Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
There is plenty of talk around the web about the 680/780 chipsets causing data corruption. That was enough to steer me clear of them.
On the other hand, I have read plenty of Threads on other Forums whereby folks are having great success (including myself) with the 780i and 790i Boards, As for 680i Boards, I beleieve that their were problems with them, but like everything, they have supposedly "worked out" the many of the bugs.
And yes, the ability to "unlink" my Memory has enabled me to achieve some great OC's, it can be quite difficult to achieve a "Link n Synch" OC with these Boards, not impossible, just a little more "tweaking" of the Southbridge and Memory settings.
What
I have noticed on here (this Forum) is the fact that folks stick to what is comfortable for them and are "opinionated" in that direction....a sign of a great "democratic" Forum..hahahaha! Perhaps I will try an Intel Chipset on my next build, but unless I suffer "catastrophic" failure, as did Enab, I'll likely stick to what I feel most comfortable using...

btw Barbarrossa, thanks for your "support" !

Old October 8, 2008, 02:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

I had been buying Nvidia boards for a long time I was very much into AMD with Nforce chipsets I hated Via and well I still do. I had several of their variations in the early days from the very First Nforce and then Nforce 2 and Nforce 3 250 and Nforce 3 Ultra. Then I switched going along with most of these I had Geforce cards to go along with them....Then came time to get a new computer and AMD had no decent offering that could compete with the Intel Q6600. I also bought into the hype of the ATI 2900XT it was these two things that led me to Intel chipsets. My last expierence was with a P965 which was nice so I dove into the P35 not to shabby solid board good OC then I F&$^# my Bios completely it came time to get a new board which led me to the X38 and holy crap I love it I wont say I would never go back but by far this chip was the best thing I had seen since slided bread.....this worked well with my new love found in ATI.. Anyway all of this is mute because the Nvidia Chipset line is dead Intel has won...in the coming year you will see the last of the Nforce boards and instead Intel chips will support SLI.....Sadly the competition is over on this front.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 8, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Anyway all of this is mute because the Nvidia Chipset line is dead Intel has won...in the coming year you will see the last of the Nforce boards and instead Intel chips will support SLI.....Sadly the competition is over on this front.
You know what, I'll hold you to this quote and check back in 09, we'll see if the Evga Web Site has anything beyond the 790i...

Old October 8, 2008, 03:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
You know what, I'll hold you to this quote and check back in 09, we'll see if the Evga Web Site has anything beyond the 790i...

That's fair....my only sources are shifty online forums which is the worst kind of rumor mill....but somehow I believe this one...I think it was Charlie at Inquirer who I last heard say this but he is always trying to throw some kind of mud on team green so who knows.. I have heard that their may be 1 or 2 gens beyond 790 basically stuff that had already been developed may hit the market but it depends mostly on Nvidia's $$ standing in the coming year...it's always bad to loose any competitor in the computer world in any form...so this is by no means a good thing...at the same time if intel is going to support SLI in the future I would think that Nvidia could support CF if they are going to keep at it.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 8, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'd agree the 680i chipsets were horrible, and the 780i's weren't all that great either. Lots of people didn't have much luck upgrading from 680i to 780i boards. All I can say I did notice the number of memory controller dying on motherboard go down, the 680i were really bad for that.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 8, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep, the last thing we wnat (as consumers) is to have one of thiese "players" monopolize the Market....take a look at how much the GTX 2xx Series Cards went down in price (to respectable values) once ATI introduced their new line-up....really....! I couldn't imagine EVER spending upwards of $700 on a GPU!

Old October 8, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I didnít say 790i was a poor enthusiast board at all. I would buy one myself if I was still testing memory and writing reviews. My point was this:
1) There is a much larger selection of Intel chipset boards to choose from.
2) There are many Intel options that are cheaper and will clock as good or better.

I donít mean any offence - that is just the way I see things. No big deal either way, your mind is obviously made up anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
So, perhaps the Board will fail above this speed...resulting in Eldonkos Post and SSWilsons Post that these Boards are poor enthusiast Boards?.....
Old October 8, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No offence taken..."I'm not the "sensitive" type"..hahahahaha, actually it was sswilson (in another Thread) whom stated that these Boards 780i / 790i are not considered "Enthusiast Boards"...and yes for now, my mind is made up, however, I am flexible to change, if it is justifiable.

Old October 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Mr. Grunts

Just realized that you had a previous Thread on a new Build...which brings me to this

Quote:
I could hack a fair bit of money off of that and still have something as good.

The motherboard you picked is way too expensive, considering the machine only has one graphics card. A P5Q board would more than suffice, methinks.

A Radeon HD4870, though weaker, would still play those games.

you say it's a build that 'wont break the bank' yet is almost two thousand dollars.

A good budget gaming machine would be half that.
Particularly the last line.....as mentioned, this is not a "Budget Gaming Rig"...sorry, don't believe in those, I can get one of those from Best Buy or Future Shop..hahahaha. Besides, I would love to see your $900 Rig (1/2 as stated) up against this one...remember, I've INCLUDED all taxes, shipping and a new 22" monitor!!

Old October 8, 2008, 04:44 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The 680s were HORRIBLE for this for almost 6-7 months maybe longer after they were released and too many fixes for it to be fixed properly.

And yes even the 7 series suffered the same problem but I don't know if it was ever resolved.
Resolved with performance crippling Bios updates.