Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 11:56 PM
Rookie

Default Building cheap server...

I'm building a cheap server to run Linux (Debian), what I will be running on it:

Development (learning more Linux commands)
Torrents (legal)
Small HTTP/FTP servers
Maybe some other stuff, not too sure... (what do you guys run on your linux servers?)

Please make any suggestions on what I should get, my budget is $300...

Case & PSU: Newegg.ca - Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply with 20+4 pin connector - Computer Cases
Motherboard: Newegg.ca - ECS 945GCT-M/1333 (V3.0) LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
CPU: Newegg.ca - Intel Celeron E1200 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
RAM: Newegg.ca - CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
HDD: Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar SE WD800AAJS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
= $201
$24 tax
$39 ship ()

I'd rather not order from NCIX as two orders would be a pain in the ass, but in the end if its cheaper, I will do it.

So..any suggestions people?

EDIT: Forgot to note that I can switch the CPU & motherboard for a AMD setup, for only a few bucks more but the CPU had less benchmark rating according to CPUBenchmark...

CPU: Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
HSF (CPU is OEM): Newegg.ca - Rosewill RCX-Z80-AL 80mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Mobo: Newegg.ca - ASRock ALiveNF6P-VSTA AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE / nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Last edited by Jello; October 7, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old October 7, 2008, 12:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are just doing very light stuff and do not need powerful CPU or GFX hardware why not take a look at those tiny little low power Atom boards intel has? They are good for extremely low budgets.

*Edit
Ok, nevermind I guess. The combo deal on that mobo and CPU looks pretty decent.

*Edit
Is it just me or does newegg not stock Intel's cute little Atom boards? *shrug*

Last edited by MacJunky; October 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old October 7, 2008, 01:48 AM
Rookie

I don't believe they have the Atom boards in stock.

I see you have a E1200 overclocked with that nice $25 HSF (which what I have in my current rig now). Do you think I could overclock the E1200 to 2.0GHz on stock HSF or would I need a different HSF (such as the Freezer 7 Pro)?

Also, I don't believe there are Atom dual cores, I recently had a older P3 1GHz running my Linux server with 512MB RAM but that doesn't cut it anymore.
Old October 7, 2008, 02:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are dual core Atoms now. -> NCIX.com - Buy Intel BOXD945GCLF2 MINI-ITX DDR2 945GC Dual Core Atom 1PCI Motherboard Retail - BOXD945GCLF2 In Canada.
They really need at least two more SATA ports in my opinion. With s-video and gigabit ethernet I could see this being a useful little board in some situations despite not having pci-e.

I do not know about the stock E1200 HSF, I have never used mine and it was never removed from the packaging(in fact I even managed to extract the CPU without separating both halves of the plastic the HSF comes in.)
One of the other members here once played with his E1200 and stock HSF a while back though.

*Edit
I might be wrong about someone testing teh stock cooler, it might have been a different forum. I am looking to verify.

Last edited by MacJunky; October 7, 2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old October 7, 2008, 02:28 AM
Rookie

Mini-ITX, crazy. I'd have to completely redo my whole setup though just to get a dual core atom setup, so no thanks. :( Thanks for finding that though.

I'll have to find the link for the guy who played with E1200 stock HSF. :)

Old October 7, 2008, 05:32 AM
Allstar

OMG wtf, you obviously still are learning, no, not you, YOU!. A P2 clas is more than sufficient to get a linux server up and running and doing things with. If your buying, your squandering. WHAT IS IT DOING? ops caps LoL. Anyhoo, prolly wont be doing much really fast anyhoo. Sides, linux aint where the power is for teh free stuff. What you want is FreeBSD, OpenBSD. Check em out. ALL of you:P
Old October 7, 2008, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I would say a PIII over PII at a minimum because he lists "Development". If that means what I think it means then he might well be compiling things. Compiling things on a PII might not be all that fun. /me tosses a dirty look at his ASUS P2B w/ PII set at 533Mhz.
Anyway, having a newer CPU(though not high end) opens the doors for expansion of activities to include more CPU intensive things.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'd vote for the atom board as well. cheap, powerful enough, and perfect for linux.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old October 7, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As neat as the Atom board is if you really want to use an E1200 then that is fine.
I do not want people to think that I am saying the Atom board is better... Both have their time and place and it is up to you to determine what would be best. I was only intending to help broaden your potential options.
Old October 7, 2008, 01:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
OMG wtf, you obviously still are learning, no, not you, YOU!. A P2 clas is more than sufficient to get a linux server up and running and doing things with. If your buying, your squandering. WHAT IS IT DOING? ops caps LoL. Anyhoo, prolly wont be doing much really fast anyhoo. Sides, linux aint where the power is for teh free stuff. What you want is FreeBSD, OpenBSD. Check em out. ALL of you:P
Haha, I had a P3 and it didn't work for what I need it to, and the reason I'm getting a Celeron Dual Core is because its a cheap dual core and it should be able to handle what I need it to do now, and when I know alot more Linux. :)

Quote:
Anyway, having a newer CPU(though not high end) opens the doors for expansion of activities to include more CPU intensive things.
^ Exactly what I just said.

---

I'm going to stay away from Atom boards for now since I'd have to redo my whole configuration, its just too small, and I'm not to sure how much mini-itx cases are.