Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2008, 02:24 AM
Rookie

Default New PC Build, Need Some Advice

Hi all, first post obviously, i thought i would sign up to ask for a bit of advice with a build.

I plan to make this order next week and have around a $1500 Budget.

I don't need a monitor as i plan to just use my 19" LCD tv at 1280x768 res. Im in the US and plan to order from newegg. This pc will be used mainly for gaming.

I dont overclock much... not so much that i dont like to or that im afraid too, its just usually if it dose what i want it too then i dont mess with it.

Heres my general idea so far.

CASE: ANTEC 1200

Im going with this as its on-sale for a really great price and i love full tower cases. Dont know if i would even consider a mid tower. Just like this case too much.

Motherboard

Im going with a intel chipset despite the fact i have a nvidia gpu mainly because i keep hearing bad things about the 7XXi series. I dont plan to ever go SLI anyways. Im going with a cheaper P45 as i dont think i will need a ton of options as far as overclocking and the such. Also the fact i wont use the crossfire makes the x48 kinda pointless and overpriced for my build.

PSU

Getting the Corsair 750, sure its overkill but the price is right and will be a nice future proof psu excluding sli and crossfire setups.

GPU

My plans are to go with the GTX 280... I know its complete overkill for my current monitor but i really like the card and it fits my budget nice. Im by no means a nvidia fanboy, but i really dont like ati drivers and i always had better luck with nvidia gpus anyways. Lifetime warrenty is priceless also. Might buy a better display next year.

CPU

Gonna go with the E8500... I know i know... its basically the same chip as a E8400 but consideing i may not mess with overclicking for awhile the extra 20 bucks for the initial speed boost is worth it imo. I dont see no point in getting a quad as most benchmarks seem to say that C2D's are still on top for gaming.

Not to mention theres a combo deal that takes 35 bucks off with the motherboard and cpu together.

RAM

Fairly simple choice here... went with the reapers as i hear lots of good things about em.

Hard Drive

640 gigs... not much to say....

Disk Drive

Yep... It reads disks... Might get 2 of em for copying disk to disk.

OS

Getting windos 64bit obviously to take advantage of my ram. I realize that the oem disk is tied to the mobo but i dont see the point in getting the retail version when windos 7 is supposed to come out next summer and i dont see me getting a new board for over a year.

Cpu Cooler

One thing i have no idea on... the one linked above is what i had in mind but im really not sure. I do i want somthing with the mounting bracket though as i hate push-pins.
Getting THIS thermal paste to go with the cooler.

I will buy a decent sound card in a month or so... Im mainly a headphones kinda guy anyways but will get something better down the road.

Think thats all besides a few odds and ends. The total will all the bundles and the promo-code comes to just under $1400 with shiping, and under $1300 after all the mail in rebates, but i dont hold my breath on them as they can be flakey and take forever.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by dudy80; October 4, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect

No offence buddy but put all links togther in a tight list as above, interjecting preamble detracts on advice you may get. Good summary of links will give you more, like jdrom has done.
Old October 4, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice looking parts list. Don't forget to post a build log and btw welcome to HWC. What part of the States are u from?

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 4, 2008, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
Nice looking parts list. Don't forget to post a build log and btw welcome to HWC. What part of the States are u from?

Pennsylvania
Old October 5, 2008, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Sorry for the double post but i been re-thinking a few things and im not really sure on if i want the 280 or not... I see benches that have the new 4870 1 gig at around the same performance for over 100 bucks less. Im not too sure about ati's drivers but i dont really know. Any advice? I was thinking i could take the money i saved and put it twords a better board.
Old October 5, 2008, 05:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think you want a sata dvd writer/reader. Everything else looks awesome :D
Old October 5, 2008, 06:14 PM
Top Prospect

If I understand it correctly the 280GTX will beat a 4870 in many games and apps (benches) but get shown up by the 4870x2. You will get 4870 for as low as ~$230CAD compared to the $440 you posted. There are lots of reviews on 4870 and 4870x2:

Palit HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition Review Comment Thread

Palit Radeon HD 4870 512MB Sonic Dual Edition Video Card Review

NCIX.com - Buy Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition 775MHZ 512MB GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port PCI-E Video Card - AE=4870S+0452 In Canada.

A list of 4870 from Ncix:

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

More reviews:

Palit HD4870 X2 Review Comment Thread

You will find more in the Video Card section.
Old October 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Just wanted to thank you guys for the help. I finally made my order yesterday and should get my parts next week.

Heres what i finally decided on.

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

PSU: Antec Signature SG850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK - Retail

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK HDT-RS1283 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail with the bracket... XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - Retail

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Dvd Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

Thats it besides a few other things like thermal grease and a few fans and lights i bought. Total with shipping came to $1504 (us) and i have around $100 in mail-in-rebates to send in.

I was going to stick with the corsair 750 but the deal on the antec sg850 was great as i only paid 150 bucks for it after the promo code and the bundle deal with the case.I read some great reviews on it and am really looking forward to getting it. (i know its overkill)

I thought about it for a long time and debated on weather to go with a 4870 or not... Decided to get the 280 as it is a tad bit faster and i really like nvidia.

The reapers were about the easiest decision to make as i kinda knew thats what i wanted from the start and i really like the look of them even though there a bit overpriced compared to some other 1066 ram.

Finally i decided to go with the dual core as it seems best for games and many people pointed me towards the e8500.

I get the parts in next week and will have the system up and running next weekend if all goes well. Will post some pictures.

Thanks again!