Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2008, 02:57 PM
Rookie

Default shooting for a build, any idea's?

Well, if you could be so kind I am building a comp for a friend. So far I have made an intel and amd build of each. I am trying to figure out if I am overkilling anything or underkilling it respectively.

All that is wanted is 250GB HD and for it to go fast enough not too get annoying. wants to use it for the basics. (Watch movies, surf the web, no games or photo programs etc.) and he wants the desktop comp, have the monitor on it and everything.

here is my amd
Newegg.com - Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases CASE/PSU
Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards MOBO
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops CPU
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory Ram
Total is $607

Both have a DVD burner, 250G HD and vista 32Bit. (64B vista same price but I have not used it yet and do not know if its as software friendly.)

Intel
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards MOBO
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops CPU
Newegg.com - Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases CASE/PSU
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory RAM
Total is $627
Now what I guess what I really want to know is can I make this cheaper for him? I am not totally familiar with how each CPU handles and if 4G of ram is really required for basics of vista.

I am pretty sure everything is compatible and will fit in this case but If something is not compatible pointing it out would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Scutum_Deus; September 24, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old September 24, 2008, 04:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

CPU: The e7200 will outperform the x2 5000+, but x2 5000 + will be more than adequate for what you mentioned above.
RAM: If your friend isn't doing to hardware demanding things, pc6400 should do just fine.
MOBO: Not sure how good the IGP on the G31 board is but i've read good things on the IGP on the 780G board (AMD side of things), but i would go AMD side with that board, as the feature set is quite nice, not sure about the Foxconn board but the asus board w/ 780G chipset looks pretty good.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutum_Deus View Post
Intel
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards MOBO
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops CPU
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory RAM
Total is $627
Now what I guess what I really want to know is can I make this cheaper for him? I am not totally familiar with how each CPU handles and if 4G of ram is really required for basics of vista.

I am pretty sure everything is compatible and will fit in this case but If something is not compatible pointing it out would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Greatly appreciated, thank you.
Judging by his basic computing needs, you can save him $36 by getting the:

E5200

You could save $50 by getting:

E2180

Yes, they're less powerful than the E7200...but it doesn't really sound like he needs much power. The lower cache of the 2 models i mentioned, likely won't be noticeable by him. I just built a PC for my daughter for university, and i used an E2160... and it's a peppy little processor(and runs cool and sips electricity). They aren't sluggish the way Celerons used to seem...compared to P4's. I would stick with the 4GB of RAM for VISTA...especially if you're using onboard graphics....as it uses some RAM for the video. GL