Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 11:35 AM
Rookie

I'm really glad to hear that. I'm hoping the case will cut down on noise even more then normal, but I'm relieved to hear your temperatures - much more reasonable. Thanks for the info!

MP
Old October 7, 2008, 09:10 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Hey Litho, I'm just thinking let's say MP decides to get the P5Q-E, will it be a mistake to step down from the Deluxe version, will he loose any "really need" features, or just a wise decision to save money ?.. If it was a budget, I would definitely suggest the P5Q-E, but since it is Autodesk, I wouldn't want to comment very highly.
I don't think it will affect his user experience much, if at all. It'll have no bearing on the software he is running.

Both boards support crossfire.

The main difference between the two boards is the heatpipe system in the Deluxe is piped to the southbridge where the E is not, and the Deluxe has a 16 phase power design where the E is an 8 phase.

The cooling pipe to the south bridge is not desireable to some people, because it will add heat to the already hot NB, and makes changing to aftermarket cooling more complicated. However, the south bridge doesn't generate a lot of heat in comparrison to the north bridge, and there is no need whatsoever for him to go to an aftermarket solution.

The 16 phase power design is certainly desireable in any situation, but I suspect it really shines in overclocking quad core CPUs. In normal use, the 16 phase design should provide more accurate and stable voltage to the components, with less VDroop. It probably has a lot more granularity in the voltage settings within the BIOS too.

I have found that, especially with Asus, the higher end boards just seem to run nicer. There are often other features included that are undocumented, such as more BIOS options etc. As well, all of the Asus software will be full and complete without any missing or disabled functions, because this is the top of the line (except that it is not the WIFI edition).

Is it worth the extra cost? With a system like this where the total cost is above 2K, I think so. The difference represents a very small percentage of the total cost.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Last edited by Lithotech; October 7, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old October 7, 2008, 09:30 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPoint View Post
Was it the P5Q-E that only had 1 pcix16 - if so, that's why I went for the deluxe - want to keep a few options open - and so far, well under budget.

I truly appreciate the time you guys are putting in. Any thoughts on additional cooling..NB SB?... is it needed (even just as a precaution) for a 24/7 machine?
No, the E has crossfire too.

I'll scan and post those vid card benches later today.

I don't think you need to worry about additional cooling. Something like the spotcool will just add noise, although it is quiet enough at low or med speed. The Cosmos has plenty of circulation, runs with a low pressure environment in that it has more exhaust than intake CFM. This works good in the Cosmos, making sure to suck out any hot air pockets that may be stagnant air.

Old October 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

Though I have the -PRO they have a good point if your going for $2000+ systems anyway the small extra cost of the Deluxe might be beneficial to you in the unforeseen future for very little difference in overall cost.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 7, 2008, 11:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian7 View Post
QFT, either of those boards are more than capable and will do you just fine. I find the 790i chipset to be a nightmare as I have had numerous bad experiences with those boards. Also, DDR3 will not net you the price/performance ratio of DDR2.

A Corsair 620 or PCP&C 750 would do you just fine for a power supply. No reason for 1kw.
i second the hx620w modular so its cleaner, and i have one and its has not failed me ever.
Old October 7, 2008, 12:07 PM
Rookie

Something i'd recommend for anyone doing graphic design is invest in a VERY good monitor. They don't all have to be 'top notch' but one of them ought to be. I had a friend in University a couple years back going through for Visual design and bought a nice rig at the time and won competitions prior to that. Unfortunately in University he used a great system and a crappy monitor. When it came down to presentations/printing (on a very expensive printer) the colours his monitor displayed weren't the same as the printer printed and the high resolution screens showed.

Nothing is worse than spending 20hrs on a project and realizing that your colours aren't '100%' even a little deviation can have some drastic effects in the end.

Something to keep in mind, you need to hunt down a very crisp and true colour monitor so that any work you do on your system will look the exact same to everyone else.

Jr,
Old October 7, 2008, 04:07 PM
Rookie

I'll reply to your comments as soon as I can, but for now I have another question.

Due to someone using my address or someone entering an address wrong, placed a fraudulent order sometime last year NCIX has MY personal address blacklisted, and refused to ship anything to it. All I could get out of them was that it was a different card, with a different name BUT my address (one slip of a finger and anyone could be blacklisted) Let's ignore the fact that I have my credit card company telling them its fine, what if I just moved in? (been living here 20yrs but...) I mean, I commend them for the security measure, but really, why ban a house? Not a name, not a card number, but a house. Then he tells me to have it shipped to a different address!!! LOL, I mean, that's what someone did, and he's telling me to do the same!!! Moron.

I just need to know that if there is a problem, I can get in contact with them, so good customer support. Any ideas? - personal experience?

I need a drink,
MP

Last edited by MeltingPoint; October 7, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old October 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Well, sit down, take a drink, realx and read this: NCIX, Direct Canada, NXSource and others are all one and the same... same owner, that is.

If you do ever order from DC, don't be afraid - I've ordered countless times from the site, and they have a very fast turn-around. The tracking is a bit sketchy, keep a close eye on the tracking page: you will eventually see a courier selected, and a tracking number next to it.

If you have an issue, do not call them / do not send a ticket via email. They do not respond. Simply use the Forum, right here and contact a member called DC_Support. Brad is usually pretty quick to reply to any issues.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:14 PM
Rookie

LOL, that figures - I guess my snippy comment "oh well, your loss" may not be true after all. I'm sure it's a waste of time now, but I'll put my cart in (DirectCanada) and see what happens. Their cheaper atleast :)

MP

Last edited by MeltingPoint; October 8, 2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old October 8, 2008, 12:00 PM
MVP

Does DC or NXSource pricematch?

Here is the Pro Graphics benchmarks chart for your perusal: