Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2008, 05:16 PM
Trial Member

Default Building a file server

Hello, I'm building a computer that I'd like to basically serve files over a network and I'd like some advice.

First of all, the main requirements I have for this computer is low heat output and noise. My apartment gets quite hot during the summer. If I leave my desktop on during the day when I'm not at home, it's boiling when I return at night. I'd like to leave this new file server on during the day so that I can access it via the internet from work etc. So it's very important that it doesn't produce a lot of heat. Low power consumption would also be nice since it will be on at all times.

I've heard that cases and power supplies are pretty important in terms of heat produced. So that's particularly what I'm looking for advice on. Size/Make/Model etc.

What I have in mind so far is:

- Intel Core 2 Duo ~2.5 gHz
- 2x ~500gb Seagate HDDs (RAID 1 for data)
- 1x smaller Seagate HDD (for operating system)
- ASUS motherboard w/ onboard LAN
- 4 gb RAM (I already have this lying around)
- Case ????
- Powersupply ????

Thanks for the help!
Old September 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
MVP

You don't need a high end computer just to run a file server. I think building using old parts or buying a NAS will save you some money.
Old September 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it's a file server I HIGHLY suggest you pick up THREE matching drives for your array and set them to RAID 5, this is RAID 1 with redundancy, you would still have 1TB of space to use with three 500gb drives. This way you won't lose any of your data if anything goes wrong with the array.

I can't comment on DB levels for a PSU/Case, I've never really worried about it. Someone with more experience may be able to help there.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 26, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Get an Antec Titan for your case. You will more than thank me later. NCIX.com - Buy Antec Titan 650 ATX Server Case 4X5.25 6X3.5INT Truepower Trio ATX12V V2.0 EPS12V 650W W/ 120MM Fan - TITAN 650 In Canada.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 26, 2008, 05:45 PM
MVP

Methinks getting one of these will save you some money (and the hassle):

- D-LINK DNS-343
- Cisco NAS200
- Synology CS-407
- QNAP TS-209 II

Or build a cheap computer and install FreeNAS or other NAS software.

Once again, you do NOT need a fast computer just to serve files (unless for some reason you're planning to install Vista on it).
Old September 26, 2008, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

400 !!

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
If it's a file server I HIGHLY suggest you pick up THREE matching drives for your array and set them to RAID 5, this is RAID 1 with redundancy, you would still have 1TB of space to use with three 500gb drives. This way you won't lose any of your data if anything goes wrong with the array.
QFT

RAID5 all the way.

----

And you dont need a good computer to run a fileserver , spaceman-spiff is correct....I'd suggest a Pentium 3 (coppermine) system with 1 GB ram would be great , relatively cool running chips , cheap and more than enough.See if you can get one somewhere.......you will of course need to invest in a raid card after that , but thats no biggie , you'll probably still save money.

---- Lastly , having lived in a top floor apartment with several computers , I understand heat all to well.I'm pretty sure I can help you mitigate if not eliminate your heat issues if your computers are near a window.Let me know.

Old September 26, 2008, 08:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

yeah, you're not going to be putting together a cool-running core 2 duo machine...
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old September 26, 2008, 09:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What about something like this?
NCIX.com - Buy Intel BOXD945GCLF2 MINI-ITX DDR2 945GC Dual Core Atom 1PCI Motherboard Retail - BOXD945GCLF2 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Chenbro ES34069 MINI-ITX Home SERVER/NAS Chassis - Includes External PSU - ES34069-BK-120 In Canada.

Though you'd need to get a PCI RAID card, but otherwise its cool running, has enough power and is fairly affordable. There's probably cheaper cases too that you could use but that was just one that's kinda made for this purpose.
Old September 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's easy to forget how efficient Core 2 chips are, since most of us are dumping extra voltage into them, overclocking them, and turning off the power-saving options. But underclocked (and even undervolted), they're actually extremely efficient, especially the 45nm chips. And the economy chips with reduced cache are pretty dirt cheap.

You might consider getting a dirt-cheap, economy dual-core chip and underclocking it. Yeah, P3's are low power, but even for a file server, they're pretty low powered. Whereas a cheap, 45nm chip running at 6x200 will have a far better processing power/heat ratio, especially if you leave on all the power-saving options.

Just a thought.
Old September 27, 2008, 03:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If heat and power consumption are the primary concerns I suggest buying a purpose built NAS enclosure like Spiff lists.

Building a PC based NAS is best if you already have the gear or you need more features.