Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2008, 01:05 AM
Rookie

Wink Best Gaming Rig Under $2000?

Hello everyone, I'm new here, it's really hard to find a good canadian pc hardware forum like this, I'm glad I'm here... Anyway, my old P4 just died tonight, tried to revive it but no luck, I guess it's time to get rid of it anyway... I'm looking at a pretty serious gaming pc, so following the forum rules and here you go:

1. This pc is mainly for gaming.

2. Price range is 1.8k - 2k.

3. I'm only looking at the stores/websites in Edmonton area. (Such as BCom, MemoryExpress, etc.)

4. Brand preference... no nvidia mobo, other than this, none.

5. Parts I already have: Samsung 226BW LCD.

6. Not planning on over-clocking.

I've been reading posts here for the whole evening and came up with the following list:

CPU: Q9550

I want to go with Quad just because there may be more and more games start to support it. I want to stick with this setup for a long time, just like I sticked with my P4 for more than 5 years...

Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe

Can't decide on this one, compatibility and stability is my first concern, and also, no bottle-necks to other equipment.

Memory: 2 x Mushkin XP2-8500 2GB (Thinking about 8GB)

Not too sure about this one either, I've heard a lot of good review about this memory setup on here, so... Would 8GB worst it?

PSU: Themaltake ToughPower 750W

Same idea with the last one, good reviews... Also wondering if 1kw is too much?

Video: 2 x VisionTek 4850 - CrossFire

Love'em, the one part that I'm pretty sure in this list.

Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate 500GB SATA II w/NCQ - Raid 0

Thinking about 3 drives and go RAID 5, coz I hate it when my hard drive dies... suggestions?

Case: Antec 1200

This one seems to be a common choice on here, the only worry I have is noise, anybody own this case, please comment on how noisy is it?

HSF: Thermalright Ultra-120

On a side note, I do want this system to have a good cooling ability, coz a cooler system lasts longer, and I do want this system to last a long time before I have to buy a new one, hate this not because of the money, but the hassle...

Last edited by Terrance; October 5, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old October 3, 2008, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The Asus P5Q-E is a great motherboard im currently running a modded bios from Ket over at xtreme forums and its given my board very nice flexibility and stability with my Mushkin Ram it has no problem booting to 500fsb anyways i think you will love that board. I love all the Asus Energy saving programs like Six Engine i do not need a 4.0ghz clock all the time so being able to get that extra speed if i need to or go down to 1.5ghz when im just downloading with a click of a button is Ace for me.

The Seagate 7200.11 500gb hard drives run cool and are very nice have not had one fail on me yet i run 1 and my brother runs 2. Very good choice. I do not think you will need 8gb sticks but i cant tell if your going to be running Vista or Xp and as for Heatsink a great Heatsink would be either the OCZ Vendetta 2.

And Btw if your going to be stuck with this setup for a long time as previous 5 years id get that Quad too. Im sure itll still have kick then lol im dreamin of the day ill say " Just a quad thats ancient" Anyways good luck and post sum Picz!
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old October 3, 2008, 05:53 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

CPU, board are fine.
I'd go with some Mushkin Ascent 8000s, or 8500s - 2x 2Gb (I don't like Corsair Ram, and 8Gb is overkill).
PSU is definitely overkill, the TX750W would be more than adequate.
4850s cross-fired is a great setup.
Can't go wrong with the 7200.11s.
Case is a personal preference.
HSF: OCZ Vendetta II, same that Dashock recommended.
If you wish to use all 4Gb of Ram, you'll need a 64bit OS - either XP or Vista. I run 32bit Vista with 4Gb, and 3.3Gb are usable.

And Welcome to the Forums.
Old October 3, 2008, 07:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
CPU, board are fine.
I'd go with some Mushkin Ascent 8000s, or 8500s - 2x 2Gb (I don't like Corsair Ram, and 8Gb is overkill).
PSU is definitely overkill, the TX750W would be more than adequate.
4850s cross-fired is a great setup.
Can't go wrong with the 7200.11s.
Case is a personal preference.
HSF: OCZ Vendetta II, same that Dashock recommended.
If you wish to use all 4Gb of Ram, you'll need a 64bit OS - either XP or Vista. I run 32bit Vista with 4Gb, and 3.3Gb are usable.

And Welcome to the Forums.
QFT! Nearly exactly what I was going to say. If you ever decide to overclocking that CPU (I'd recommend atleast a little as that CPU + motherboard has plenty of room in it even at stock volts), you are going to want to be sure you have atleast PC2-8000 or 8500. And again, 4GB seems to be the sweet spot for Vista, and 2GB for XP. Personally, I'd go with Vista x64 and 4GB of ram. 8GB is currently way overkill unless you do heavy 3D or video work, and you can always throw in another set of 2x2GB DIMMs if 8GB is ever useful. The only other thing I could see changing is getting the WD 640GB drives over the 500GBs as they are faster (and quieter too IIRC).
Old October 3, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

All looks good, just a few small suggestions.. Hard Drives, spend few dollars more and go with the 640gb WD or Seagate, Seagate usually work better in RAID. Its not much to upgrade..

And for case, I personally like the Cooler Master HAF 932, bigger, better case, and in case you decide to go water cooling, you have one ready for it.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 3, 2008, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies! For HSF, neither MemoryExpress nor BCOM have OCZ ones... Any other ones have same or better performance with OCZ Vendetta II?

And for PSU, TX750W is enough even if I decide to go 3x 640G on RAID5 ? I don't want the PSU giving me any kind of trouble, since the PSU problems are usually hard to tell...

Now CASE, between CM HAF and Antec1200, which one is more quiet? My computer's going to be almost right beside my bed and I do a lot BitTorrent overnight...

And btw, here's the stores I'm going to pick up my parts from:

Memory Express System Configurator
BCOM Computer Centre
A-Computers
Old October 3, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

No the nwe 640gb's have only 2 platters, so cooler, quieter, and apparently it also supposed to be lower power consumption. The Antec 1200 case, I'm not entirely sure but I think those Antec fans can be noisy, but you can always change, if your looking for look then Antec definitely, if your looking for future proof, a little better build then I'd have to point to HAF 932, those fans aren't loud either.

RAID 5, do you have a RAID card, coz' you know you can't do RAID 5 with onboard RAID right, and I think you need 4 hard drives, somebody correct me please..

Memory express huh!! do you live in Edmonton by chance (me in Calgary though).. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler for P4/775 at Memory Express Computers Arctic Cooling for sure...

One advice to you, I would check both ncix and memory express, because I've had instances than including shipping costs, the total price for a full build is still cheaper than memory express.

I'll see if I can do some math though.. !!
Old October 3, 2008, 10:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Now CASE, between CM HAF and Antec1200, which one is more quiet? My computer's going to be almost right beside my bed and I do a lot BitTorrent overnight...
The HAF is very quiet. I run it right beside my bed. The Antec has a fan controller, so you can adjust the fan speeds to make it quieter. But the Antec has three blue Led fans, which could bother you during sleep.
The red led on the HAF is very subtle, and won't bother you. However, the Power and HDD Activity led on the HAF might be a little bright (i'm planning on doing a mod to it).
Old October 3, 2008, 10:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

What Charlie Said....word for word...do that....Go with a 64bit vista if you are even remotely considering 8GB Ram...I personally like Corsair Ram however many will recommend Muskins you do get great support with them...Dont forget some decent thermal paste MX-2 is the best...If you are going to stick to the 4850's and are looking for the Modular power supply then the HX620 will suffice as well...Have you checked out the WD 1TB black edition yet...that's a pretty sweet HD as well.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 3, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

If your going for a 1TB drive, Samsung F1 series honestly, it is one of the best 1tb drives out there.

Other than the hard drive part, I would go word to word with Charlie myself, hard drive since I suggested something else.