Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

do as you please. think as you want.

its why topics like this never end up with a solution.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:14 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

do as you please. think as you want.

its why topics like this never end up with a solution.
But there is a solution, and the OP will decide on his own which parts to order. That is the end result. We're here to help other members take a solid, sound decision.

What you don't accept is my own opinion (shared by others) and you should, just like I accept your points and concerns (also shared by others).

Now having opposite opinions actually helps the OP. You should understand that.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yup a Quad will sure last longer than dual cores. For some reason I got a gut feeling that Intel will stop making dual cores and make more affordable quad cores in the years coming.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 6, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Yup a Quad will sure last longer than dual cores. For some reason I got a gut feeling that Intel will stop making dual cores and make more affordable quad cores in the years coming.
You do realize for the last 3 years people have been saying quads are the future and we still haven't even scraped the surface for properly using dual cores right?
Old October 6, 2008, 09:30 PM
Rookie

Case:

How important is case here? Will this system (as 3.0charlie described) need the extra cooling provided? I'd kinda like one that makes everything as quiet as possible, so as not to piss off my GF. I had one of those Antec Sonata ones till now. Do these fancier cases come with the rubber cushions for the hard-drives and so on? Or will a quiet case like that just not provide enough cooling.

Power Supply:

Goddamn that 1000w one is expensive. Do I really need one that big right now? Or can I replace it later if I do upgrade to a second 4870x2 or something. Will 650W or 750W do for the system as it is now?

Quote:
Future Proof in this case is not having the latest hardware, but be able to run the software 5 years down the road from now with today's hardware.
Dead on. I don't care if it's on minimum specs, I just care that it still runs shit 5 years from now.

(For my old system, Bioshock was the first game I ever encountered that my system could just straight up not play, period.)

And finally, will having a Quad Core make anything run WORSE, or is it just a matter or the Quad Core not being used to it's full potential.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by shryke View Post
Case:

How important is case here? Will this system (as 3.0charlie described) need the extra cooling provided? I'd kinda like one that makes everything as quiet as possible, so as not to piss off my GF. I had one of those Antec Sonata ones till now. Do these fancier cases come with the rubber cushions for the hard-drives and so on? Or will a quiet case like that just not provide enough cooling.

Power Supply:

Goddamn that 1000w one is expensive. Do I really need one that big right now? Or can I replace it later if I do upgrade to a second 4870x2 or something. Will 650W or 750W do for the system as it is now?

Dead on. I don't care if it's on minimum specs, I just care that it still runs shit 5 years from now.

(For my old system, Bioshock was the first game I ever encountered that my system could just straight up not play, period.)

And finally, will having a Quad Core make anything run WORSE, or is it just a matter or the Quad Core not being used to it's full potential.
No, a quad core will not make anything worse, its more a qusetion of if you will use it to its full potential today(keep in mind I'm one of the guys saying you SHOULD get a quad core, as in the future who knows AND who knows if you decided encoding or things that do use quad core is for you down the road). That being said if you decide to OC, you might only get a 3.8GHz Quad Core stable vs 4.2GHz Dual Core stable. In the end thou no, nothing runs worse on a quad core, it can only run better (when same clock speeds compaired to a dual core of the same make)
Old October 6, 2008, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
No, a quad core will not make anything worse, its more a qusetion of if you will use it to its full potential today(keep in mind I'm one of the guys saying you SHOULD get a quad core, as in the future who knows AND who knows if you decided encoding or things that do use quad core is for you down the road). That being said if you decide to OC, you might only get a 3.8GHz Quad Core stable vs 4.2GHz Dual Core stable. In the end thou no, nothing runs worse on a quad core, it can only run better (when same clock speeds compaired to a dual core of the same make)
A quad will only run better if the application calls for it.. otherwise its not going to be any better than a dual.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
You do realize for the last 3 years people have been saying quads are the future and we still haven't even scraped the surface for properly using dual cores right?
I don't need to, because they are apps and games that are releasing everyday that utilize the power of quad cores... And the last 3 years were past, we are talking about Future,,,
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 6, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I don't need to, because they are apps and games that are releasing everyday that utilize the power of quad cores... And the last 3 years were past, we are talking about Future,,,
There are only a very few handful of games and apps that the "normal consumer" will use in a day to day environment.

Majority of software that people would consider using day to day is STILL only using 1 MAYBE 2 cores.
Old October 6, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
A quad will only run better if the application calls for it.. otherwise its not going to be any better than a dual.
Correct, BUTTTT Point was he was asking if a quad core would run WORSE than a dual core, and I answered the question correctly. In the case, IF an application calls for it thou, having a dual core vs a quad core, well its a no brainer, quad core will be faster, otherwise they will be the same. My point did not change, nor was it wrong, all you did was twist my words.