Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Recommendations for a good HTPC mobo? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/10790-recommendations-good-htpc-mobo.html)

Killswitch October 11, 2008 08:35 PM

Recommendations for a good HTPC mobo?

Seeing as I'm going to have some spare parts kicking around when my Phenom comes next week, I'm really thinking about building a decent HTPC for movies, recording shows, pumping music through the stereo, and some light gaming (ie - NHL '09, Bionic Commando Re-Armed, etc).

Here are some of the parts I have for it right now.
- Athlon64 5000+ X2 Black Edition with and AC Freezer64 Pro
- Diamond HD3870.
- ATi Theater 650 Pro PCIe x1 dual tuner card with remote for Media Center :thumb:

I still need a case, PSU, hard drive, and maybe one optical drive. I plan on upgrading the ram in my gaming rig to 1066mhz stuff so the 800mhz ram in it will be handed down to this machine.

I'm in no rush to build this just yet. But I'm making plans for it now and I have no clue as to what the best board for this type of setup would be. I'd prefer a mATX solution so I can use a small case (which I have to pick out still). Good overclocking isn't a priority, but keeping the 5000+ at 3ghz would be nice. Oh, and really good onboard sound is a must since I don't really want to get a sound card for it.

Let the brainstorming begin!

CMetaphor October 11, 2008 08:37 PM

Can't beat a 780G motherboard then. :thumb:

Killswitch October 11, 2008 11:12 PM

Funny you say that 'cause I was checking out this one.......... NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G mATX AM2+ PCI-EX SATA RAID Video Sound GLAN 1394 HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA78GM-S2H In Canada.
But I didn't know if there was something better for this application or not.

Anyone else have 2 cents to add? Any case recommendations?

3.0charlie October 12, 2008 06:57 AM

I bought the same combo last week - board and chip. My first AMD ever, actually. From my readings, this is the best combo for an HTPC.

CMetaphor October 12, 2008 07:13 AM

Like 3.0Chalie said, at that price point the combo can't be beat. A 780G -based HTPC setup can even play a few older games using the onboard graphics chip (HD3200), more so than any other onboard graphics I've seen to date. :thumb:

PS: For a little extra performance take a look at this one:
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H AMD780G mATX AM2+ Sideport PCI-E SATA RAID Sound GLAN HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA78GPM-DS2H In Canada.
It has 128Mb of Dedicated DDR3 "Sideport" memory.:clap:

Killswitch October 12, 2008 10:46 AM

Well since I'm going to stick my 3870 in it I'm not too concerned with onboard video performance. But having onboard video as a good backup is definitely a plus :thumb: 'cause if ATi happens to follow Nvidia and do the physics thing, this card will be going back in my main rig.

The cooler on the 3870 I have isn't the reference cooler either. So it's nice and quiet compared to the original.

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/553/card.jpg

CanadaRox October 12, 2008 08:00 PM

I have the GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard and X2 4600+ and it works great. Plays 1080p perfectly fine using the onboard though its only over VGA because my TV doesn't seem to like the HDMI port. There is no need for anything more powerful than the onboard for just watching movies. Even the HD3200 is good enough for playing Quake 3 and Audiosurf (the only games I have tried on my HTPC) at 1080p. I've also got a RAID card in the PCI-E slot and it works flawlessly. I'd say drop the 3870 and go with just the onboard as its plenty powerful enough and it'll reduce noise and power consumption. The case/PSU I use is the Antec Sonata III 500. Its a great case that has room for 4 hard drives which are mounted using Antec's system to make them super quiet (and it works, 3 x 500GB and 1 x 80GB and its dead silent). The PSU is extremely good, especially for being included with a $100 case. It is the Earthwatts 500W PSU if you want to look for a review for it. I've done a number of builds with that case/PSU combo and I've never had any problems at all.