Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2008, 02:55 AM
Rookie

Default Bestdirect.ca/TdDirect

Alright, I'm making my first build, and I found some good prices on Bestdirect.ca. Free shipping over 500$ sounds very good.

Does anyone have experience with them? Do they ship fast? Do they package everything nicely?
Old October 10, 2008, 03:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I bought a motherboard from them a while back and everything went very smoothly. Pricing well thats something to be said it really depends on what you're buying and how much.

*Note* TD/Bestdirect.ca do not loose your order # without it they cannot retrieve a lost or misplaced invoice. I was unable to get a invoice for my motherboard which was misplaced during a move and since I don't have an invoice I have no proof of purchase for warranty purposes.

DirectCanada has very good pricing and their shipping rates are very reasonable orders over $300 shipped free I have had nothing but good experiences with DC. NCIX.com is another alternative they offer a more extensive product selection and you can pricematch your order and spend less with them, however their shipping is only free with their membership or redeeming your ncix rewards points.

Last edited by Eagle Eye; October 10, 2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Updated "note"
Old October 10, 2008, 03:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

I would just use Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada, free shipping on orders over $300.

Its owned by the same company (NX Group)

What are your componants and prices? Because you might be able to find better prices for each componant at different places, price match at NCIX and it would make up for having to pay for shipping there.

But I'm sure bestdirect is fine, if your set on ordering from there

edit: damn EagleEye beat me to it
Old October 10, 2008, 03:30 AM
Rookie

Where exactly on NCIX do I go to price match?

I'm getting the following items. Feel free to critique and give advice.

C2D e8400
Gigabyte P45-DS3L
Corsair 520 HX
Corsair XMS2-6400 4gb
Antec p182
Asus 9600GT 512mb (Was gonna get the 8800gt, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere, and 9600 is fast enough since I only do some moderate gaming and will be using this computer mainly for watching anime/movies. And it seems to work well in linux.)
WD SE16 640gb
Samsung 22x dvd writer (unless any of you have a better suggestion.)

I think that's it.

EDIT: I may get a monitor aswell, if not now, a month or two down the road when I get more cash. What's a really nice 22"?

Last edited by n0rd1c; October 10, 2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old October 10, 2008, 03:44 AM
Rookie

In the shopping cart when you have everything you like, you scroll down and their should be a price match option, click it, then do the rest.

Remember they only accept prices from other canadian sites, not american like newegg.com, but newegg.ca is okay.

Old October 10, 2008, 03:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello View Post
In the shopping cart when you have everything you like, you scroll down and their should be a price match option, click it, then do the rest.

Remember they only accept prices from other canadian sites, not american like newegg.com, but newegg.ca is okay.
Awesome! I was originally going to buy from memory express, but their product selection is awful. But their prices are good. I avoided NCIX at first because of the prices, but now that I know about price match.. awesome. Plus they're literally right next to me, so shipping shouldn't be much.
Old October 10, 2008, 05:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Looks like a decent system. As for your monitor question:
Both are very good monitors. I've seen both and I own the 2253.

The 2253 is supposed to be a bit higher quality by Sammy's new nomenclature (i.e all things equal a 53 beats a 20 model)

But (just based on my personal experience) I probably wouldn't get the 2253 again. Don't get me wrong its good a monitor but it did needs a LOT of tweaking to get the colours even close to being right, and they still aren't exactly where I want them. This is the first monitor where I've actually thought about buying a calibration device, which urks me to no end as I've setup hundreds over the years and I know I'm close but its not perfect (I use DisplayMate + adobe's calibration). Maybe my 8bit NEC has me spoiled, maybe I go a bad one. Who knows.

The other thing I dislike about the 2253 is the buttons are hidden on the bottom. You get this clear acrylic piece along the bottom which reflects the buttons LEDs light so you sort of know where each button is but its a royal PITA.

Long story short ;)

Better pannel (from all I've read and heard)= 2253
Better controls = 2220
Colour reproduction = ???? (all 6 bit panels < 8 bit)

Just my .02 cents, hope it helps.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; October 10, 2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old October 10, 2008, 05:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Memory Express.. Lawl..

Well both NCIX and Direct Canada are good, if you are going to spend a bunch of money, check out DC, you could save some money on shipping really..

And that build looks fairly good, if your going to overclock I'd suggest getting the DS3R over the DS3L... And I would also get soem mushkin memory if I were you, for overclocking purposed mushkin works great..

Oh and we have mushkin and direct canada support people here in case you have problems..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 10, 2008, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX price match is located in your "cart" at the bottom it say "start price match" You enter the price of the item and the URL that the product is located, sometimes the price does not work I think its best to contact NCIX regarding it.

Example:
Attached Images