Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2008, 05:28 PM
Rookie

Default Need a New System -- Input Greatly Appreciated

A solid Canadian tech forum; it's existence is much appreciated. Anyway, I'm looking to build a new system, and really need help with the configuration. As general information, I'm an avid user of my laptop--a temporary machine--for internet use, movies (only playing), music (only playing), and gaming (not really into photo-editing or graphic design or anything). I'm not really a 'hardcore' gamer, either, but a beast that shines when given the chance would be great. I love seeing performance coming from stuff I love.

So, as for the new system, my budget is a maximum of $1500 for just the tower (anything less is fine, of course). I have a few things I'm looking into, also.

Case: HAF 932 -- that thing is badass

Processor: Q9450(?) --want a quad-core, even if a dual-core will perform better in gaming. Also want to slap a OCZ Vendetta II on it.

HD: WD Caviar SE16 640GB -- read very good reviews of it

Graphics: ATI HD4870 -- No nVidea allowed. Also, read it is a great card

RAM: 4GB DDR2-800 -- I don't need bundles of RAM, and believe this will suffice

MOBO: I have no idea. I really need help here. May be overclocking the processor, too.

Power Supply: No idea.

CD/DVD Drive: Suggestions?

Sound, Network, etc.: Will I need anything?

As you can see, I have general ideas for some parts, but no specifics (with the exception of maybe the case and hard drive). I'm unfamiliar with 'good' RAM sets to purchase, a decent name to purchase the graphics under, a decent CD/DVD drive, and am clueless in terms of the MOBO and PS. This is where I'd appreciate the help. Specifics is what I'm going to need if anything is going to be purchased and thrown (not so literally) together.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help (and I live in Ontario, for the record).

-hopes he didn't forget anything, especially obvious-
Old September 19, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's a great system. For the power supply, get a Corsair HX620. For the DVD burner, get one of the Samsung models that can be bought cheaply from NCIX. You won't need a network card, and you might need a sound card, depending on how nice your speakers are. Motherboard, ASUS P5Q Pro or the Gigabyte EP35/45 series. Basically, any P35/P45 chipset will do.

The OCZ Vendetta 2 is a great cooler. My E7200 is below 55C under OCCT load. However, OCZ released some newer coolers that might offer better performance. Look around and see if you can find reviews for those.

What monitor will you be using? If you're going to use a 20 to 22", a 4850 or GTX 260 216SP should be more than enough.

Also, can you answer the stickied thread? It'll greatly help us with your build.
Old September 19, 2008, 08:44 PM
Rookie

It's likely I'll be using a 22" monitor, so thanks for the tip there.

And I hope I have the right thread (it looks like the only one):

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Internets, playing music/movies, non-hardcore gaming. No work with graphics or models or anything.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1500 max on the tower, but less is fine.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Intel Quad Core CPU, ATI graphics.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Nope.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yup, but I'm of course lost where I know little to nothing.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

May overclock, but nothing extreme.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

The sooner the better. Two weeks absolute latest, so within the week is excellent.
Old September 20, 2008, 08:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

A 4850 offers great performance for it's price.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old September 20, 2008, 08:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you're getting the Q9450 and plan to overclock, you really need to get a P45-chipset based motherboard. Otherwise you won't be achieving very high clocks.

Power Supply, I'd say the Antec Quattro 850W since it seems to be on sale quite a bit at NCIX for $150. Can't really go wrong at that price as it's a solid PSU, lots of power for future upgrades and it's modular to boot.

Video card, depending on how much money you have left, either the HD4850 or HD4870 since you like ATI. Plus you could go Crossfire down the road with a P45 motherboard.

One word of advice, use Price Canada to price match everything and make sure you carefully look over the current NCIX sales. Majority of the time the sale prices are not actually shown on the product pages unless you use the link from the sale page. You'll easily save money by doing this.

Oh and ordering from NCIX means you only pay 5% taxes too. However I'd try and see if you can get the case locally since shipping would be quite a bit.

If your in the GTA area then you could get the case from Canada Computers
Old September 20, 2008, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since you might overclock, get the P45 chipset motherboards and Vendetta 2 or Xigmatek HDT S-1283.

A 4850 will be more than enough for your 22" monitor.
Old September 20, 2008, 08:52 AM
Top Prospect

Intel has a price "modification" coming in October so do wait at least 2 weeks.

Links on your products help a great deal for comparative assessments.

PSU look at HX1000 if you want a bit of head room:

Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 140MM Fan - DirectCanada

Motherboard would have to consider:

DFI LP UT X48-T3RS - Info, overclocking tips & photos
or
Biostar Tpower I45 ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2OC 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN CrossFireX Motherboard - DirectCanada

The Biostar is for single video card solutions (x8/x8 in crossfire) but will give you some sick FSB OC potential.

RAM

Corsair XMS2 Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 240PIN Dual Channel Memory W/ Fan - DirectCanada

Would defiantly be worthy of consideration.

DVD/CD I suppose you should consider a Blu-Ray SATA burner.