Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 09:15 PM
Rookie

So, I ordered some ram and a Sunbeam from DC - I must give credit where its due; they shipped in a matter of hours, and the billing process was straight forward and automated.

I ordered the Cosmos and 4870x2 from a somewhat local store (LU Computers) - with the card being the most expensive part, I feel a bit better knowing I can physically return it, but I think DC will get the rest of build order - I fell better now.

@Lithotech - thanks for the comparison chart. I find it interesting that the $2K card was only slightly better then the $200 in the Max 2008 tests - workstation cards may have a place somewhere, I'm just not seeing them in my future :P

@reaverclan - a 750 modular ps from Thermaltake is in my future.

@JRunior - I'm pleased to say, I am not in charge of our color management. But you'll be pleased to know the budget rivals this one.

@3.0Charlie Thanks for the support. things are looking better.

I'll be back when the parts start rolling in. Thanks again everyone.

MP

Old October 8, 2008, 09:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

Sweet good to hear the ball is rolling...you should post your PC progress in the Worklog section let the world see the build....

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 8, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I noticed a few people questioning your need of a 4870x2, so i thought i would alay your fears. You very likely will not gain any benifit from the GPU of the 4870 vs something much cheeper, HOWEVER 3d programs are generally very very RAM intensive, and while you wont gain from the two GPUs on the card, you WILL gain (in a VERY big way) from the 2 gigs of gddr 5 ram onboard that card. Not having alot of video ram isnt a big thing really when you first start a project, but after a while, when the project gets alot of models and textures showing, you're going to loose alot of performance and will have to start hiding models, running wireframe, turning textures off, using adaptive degridation... there are alot of things to do to help the problem, but having alot of video ram / system ram will allow you to keep alot more textures showing.

That said, to get the full 2 gigs of vram you'll have to run in crossfire mode, so you wont be able to use multiple monitors without getting a second card or usb video.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old October 11, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I was just wondering, are you using autodesk 2009, or autodesk 3ds max design 2009? I'f you have a choice, design is multi threaded and utilizes the quad very well.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old October 11, 2008, 08:40 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPoint View Post
@Lithotech - thanks for the comparison chart. I find it interesting that the $2K card was only slightly better then the $200 in the Max 2008 tests - workstation cards may have a place somewhere, I'm just not seeing them in my future :P
Glad to hear it. I admit the numbers don't make a whole lot of sense to me, other than as comparrisons. The tests themselves are a big unknown.

It seemed to me that the $1100 ATI card was the best bang for the buck, but really that is only if you see a test result that would apply to your situation.

The accompanying article explains that what you are really paying for is the drivers. The hardware cores themselves are basically no different than the gaming cards. It's a shame you can't just buy the driver and have it work with a mainstream card.

Good luck with the build!

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Last edited by Lithotech; October 12, 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old October 11, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

@ MP... You Jerk you missed my name :P... j/k.. I just help, hopefully I helped enough for you.. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 12, 2008, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Default Almost time

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
@ MP... You Jerk you missed my name :P... j/k.. I just help, hopefully I helped enough for you.. :)
Sorry I missed you in the landslide of help and support :P I did follow up on your comments though, so thank-you.

With any luck I should have everything tomorrow. My camera is charged and ready. On a side note, I have received the Sunbeam heatsink... wow, having only ever seen a stock heatsink, I can't get over the size of it, and it's smaller the the 120... got the ram and some fans - all from DC - funny the order I placed right here in Toronto area is taking longer to get ready

@tzetsin Both versions are the same binary, and neither are even partially multithreaded, at this point I would not even say it is 10% MT, as only a few operations are supported. Their whole multithreading gimmic is about the fact that viewports are multithreaded. Great if your watching an animation and tweaking it at the same time, not so much if your applying a shell mod to a few thousand objects. I'm keeping my eye on the competition :)

MP

Last edited by MeltingPoint; October 12, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old October 12, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPoint View Post
@tzetsin Both versions are the same binary, and neither are even partially multithreaded, at this point I would not even say it is 10% MT, as only a few operations are supported. Their whole multithreading gimmic is about the fact that viewports are multithreaded. Great if your watching an animation and tweaking it at the same time, not so much if your applying a shell mod to a few thousand objects. I'm keeping my eye on the competition :)

MP
Ah, i'm not up on the specs of how it works, i'm using vista 64 and peeked in on the task manager while doing some modeling and noted that all 4 cores were happily humming along. I was manipulating in the veiwport at the time, so it could be just what you were saying.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old October 12, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

@MP don't worry it was a joke man.. Glad to help :)..

Was that the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer you got?.. It is a nice one, sorry not trying to discourage you or anything negative, but so far I've seen all heatsinks with 4 heatpipes aren't performing as well as the hype was.. Just like Xigmatek S1283 is supposedly doing better than the newer S1284 which has 4 heatpipes.. Now off course all this is if you did get that Sunbeam CCF..

But I'll be anxious to see your results and temps.. Once you get the parts, open a Worklog in the Worklog section..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 13, 2008, 06:26 AM
Rookie

I admit, it was a snap decision - FrostyTech had(has) it listed as #1 - with the following comment:
Quote:
Larger diameter copper heatpipes are nothing new, so don't let Sunbeam's marketing materials
persuade you into thinking its 8mm copper heatpipes are revolutionary. The four heatpipes
are certainly effective, but we've seen a half-dozen other coolers with 8mm diameter heatpipes. :-)

I'm not overly convinced their methodology is the best, as it cuts out a few real world variables,
but for pure cooling power, it held it's own - the good news is I get 2 more tries after this one, the Ultra 120, and OCZ Vendetta 2 :)

@tzetsin - I didn't mean to sound like I jumped on you, Autodesk is really pushing my buttons these days. But the truth of the matter is, love and hate go hand in hand with them. I just wish they would pick any of their products and go for the gold with it, instead of simply providing a cobble of code to what they assume are mindless artists.

One more day to go, damn holidays :P
MP

Last edited by MeltingPoint; October 13, 2008 at 06:37 AM.