Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 04:49 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yep, the last thing we wnat (as consumers) is to have one of thiese "players" monopolize the Market....take a look at how much the GTX 2xx Series Cards went down in price (to respectable values) once ATI introduced their new line-up....really....! I couldn't imagine EVER spending upwards of $700 on a GPU!
I totally agree. I am anti brand loyalty and pro competition. We have to keep them going as they seem to swap the lead every generation anyways and without competition you get microsoft. Bloated crapware with an 85% profit margin.

But this is about who is kicking butt this generation. Intel and ATI have the edge right now.
Old October 8, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Really,,,,?.....I'm running BIO version P04 (updated once from P03) but was only hoping for a higher OC with less vCore (didn't happen for me though). I believe they are up to P07 right now and some folks are actually finding higher OC's with less vCore, so I may try flashing at some point, it if it ain't broke. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones....

Old October 8, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Intel and ATI have the edge right now.
.......ATI......huh.....check out the Gaming Thread and have a look at the Hardware of those folks that are "crashing" and experiencing Lock-ups playing Crysis Warhead......I was actually chuckling to myself as these are the same folks saying how great their Hardware is...?...I ran through that game, Crysis, Bioshock, COD4 without one single issue...and am looking forward to Far Cry 2.

Anyhoo......we really do have to HOPE that the red vs Green goes on for a very long time.....damn...if only Microsoft has a major competitor!!

Old October 8, 2008, 06:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm stuck wondering why someone would build such a high-end machine and only run XP? That's like building a mud truck and sticking a mild small block under the hood. Sure it'll get the job done but a built big block would make it a lot better......... DX10 does have some nice visuals over DX9 when you have the hardware to max out game settings.
Old October 8, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've decided (actually decided 8 months ago when I built the Rig in my Sig) that I would give XP another year, just to see how Vista settles in and whether or not it simply becomes another "Millenium"...really, the OS is nothing to swap out later on....as for DX9 vs DX10, I cannot comment on that as I have no experience running or even seeing these games played under DX 10.

Old October 21, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

"Bump"....sorry guys, still seeing a ton of inquiries as to "what someone wants re: a new Gaming Build", although some here disagree, imo, its a good build.

Cheers! (Prices in the links may have changed over the last few weeks).

Old October 22, 2008, 01:41 AM
Allstar

im really surprised anyone here even knows how to use a machine LoL Personally, I could prolly run back end database, web server, email server, and drive web apps on one of our bad boys. But hey, if your digital thingies is bigger than mine, learn what its made for first
:p
Old October 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

?...huh...?......too many "Lucky's"... :)

Old October 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've said it before and I will say it again.. Even though some of that stuff you listed might have worked for you, I think AMD based chipsets are now no match to the P45 and X48 chipsets.. oh and ATI and Intel do have the edge right now, if you don't believe it... you need to research... and that is period!!
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again.. Even though some of that stuff you listed might have worked for you, I think AMD based chipsets are now no match to the P45 and X48 chipsets.. oh and ATI and Intel do have the edge right now, if you don't believe it... you need to research... and that is period!!

Ahh Miggs is always good for a little salt in the eye..or salt of the earth I am not sure ...but either way

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit