Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Been looking at the Intel Q9550 CPU and I'm hearing stuff about over-heating. Will air cooling be fine? Cause I don't REALLY wanna have to get some other sort of crazy cooling system.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A 280 is what I have, from my "experience" with my 260, I'd highly recomend 260 (Core 216) SLI. I could get away with my 750W PSU, but very little headroom and no point in having to deal with PSU issues, therefor the 1kW recomended.
As for Quad Fire...folks with Quad SLI 9800 GX2's are beating thier heads against the wall now that the superior GTX 2 Series are available. The heat associated with those Cards alone is enough for me to scrap that idea. The GTX 260's run extremely cool in relation to shear Horse Power...reallly is amazing.
I have not found very many nForce Chipset folks on here at all, all I know is when I purchased my 780i Evga Board almost a year ago, I knew absolutley nothing about OC'ing my CPU, within days I had my E8400 running at 4.05 Ghz and have never looked back. An enthusiast Board....?......not quite sure what the 780i or 790i lack? OC'ing the CPU is a breeze as is the Memory..linked, unlinked...change Multipliers..whatever it takes I can do.
Wonder how many Intel folks have given the nForce Chipset a try since the newer Boards (post 680i) came on scene?
Anyhow, to each his own, sometimes we tend to only stick to what we know or feel comfortable with...

Old October 6, 2008, 05:22 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If the main goal is future proofing, I really think a quad is the way to go. It doesn't currently get used to it's full extent, but if you want to keep your rig for 3 - 4 years keep in mind that 3 years ago we were having the same discussion about single core vrs dual core.

No "hammering" involved rjbarker, but most of us would suggest that an intel chipset is currently the way to go. It's been a while since Nvidia put out an enthusiast motherboard chipset that has made me think otherwise. I am however on the fence when it comes to vid cards. If performance is the key.... I'm still not convinced that dual GPU cards are the way to go, so I might be inclined to suggest spending the big bucks on a 280 for performance and a fairly long lifespan.
Future proof is definitely the word to remember here. I concur with Steve, and it's basically a toss-up in regards to the GPU: the 4870X2 vs. 280GTX.

I can vouch for the 280GTX. It's a monster of a card, and could last for a very long time.

As for the OP's concern regarding the Q9550 high temps, I wouldn't loose any sleep over that. Simply use an aftermarket HeatSink Fan, like the OCZ Vendetta II and forget about it.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
First, Welcome to the Forums. Second, you do know something, since you built your last rig 6 years ago. Didn't keep upto date on the latest components? No big deal.

Future proof? You can be future proof for the next 3 months or so, in this computing world... but I assume you want to keep your rig 4,5 years again. So: DDR3, X2 GPU, Quad.

Board: Asus P5E3 Premium X48
CPU: Intel Q9550
Ram: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2x 2Gb, PC3-1333
HSF: OCZ Vendetta II
PSU: Corsair VX750W
GPU: Ati 4870X2, any vendor.
HDD1: Western Digital 640Mb for software
HDD2: Seagate 7200.11 1Tb for storage
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S

That should be it.
/end thread

Serously this is a great lay out, and while I would *personally* root for the HD4870X2, if you decide to go nVidia, the 280GTX is a great card as well (that being said if you go nVidia I highly recommend eVga, and on the ATi side, VisionTek, for vendors as they seem to take care of their customers the best out of all of them). Ièd aslo get a HX1000Winstead just in case he wants to go CrossfireX in the future.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Board: Gigabyte P45
CPU: Intel e8400
Ram: Any Mushkin memory
HSF: OCZ Vendetta II
PSU: Corsair VX750W
GPU: Ati 4870X2, any vendor.
HDD1: Western Digital 640Mb for software
HDD2: Seagate 7200.11 1Tb for storage
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S

There is NO future proofing with computer electronics so PLEASE keep that in mind.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Some questions about Motherboards:

Asus is good right? This is the part that's really confusing me as I have NO idea what most of the numbers and such after these boards mean.

Is this:Newegg.ca - ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP @n LGA 775 DDR3 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards a good one then? I'm also seeing similar ones labelled "Rampage" and have no idea if that's good or bad or ... what.

Quote:
There is NO future proofing with computer electronics so PLEASE keep that in mind.
Hehe, I think we ALL know this.

Quote:
As for the OP's concern regarding the Q9550 high temps, I wouldn't loose any sleep over that. Simply use an aftermarket HeatSink Fan, like the OCZ Vendetta II and forget about it.
Ahh, thank you my good man.

This would be the unit in question? OCZ Vendetta 2 Triple Heatpipe CPU Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S939 S940 S754 120MM Fan 800-1500RPM 20-32DBA - DirectCanada
Old October 6, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

We all know how fast technology changes but you have to keep in mind the OP wants something that's going to last him years so he doesn't have to spend money upgrading 3-6 months down the road. Not everyone has money to be constantly upgrading their parts and would rather spend more in the beginning on parts that will still be viable a year or two down the road.

Yes game developers do like to develop games that will push the current technology and yes there are not a lot of games that use multi-threading but that does not mean more games in the future will not. Regarding the video card I would also recommend either a ATI HD 4870x2 or a NVIDIA 280 GTX.
I also concur with the 1K PSU specifically the Corsair 1000W incase he does want to get 2nd video card to either run in Crossfire or SLI.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old October 6, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
We all know how fast technology changes but you have to keep in mind the OP wants something that's going to last him years so he doesn't have to spend money upgrading 3-6 months down the road. Not everyone has money to be constantly upgrading their parts and would rather spend more in the beginning on parts that will still be viable a year or two down the road.

Yes game developers do like to develop games that will push the current technology and yes there are not a lot of games that use multi-threading but that does not mean more games in the future will not. Regarding the video card I would also recommend either a ATI HD 4870x2 or a NVIDIA 280 GTX.
I also concur with the 1K PSU specifically the Corsair 1000W incase he does want to get 2nd video card to either run in Crossfire or SLI.
A e8400 will last him years.

Things are becoming more and more gpu bound that cpu bound.

And many things are using the gpu more than the cpu.

Take the e6600 from yesteryears... its STILL a great cpu and still can play most recent games VERY well and that chip is over 3 yrs old.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Ain't it the truth!!!!! I completely agree, as for your Quad Core, by the time you get any real gains out of it vs a Dual Core (in gaming), we'll all be looking at something different all together!
I really was waiting for someone to dive in at some point and snub the "Future Proofing" comment..!
In the PC world, their really is "only now...with a small 2 month window on either side"

Old October 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Ain't it the truth!!!!! I completely agree, as for your Quad Core, by the time you get any real gains out of it vs a Dual Core (in gaming), we'll all be looking at something different all together!
I really was waiting for someone to dive in at some point and snub the "Future Proofing" comment..!
In the PC world, their really is "only now...with a small 2 month window on either side"
Its not that I "snub" it but you really don't know whats going to happen in this industry in 6 months down the road.

Nehalem is coming out then what?