Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I understand that there really isn't a such thing as future proofing. The point that I'm trying to get across is he probably doesn't want to be upgrading parts are few months down the road. We shouldn't turn this into a Quad Core vs Dual Core debate.
In the end it's up to the OP as to what he wants get. It's good that we can offer points of the validity of both dual and quad core processors as we need to be a sounding board for new members who are coming here seeking help.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 6, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
I understand that there really isn't a such thing as future proofing. The point that I'm trying to get across is he probably doesn't want to be upgrading parts are few months down the road. We shouldn't turn this into a Quad Core vs Dual Core debate.
In the end it's up to the OP as to what he wants get. It's good that we can offer points of the validity of both dual and quad core processors as we need to be a sound board for new members who are come here seeking help.
I know its upto what the OP wants but if you think you'll need to upgrade a e8400 down the road in 6 months or even a year your sadly mistaken.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I don't think nor did I say he'll need to upgrade an E8400 in 6 months to a year. Hell I used an AMD Athlon 3000 Barton for 3 years before I upgraded, so I know how long a processor can last. What I'm saying is would it not be best to maybe recommend a Quad Core in case in the future 2-3 years down the road he decides that we wants to do more with the computer than just gaming. I think it's always better to have a bit more than less. Even though the games he is playing won't use all 4 cores, at least he'll have them when that times comes or if he decides to use software that does take advantage of all four cores. It's like having car insurance. Sure you may never get into an accident and don't think you'll ever need it, but you never know. That's the point we can both agree on, know one knows what the future holds.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 6, 2008, 05:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Ain't it the truth!!!!! I completely agree, as for your Quad Core, by the time you get any real gains out of it vs a Dual Core (in gaming), we'll all be looking at something different all together!
I really was waiting for someone to dive in at some point and snub the "Future Proofing" comment..!
In the PC world, their really is "only now...with a small 2 month window on either side"
This was my comment:

Quote:
Future proof? You can be future proof for the next 3 months or so, in this computing world... but I assume you want to keep your rig 4,5 years again. So: DDR3, X2 GPU, Quad.
And I stick by it. By going for a Quad right now, the OP gives himself the better chance of having a chip that still runs the software in 5 years.

Future Proof in this case is not having the latest hardware, but be able to run the software 5 years down the road from now with today's hardware.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
This was my comment:

And I stick by it. By going for a Quad right now, the OP gives himself the better chance of having a chip that still runs the software in 5 years.

Future Proof in this case is not having the latest hardware, but be able to run the software 5 years down the road from now with today's hardware.
But how do you know what software requirements will be in 5 years? You don't.

In 5 years software requirements could be greater than 3 quads of todays date.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Exactly. I don't, neither do you.

I would give myself the better chance. Hence the Quad, the DDR3 and the 4870X2, knowing that I do not want to upgrade in 1 year.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That's right we don't know, but we do know this if software development follows hardware development and hardware development follows software development at some point from now till that 3, 4 or 5 year mark, there will be software that will use all four cores. Better to get it now than later. Say in 3 years down the road it's like you said the software development is leaps and bounds beyond what current technology has to offer than he will be forced to upgrade. But it's better to do fewer upgrades than more upgardes.

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 6, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Exactly. I don't, neither do you.

I would give myself the better chance. Hence the Quad, the DDR3 and the 4870X2, knowing that I do not want to upgrade in 1 year.
I concur.

The point I am and I'm sure John is trying to get across is not everyone can afford to be constantly upgrading. It's better to get more now than having to get it later on. The Quad does give him a better a change because we do know at some point between now and 3 years down the road the software will be there that will utilize the Quad Core.

You can't say that this is not the case because look at the past with the how software and hardware have both pushed in the development of each other.

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 6, 2008, 05:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Go with what 3.0charlie specs were, heck the guy had a system for 5 or 6yrs so whats that a PIII 1.3GHz or a P4 1.7GHz, and look what we are running for software now.
So if he gets a Quad it will do him fine for 3 to 5 yrs, hardware and software always changes, just the way it is.
Old October 6, 2008, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I agree with Balistx and 3.0charlie amd yycraven, if you want a system to keep for 2-3 years, it does not matter if all he does is game now. What if he becomes intrested in encoding? encoding scales almost linerally (2 cores- double the speed of 1 core, and 4 cores it double the speed of 2 cores, almost :) ) for example. Were not talking simply "games" but what if he changes how he uses his pc 6 months down the road? With a quad core hes set for a lonh while regardless of what he wants