Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2008, 12:51 AM
Rookie

Question A simple and complicated question

Ok, so I wanna learn to build my PC. I have most of it down, but is there a good guide or can someone put down what means what on any given component? I have been looking up most of the components or features I dont understand piece by piece but a lot of the sites I found are lacking in explaining in regards to building a PC...
An example.
Chipsets: What exactly do chipsets do on the MOBO, I understand they control certain aspects of the MOBO but do they control compatability with other components?
I realize this is a broad question which is why I am asking for a forum or site...I wanna understand completely the PC I build, from simple Sata connections to understanding chipsets and all the little things with ram/CPU/vid cards.

Appreciate any help on the topic.
Old September 22, 2008, 02:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

Well it would take forever to try and write about every part of a computer, so what I would do is take a look at something like this:
Howstuffworks "Computer Hardware Channel"

just to understand the basics. Once you have that, just google the specific parts that you don't understand. If that doesn't work, ask a specific question here. In order to build your own pc, you don't need to fully understand everything that goes on in the pc though, what you need to know is :

1. What do I want to do with My PC? Game, photoshop, e-mail & web surfing etc...

2. What Parts do I need? probably: Case, PSU, Motherboard, CPU (and heatsink), Ram, Video Card, Hard Drive, DVD Drive... and anything else you want to add.

3. What is my budget?

4. Do I want to Overclock my CPU or Videocard?

Once you know those things then make a post in the new builds section and ask for advice. Advice on which parts and why they are better then other parts. This will help you understand small details. Do you need to know what your chipset does.. maybe... you need to know enough not to buy a amd processor with a intel p45 chipset. But you don't need to know exactly how it does what it does. Here look at this:
Intel P45 Express Chipset - Overview

It will give you some details on that specific chipset, and based on the features and benefits you will get an idea of what all chipsets do.

So yes to answer your question your choice of components are limited based on your choice of your chipset. When you look at a motherboad it will tell you the compatible products with it.
Old September 22, 2008, 03:03 AM
Rookie

I can live with that, very glad I was directed to this site, seems so much more hospitable than some others, and definitely has more knowledge flying around.