Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2008, 02:40 PM
Allstar

Default Multiple systems in one case

Having an itch you can't scratch is like wanting to build a system without having a need for yet another one. I have been considering getting an Antec P180 or 900 for a while now. I decided on the P180 with the plan to build 3 systems in the same case.

I removed the top drive cage which is to hold 2 hdd's or used as an air duct for a 120mm fan.

1st system:
I made a motherboard tray out of MDF and installed it instead of the hdd cage. I used my Intel D201GLY2 which is a mini-itx mobo for my print server, fax server, file server system. Since this system uses a power brick, there was no need to install a 2nd ATX power supply in the case.

2nd system:
I installed my ASRock Conroe1333-D667 in the traditional place and used a Coolermaster 550 watt psu eventhough it's overkill ... for now.

Wiring:
I used the reset button on the case as the power switch for the 1st system along with a hdd led.
I ran the leads from my KVM through an open PCI cover at the rear and the rest of the cables for this system through the gromits in the back. Since this system is on 24/7, I connected the rear 120mm fan to this system for air flow.

The 2nd system is wired standard and the two other 1200mm fan are running off the Coolermaster.

Hard drives:
I have 4 hdd's installed in the hdd cage at the bottom of the case. One 500GB for the server system 1 and 3 others attached to the ASRock mobo.

I found that there are some areas in the case which are sharp like around the power supply area. I also found the connectors on the 120mm fan provided were kind of cheap and I actually broke one of them. However, I really like the quality of this case.

The 3rd system ... well I do have a plan to add it later. I forsee using a M-ATX mobo and mouting in front of the ASRock board. Since this ASRock has no pci or video card installed, there is room to add it. Also, the power requirements of a M-ATX mobo, celeron D 4xx series cpu, hdd and dvd drive is only about 115 watts. A small power supply will be needed, along with some better cable management to pull it off.
Attached Images

Old September 19, 2008, 02:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Very cool!!

I had looked at the TT Mozart case because it was designed to install a standard motherboard and a Mini-ITX, but this is the first time I've seen somebody do it in a standard case.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 19, 2008, 08:00 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Very cool!!

I had looked at the TT Mozart case because it was designed to install a standard motherboard and a Mini-ITX, but this is the first time I've seen somebody do it in a standard case.
The key is getting around the power supply requirement and size.
Getting the 3rd one in there will be a challenge.

I looked at the TT Mozart last year but that case is huge and only fits 2 systems ...
When I first saw it I assumed that you could build 4 std systems in it ... what a let down.
Old October 2, 2008, 12:53 PM
Top Prospect

Sorry, I was just browsing around but I got to say that this is an awesome idea.
Old October 2, 2008, 01:14 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminal View Post
Sorry, I was just browsing around but I got to say that this is an awesome idea.
Thanks.

Building custom systems can be very satisfying. It doesn't need to have the latest fire breathing components to be interesting. For me, it all started years ago when I built my 1st kitchen pc featured here in an article I wrote in Apr 05 ...
ABXZone.com - A Custom PC for the Kitchen
Old October 2, 2008, 01:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

Interesting. Is there a specific use you have for doing this?
Old October 2, 2008, 01:30 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
Interesting. Is there a specific use you have for doing this?
It started out as the "Little Valley" build shown here ...
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...le-valley.html

My original idea was to build two mini-atx systems and after getting the case, it seemed like a good plan to disassemble the Little Valley and integrate it in the P180. It's better protected and reduces the systems I have all over the place. I still plan to add a 3rd system but with the main system on the left triple booting, I don't require a third yet and maybe never will.
Old October 2, 2008, 02:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Very cool!