Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 02:17 PM
Rookie

Default First New Rig in Years (or "Oh God, WTF is going on?")

My computer just died. Like, dead, dead, won't even start dead. I was buying a new one soon anyway, so I guess "soon" has simply become "NOW".

Anyway, I have no ******* idea what to look for. I don't keep abreast of technology stuff usually and I built my last computer in 2002. So, I could really use some advice here. There's other threads, but I'm looking for some advice that assumes I know NOTHING, because my knowledge of what's the best these days is ... non-existent.

A few points:

-It's for gaming.

- I don't mind dropping a good chunk of cash on this. I usually buy something just below the "Blots out the sun with how awesome it is, but will cost you your first born" level. I don't mind splurging on a good video card or the like, but I'm not looking to drop $5K on this system. I guess around $2k would be my budget? But I'm willing to be flexible if paying extra will net me an increase in performance and lifetime on the parts.

- like I said above, I'm looking for something that will last awhile. Futureproof as much as such things are possible.

- Generally, I pick Video Card => Processor => RAM => Motherboard => the rest. (This still the way to go about it?)

- Also, I'm a Canuck. If anyone knows a good place in the Toronto area/online to buy from, I would really appreciate it.

- Quiet, if possible, would be nice.

- I've got a sound card I'm carrying over, along with KB/Mouse/Monitor/etc. I just need the case stuff. Video card, Motherboard, processor, RAM, Hard-drive. new case.

- No real interest in overclocking.

The Questions:

1) Video Card: What should I be looking at? I heard some stuff about the Ati 4870 x2. Is it worth it? Are their issues? 1 Gig or 512mb? And what's a good manufacturer/Specific card?

2) Quad Core or Dual Core? Which chip? I haven't the faintest clue on this, so any help would be nice. I've heard Intel is the best one right now, but that may be old info.

3) RAM, what type and what speed? Considering the price and so on, I was gonna get 4 Gigs. (In 2 2Gig sticks is best, right?)

4) Motherboard: No ******* clue here. Recommend away.

5) Appropriate Power Supply? And a good hard drive recommendation too.

6) Case. I had one of those quiet Antec ones, which I quite liked. Any recommendations on a good case?

7) And finally, anything I need to know about cooling?

Thanks for all the help!

Also, if you know anywhere else to go look stuff up or ask for advice, I'm open to suggestions.
Old October 6, 2008, 02:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

First, Welcome to the Forums. Second, you do know something, since you built your last rig 6 years ago. Didn't keep upto date on the latest components? No big deal.

Future proof? You can be future proof for the next 3 months or so, in this computing world... but I assume you want to keep your rig 4,5 years again. So: DDR3, X2 GPU, Quad.

Board: Asus P5E3 Premium X48
CPU: Intel Q9550
Ram: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2x 2Gb, PC3-1333
HSF: OCZ Vendetta II
PSU: Corsair VX750W
GPU: Ati 4870X2, any vendor.
HDD1: Western Digital 640Mb for software
HDD2: Seagate 7200.11 1Tb for storage
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S

That should be it.
Old October 6, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

^^ Hey now, don't you think future proof would also mean a 1000w power supply :P

Now that's what I call a future proof hell of a rig!!..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 6, 2008, 02:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Actually the VX750W could be on the low side, if he ever decides to go for dual 4870X2s.
Old October 6, 2008, 02:41 PM
Allstar

I think you have some reading ahead of you ...

Ask specific questions in separate posts, you will get more help that way.

If all this seems to be a big waste of time, you may want to consider getting one built for you.
Old October 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is the same thought I had in mind, get the 1KW for the hek of it, in case he decided to throw in one more of those suckers (but then for that, he'd need a pretty big monitor), and if he's just using anything below 30", Crossfire is a waste of money...

But really that is a very nice rig.. John man what makes you pick the Seagate 1TB over any other manufacturer? just out of curiosity!!
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 6, 2008, 02:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The 7200.11? It's the one I had in mind... actually, Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital: they're all the same to me.
Old October 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
First, Welcome to the Forums. Second, you do know something, since you built your last rig 6 years ago. Didn't keep upto date on the latest components? No big deal.

Future proof? You can be future proof for the next 3 months or so, in this computing world... but I assume you want to keep your rig 4,5 years again. So: DDR3, X2 GPU, Quad.

Board: Asus P5E3 Premium X48
CPU: Intel Q9550
Ram: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2x 2Gb, PC3-1333
HSF: OCZ Vendetta II
PSU: Corsair VX750W
GPU: Ati 4870X2, any vendor.
HDD1: Western Digital 640Mb for software
HDD2: Seagate 7200.11 1Tb for storage
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S

That should be it.
How much would that end up costing me (minus the OS)?

Would that board support Crossfire of the 4870x2 in the future?

And what's an HSF?

Thanks for the help btw.
Old October 6, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I believe he said he doesn't plan on OC'ing his CPU, therefore no Aftermarket CPU Cooler (HSF) required. If it helps you out, here's a great Rig (personally I'd stay away from the thought of worrying about XFire with the ATI 4870x2, as it will likely go the way of the Quad SLI 9800GX2...too much heat / noise and better solutions out thier. I'm sure I'll get "hammered" by all the Pro Inel MOBO and ATI folks, but I really have to stick up for what I believe is a greta gaming Rig and components which I have had a lot odf pleasure using. Firstly, if you plan on Gaming with your Rig on a 22" monitor, the components are as follows (and will allow for the optional 2nd Video Card later, if you choose to go with a 24" 1920 x 1200 Res:
1. E8400 CPU (you can get away with OC'ing fairly substantially without a HSF, up to approx. 3.6 Ghz)
2. Evga 750i Mobo (capable of 2 way SLI if you choose that route later on)
3. Evga GTX 260 Core 216 GPU (2nd Card later on if you choose to go with a 24" or larger monitor later on)
4. Corsair 1000W PSU (better to give yourself adequate headroom in case you go wwith 2nd Graphics Card) - PC Power and Cooling 750W if you plan on sticking to single Graphics Card.
5. 2 x 2GB (4GB) Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC8500 1066 Mhz RAM (if you go XP 32 bit, no big deal to use it, if you go Vista 64 bit, you'll be glad you have it)
6. 350 - 500 GB HDD (really, how much space did you use up on your old Rig?)
7. 1 DVD Reader and 1 DVD Burner (I like alternating between 2, they're really really cheap)
8. Decent Case providing adequate Air Flow and large enough to house your Graphics Card, perhaps the Antec 1200.
Thats it, this Rig wil provide you with great gaming and very reasonable cost, without headache ....guarenteed!! Cost will be very reasonable and if your not comfortable building it yourself, take all the componenets to a reputable store and have them build it. likey a couple of hours tops (including OS installation and some benching).

Hope this helps you out.
Have fun with it!

Old October 6, 2008, 03:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If the main goal is future proofing, I really think a quad is the way to go. It doesn't currently get used to it's full extent, but if you want to keep your rig for 3 - 4 years keep in mind that 3 years ago we were having the same discussion about single core vrs dual core.

No "hammering" involved rjbarker, but most of us would suggest that an intel chipset is currently the way to go. It's been a while since Nvidia put out an enthusiast motherboard chipset that has made me think otherwise. I am however on the fence when it comes to vid cards. If performance is the key.... I'm still not convinced that dual GPU cards are the way to go, so I might be inclined to suggest spending the big bucks on a 280 for performance and a fairly long lifespan.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP