Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

PC P&P are good power supplies.

I own the 750w they came out with 2 years ago and my only major gripe with it ... the thickness of the 24 pin cables, otherwise its been rock solid and gone through a lot of overclocks.
Old October 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
Rookie

More delays today I'm afraid. Moores Law is going to have kicked in by the time I get all the components for this build. They emailed me today to say that the CPU has sold out so they'll have to wait for that. So I am going to cancel the CPU from the order and order it locally to save time.

They're still waiting on the graphics card too. Though, to give credit where it's due, they did ask if I wanted to switch to the Xpertvision 4870 1GB (it's the same as the Palit HD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic Edition) which is factory overclocked, has an improved cooler and, best of all, is 15 cheaper than the Sapphire. They don't have it listed on their website so I thought it was decent of them to offer.
Old October 13, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Remember one thing on that Sonic Edition card, it is not based on the reference card design, the PCB is smaller, hence any aftermark cooling will NOT work for that card.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 13, 2008, 02:29 PM
Rookie

I noticed that alright, the card is about 1cm shorter. But looking at the temperatures with the cooler that's included, I can't see myself needing any extra. The one problem I could see is that the cooler on this card does not vent all the hot air directly out of the case. The Antec 1200 provides a mount for a 120mm fan on the side panel over the PCI-Express slots though so I can either look at including this or possibly turning all case fans to medium may be sufficient. Or it may be a non issue. lol I'll wait and see when I get it built up (next year sometime at the current rate of progress )