough to ignore when not planning to OC very high (don't really trust myself applying a liquid to things that tend to break when liquids are applied to them just yet).
Old October 12, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd suggest stepping your memory up to some DDR28000 or 8500, it'll give you room if you decide to OC that Q6600 and considering the prices on it right now it's almost a no brainer.

I suggest the Mushkin Redlines in my sig or some Ascents, the Redlines can be had for less than 100 on NCIX right now.

Also you in no way need that 1k PSU, Trust me, save yourself the 100 (or almost 150!!) and go get a corsair TX750 or HX620 (if you want modular) if you don't.. I'd def get the 750. They can EASILY handle those video cards in CF.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Encorp is right, 1000W is pretty overkill for a system like that. I haven't seen many systems that actually need 1000W. I know i sound like a record player but, a corsair HX620 or TX750 are excellent choices. I would go for the modular, easier to cable manage and get a good airflow. Mushkin redlines are awesome, i have them myself. Never got a problem caused by RAM, yet. Also i reconmend you getting the bolt thru kit for the OCZ vendetta 2. Pushpins are a big headache if you don't have enough patience. Um i'm going to guess you need those motherboard risers (don't worry that case comes with them) i never seen a motherboard that didn't. Are you sure you want x2 4850? There hasn't been much gain in fps with 2 4850. My friend gets all these errors from using crossfire 4850s. I suggest a 4870 (not the 1GB). Other then that it looks awesome.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old October 12, 2008, 09:11 PM
Rookie

I do want a modular psu since this is my first build and I don't want to go through the headache of trying to tie everything off for maximum case airflow, I did choose the psu so it could handle anything I throw at it and last for a good while. I do want to oc the processor to a nice stable 3 Ghz because I have read that it is easily do-able but do I need more than ddr2 6400 ram to do that?

As for the dual cards I do plan on running games in 1920x1200 on my 24 inch monitor and the many benchmarks I have read recommend dual cards for high resolutions plus the price is really good on them right now.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the dual 4850's are fine; they are nice cards.

The HX620 and TX750 will both handle what you can throw at them for a long while.

Wattage isn't the big factor. But if you would feel safer with the large one by all means, I just havn't seen a computer in a long time that actually justified it. In fact that TX750 can handle two GTX280's NO problem.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 13, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

+2 for Corsair 750TX. For the case, I would suggest the RC-590 over the 690, it is more deeper, more space, and technically I think it is better designed really.

If you are going to be overclocking I would suggest getting mose Mushkin Ascents PC8500 4GB set, real good of a memory.. Lastly the money you save on the power supply, I'm suggest you get a Q9450 or a Q9550 instead, newer 45nm quad, it is cooler, and technically is performs better than the Q6600.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 13, 2008, 01:39 AM
Rookie

I'll switch the psu to the 750TX, is there any other ram alternatives? what specs do I need on the ram to OC the q6600 to 3Ghz or a bit more?
Old October 13, 2008, 03:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post

If you are going to be overclocking I would suggest getting mose Mushkin Ascents PC8500 4GB set, real good of a memory.. Lastly the money you save on the power supply, I'm suggest you get a Q9450 or a Q9550 instead, newer 45nm quad, it is cooler, and technically is performs better than the Q6600.
Sorry bro, i'm going to have to say -1 for the Q9450. I've used both, sold my Q6600 when i bought my Q9450 and found that the 9450 actually ran HOTTER than the 6600 (yeah i know this flies in the face of convention, but that is my personal experience using the exact same cooling equipment for both CPUs, while both watercooling and air cooling)

(my own personal overclocks)

Q9450 stock = 2.6Ghz
Q6600 stock = 2.4Ghz

Q9450 on air = 3.5 stable
Q6600 on air = 3.5 stable

Q9450 on water = 3.7 stable
Q6600 on water = 3.8 stable

i've also noticed zero difference in the two processors while doing anything that i do, and i'm always doing things that take everything my pc has to offer.

so i say stick with the q6600 because its cheeper. for about the same performance.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old October 13, 2008, 03:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by xollner View Post
I'll switch the psu to the 750TX, is there any other ram alternatives? what specs do I need on the ram to OC the q6600 to 3Ghz or a bit more?
If you can unlink your ram with that board, ram will be a non issue while overclocking the Q6600. I'm almost positive that the 6600 will very easily overclock to 3.0ghz. While on air i didnt have any trouble getting to 3.2 with the "auto" settings on the voltages and only tweeking the FSB.

The most important componant to overclocking is the HSF, which you are choosing the vendetta 2, though its a good HSF, I'd recomend (and will probly be sht on for it) the Zalman 9500 or 9700, they have a solid copper bottom that is polished enough to see the hair up your nose when you look at it, and i was able to attain 3.5 ghz stable with the 9500 (wich is lesser than, and smaller than the 9700) I currently have the 9700 which i have not bothered trying to overclock with as of yet.

Vendetta 2 base
Name:  V2_baseB.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  128.4 KB

Zalman cnps9500 base
Name:  9500_9.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  149.9 KB

Also i'll note that i read on the forums here, Somebody bought the Vendetta 2 and had problems with a hight difference between the copper and the aluminum parts which required him to lap. which is a bit of a pain in the ass. The two Zalmans i have look as if they've already been lapped and are perfectly flat and mirror smooth, right out of the box.

Also, i'll +1 to the Mushkin redlines.

(edit) I should also note, that the vendetta 2 has the push pin type attatchment, while the zalman has the bolt through screw down type attatchment, which i would say is far safer for the size of both of these heatsinks, if you tend to move your pc around a bit.
(the push pin type could become loose while moving the pc around with a heatsink of that size and weight)

vista 64 on these rigs

Last edited by tzetsin; October 13, 2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old October 13, 2008, 03:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

oh, and one other thing, order up some arctic cooling MX2 thermal paste, its the very best, and has no curing time before maximum thermal conductivity is attained.

vista 64 on these rigs