Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Correct, BUTTTT Point was he was asking if a quad core would run WORSE than a dual core, and I answered the question correctly. In the case, IF an application calls for it thou, having a dual core vs a quad core, well its a no brainer, quad core will be faster, otherwise they will be the same. My point did not change, nor was it wrong, all you did was twist my words.
Quad is NOT faster than a dual and never will be UNLESS an app calls for it.

No it will not run better, worse, or more efficient it will run exactly the same.

Hence why right now and for who knows how long a dual core overclocked is faster than a quad.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:27 PM
Rookie

Can we argue this elsewhere?
Old October 6, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shryke View Post
Can we argue this elsewhere?
This is what happens EVERYTIME someone does this.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Goddamn that 1000w one is expensive. Do I really need one that big right now? Or can I replace it later if I do upgrade to a second 4870x2 or something. Will 650W or 750W do for the system as it is now?
NO.....you don't really need to spend that kind of coin for a PSU, IF you're soul is not taken by the ATI X2 cult...hahahahahhaa, kidding guys! Lets say you were to ditch the whole ATI X2 in favour of a GTX 260 (216 Core), you could get yourself a nice new PC Power and Cooling 750W PSU which will only cost you around $130...then in the future, you can slap another GTX 260 (216) in SLI and your good old 750W will be just fine...
As for performance...I can guarentee you that the performance you get out of those two Cards will be adequate for a few years to come!!

Old October 6, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah....you're ambitious opinions get the better of you..as when you were referring to my Evga nForce 780i Board as "being crap" the other day....hahahahahaha

Old October 7, 2008, 01:53 AM
Rookie

Ok, I've just got a few questions left. My current setup I'm going to order:

CPU: Q9550
Video:
4870 x2 What's a good manufacturer? Does it even matter? And should I go for the one with the highest core clock speed? Some say 750MHz, some 800MHz.
Motherboard:
Asus P5e3 x48 Is that Rampage one just for overclocking or something? I keep seeing it around when I'm looking up this Asus one.
RAM:
2x2GB DDR3 1333 Any suggestions on manufacturer? Does it matter? If not, I'll just go with the cheapest. I saw some from OCZ at a good price.
HDD:
Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM

Case/PSU: Ok, here's where I'm lost. I need a case. I don't really need anything fancy. I don't give a shit what it looks like really. Just needs to provide adequate cooling, be not-annoying to fiddle around inside and the quieter the better. Suggestions?

Also, what level of power supply do you guys figure I'll need right now? 650w? 750w? Any suggestions/warnings on manufacturers?
Old October 7, 2008, 05:08 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I won't even reply to your comment.

OP, some answers:

GPU manufacturer: Visiontek.
Board: the Rampage is the Republic Of Gamers' version of the P5E3, with a BIOS better fitted for overclockers. The P5E3 is the board a recommend.
Ram: OCZ make some good ram, Corsair has a good kit too with the one I linked.
Case: personal preference in regards to style and size. Noise is more related to the fans actually. I would recommend any offereing for either Lian-Li or Silverstone, just like this one: NCIX.com - Buy LIAN-LI PC-V1010B Black Aluminum ATX Super Mid Tower Case 5X5.25 0X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS USB 1394 Audio - PC-V1010B In Canada.
PSU: It depends if you wish to ever add a second GPU. If you stick with the 4870X2, then the Corsair VX750W is fine. If you wish to go for Crossfire, then the HW1000W is a must.

Regarding the GPU, someone mentionned the nVidia offering (GTX260, 216 Core) and upgrading for a second in SLI - be careful if you do so, since the board you are looking at (the Asus P5E3 Premium) is Crossfire (Ati) compatible, not SLI (nVidia) compatible.
Old October 7, 2008, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hmm.. do I smell a Lian Li somewhere... ahaa its Charlie lol... That Case that Charlie linked, it is really a very good case.

But Charlie, if he's spending that much on a case, why not get the Tagan Black Pearl, after it is a Lian Li just rebranded, and its quite bigger, just like a Lian Li V2000.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
Rookie

Alright, it's all put together. End result:

CPU: Q9550
Video:
Diamond Radeon HD 4870 X2
Motherboard:
Asus P5E3 Premium X48HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM
Case: Coolmaster Centurion 590 ATX
PSU: Corsair TX750W
HSF: OCZ Vendetta 2 (I want Vendetta 2 not 1, right? Does it matter? And I do need the extra cooling, correct?)

And finally, RAM:

OCZ Platinum OCZ3P13334GK 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 7-7-7-20 Dual Channel Memory Kit

vs

Patriot Viper Extreme Performance 4GB DDR3 2X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 CL 7-7-7-20 Memory Kit

(No clue who to go with here. Or should I pay more for Mushkin or Corsair or whatever?)
(I couldn't find any of the Mushkin or Corsair at the sites I was shopping at and that means paying for shipping from ANOTHER site. But if it's worth it, I'll do it)

Look good? Any problems?
Old October 7, 2008, 05:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, OCZ Vendetta II.

Why change the ram from the Mushkin brand?