Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Aaah we should say Mr.Grunt and company all though Intel chipset mobos are better... (since he mentioned it first :P)..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 8, 2008, 10:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
XP has been out for 6+ years. You don't have to buy an OS for every new machine. I have dozens of legit copies laying around.
Yes but assuming everyone has dozens or even any copies laying around is a little silly. You have to assume someone is starting from scratch in the build unless otherwise stated. Plus let's not forget vista anyway I am not trying to sound like a ass I just interpreted your first post about who buys windows wrong...

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It all comes down to brand preference, and the experiences that we all had with the different chipsets / sockets.

I'm a nVidia guy for the GPUs, but had so much bad luck with their chipsets that I won't touch one with a 10 foot pole - I did try a 790i for 2 weeks, an it was plagued with Memory problems.

I'm an Intel guy for the chipsets since trying the 865 wayyy back then, found out how great the board was for oc'ing and how stable it was. I never looked back, and have owned since 965P, 975, G31, P35, X38 and X48 chipset boards.

You may have had success with your board, and you have a chipset preference. Nothing wrong with that.
Old October 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It is not a cult, currenty Intel chipsets are better. Period. Unless you dont care about overclocking, then you might as well buy the cheapest board you can find that has the features you need.
Thats the point....I was told by others the 780i / 790i Nforce Boards were not enthusiast Boards, now, as many of you know, I only learned the tricks of OC'ing (through many of you folks on HW...thanks folks) and as you can see in my Sig, you have all been succesful in teaching me the fine art, with that said, between this Forum and the Evga Forum, running my NForce Board at 1800 FSB has been a breeze. So, perhaps the Board will fail above this speed...resulting in Eldonkos Post and SSWilsons Post that these Boards are poor enthusiast Boards?.....I don't know...I had it running "relatively stable" at 1900 FSB (4.275 GHz), but I simply have one of those E8400's that seem to require more Voltage than many others, so have backed off.
Now, my Gaming Rig, is presently with me, in my cabin on a very large Coast Guard ship, here on the Westcoast (presently up in Hecate Straits / North coast), my point I'm now going to get at, re: the quality of the components, is simply this: While my Rig is set-up here in my cabin, it is subject to some pretty extreme "vibrations" as in windows rattling like hell while our Main Engines are full away, not to mention the pitching and rolling of the ship (quite a large ship - 225 ft overall). The Chief Engineer thinks I'm nuts bringing it out our, but I love my games!
Popint is guys, I have never had so much as a hick-up with this thing. regardless, therefor, if your opinions are opposite mine, keep it "polite" at the very least, I don't think referring to peoples choices in Hardware really requires comments such as "crap"....
Really, I'm an avid gamer whom happens to have a passion for PC and all hardware that is PC related, I certainly wouldn't choose "crap" for my system. Then again, thats my opinion...
As for purchasing Windows XP, honestly, I don't have "copies" laying around, when I build a new System and sell / give away my old Rig, I send the Licensed Software with the Rig, I choose to be honest and legit.
Anyhow, the weather is getting shittier out here (glad I have lots of "securing bungies" on my Rig and perhaps I'll get lucky enough to get on here later on (Satellite Internet Connection is "iffy").
I really do believe that these sort of Threads do educate ourselves though, and of course I knew I would get the odd "negative bash", but for every negative, their has been some positive and interesting feedback...

Cheers

Old October 8, 2008, 01:57 PM
Banned
F@H

Part of the anti-NV thing is that nV requires fans on thier chipsets while INtel doesn't, a sure sign that power consumption is higher on nV. That said, these power requirements are what pose some limits on the chipset, and I too have had my share of nV frustration.

The comparison comes from running all teh same hardware, minus the board, and seeing the nV boards fail where intel's do not. Inferior in overclocking, inferior in power consumption, makes an inferior product.

The fact you put A2 in your sig also shows you are more than aware of the problems that can happen. Some of these issues were present due to nV not allowing OEM's to vary from the reference design.

Currently though, NV chipsets do seem to scale ram much higher than Intel chipsets, so I suppose they have thier place in the world...
Old October 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Only reason why nv chipsets have better or possibly better memory handling is because you can run it unlinked to the fsb unlike intel chipsets.
Old October 8, 2008, 02:01 PM
Banned
F@H

That's not a small thing, to me, though. Syncing data between FSB and membus when membus is async is not an easy thing to do reliably. I'm sure part of the extra power requirement is becuase of this extra functionality.
Old October 8, 2008, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
That's not a small thing, to me, though. Syncing data between FSB and membus when membus is async is not an easy thing to do reliably. I'm sure part of the extra power requirement is becuase of this extra functionality.
its the power and heat required by a nv chipset that cause so many 680i boards to fail and why people like myself will NEVER touch another nv chipset because when you loose a stick of ram and a board its a costly repair.

So I rma'd the memory and bought a intel chipset and guess what... never been happier.

The amount your going to push a nv you could easily do on a intel unless you are a EXTREME clocker using something like dice or ln2.
Old October 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

There is plenty of talk around the web about the 680/780 chipsets causing data corruption. That was enough to steer me clear of them.
Old October 8, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
There is plenty of talk around the web about the 680/780 chipsets causing data corruption. That was enough to steer me clear of them.
The 680s were HORRIBLE for this for almost 6-7 months maybe longer after they were released and too many fixes for it to be fixed properly.

And yes even the 7 series suffered the same problem but I don't know if it was ever resolved.