Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm, I would say keep the DDR2 800 RAM. OCZ Reapers can overclock fairly well and most RAM should be able to hit DDR 900 easily, which running in a 1:1 means 450FSB.

Instead of getting two 4850, have you looked into a 4870 or GTX260 216 or a 9800GX2? Those are some pretty good cards as well.

I myself have an OCZ Vendetta 2 and it's a great cooler. My temps don't even top 50C on my rig in sig.

For the PSU, go with what the others say. No need for a 1000W power supply. The Corsair HX620 is more than enough for your rig, even if you decide to stick with two 4850. Plus, it's modular so cable management will be a breeze.

When you plan to get another hard drive, I suggest that you get 640GB hard drives. To me, the 640GB hard drives are plenty fast and you don't need to pay that much extra for a Raptor X.
Old October 13, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha we'll all confuse the poor guy. Lets keep the suggestions organized. Lets not make up his mind for him!

As far as the memory goes you can go with either or and you'll be fine. If you only plan to hit maybe 3.0ghz on that Q6600 then you can stick with the OCZ and overclock them. Or you can pick up the Redlines and either leave them at 1000 or underclock them a bit and tighten timings and keep your ratio. It dosn't really matter, because you will learn a lot about oc'ing just by trying either of those sets out. I say go with whatever you feel most comfortable buying.

Definitely change that PSU out; if you're really concerned about it being modular you can look at the HX620 or another good modular psu, you really do not need to spend more than 100-150 (MAX) to get a psu to supply your system very well. But if you can handle cables, get that 750, you'll really be impressed when you open the box!

Choose either of the coolers, but the OCZ has been arguably better in tests lately, again, it comes down to choice.. if you're not a hardcore overclocker you probably won't notice much at all and to be honest, both of those will keep a Q6600 perfectly cool up until about 3.2 ish (depending on vcore of course).

Geokilla's suggestion on the 640gb drive is a good one too; those drives really rock; but go with whatever you want! If you're dying for a Vrap! Do it up :D
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 13, 2008, 03:03 PM
Rookie

Yeah I'll go with another 640 first because I love my space and I will probably pick some raptors up when they drop in price in a couple of months, 750TX it is for the psu, I'm going to stick with the reaper ram though and I will stick with the ocz. I have to I have acess to a mill so I could level it off easily but I would hardly notice the performance drop if I only plan on OCing around 3Ghz right?
Old October 13, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xollner View Post
Yeah I'll go with another 640 first because I love my space and I will probably pick some raptors up when they drop in price in a couple of months, 750TX it is for the psu, I'm going to stick with the reaper ram though and I will stick with the ocz. I have to I have acess to a mill so I could level it off easily but I would hardly notice the performance drop if I only plan on OCing around 3Ghz right?
You probably won't notice it at all really, performance wise. It all comes down to the math and how the numbers add up when you're oc'ing. You'll be safe around 3.0 for sure and maybe 4.2 depending on how your compontents work together I think.

I mean worse case, if you decide you really need different ram you can sell that off fast and pick up some higher specced mem later right?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 13, 2008, 03:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
You probably won't notice it at all really, performance wise. It all comes down to the math and how the numbers add up when you're oc'ing. You'll be safe around 3.0 for sure and maybe 4.2 depending on how your compontents work together I think.

I mean worse case, if you decide you really need different ram you can sell that off fast and pick up some higher specced mem later right?
Of course, this is merely the basic build that I plan on updating every so often when I get some extra cash.

On another note what kind of CFM should my fans have (looking at ~60 cfm scythes), I don't mind some minor audible noise but I don't want a turbine beside me.
Old October 13, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use all Noctua's but everyone has recently jumped off that bandwagon. I love em though, I am not sure which specific models of other kinds you should look for; maybe someone else can pipe in here? Noctua's are expensive so I'm sure you could find some cheaper that'd do better or equal.

I like noctua's because I actually LIKE the look unlike most people! LOL